Author Topic: WiFi Cam for Inside (Looking out window)  (Read 833 times)

Offline gpbarth

• Beautiful downtown Palmerton
WiFi Cam for Inside (Looking out window)
« on: April 24, 2017, 10:44:54 PM »
I don't have a professional PWS (AcuRite 5n1), but I'd still like to include a weather cam, looking out my 2nd floor rear window at the nearby mountain. Don't want to run any wire (aside from the power supply cube), so it has to be WiFi. Have a WiFi router in the house, so I'd just like to ask the "experts" up here for advice on a decent, fairly inexpensive cam that I can send to Weather Underground. Doesn't have to be IR, because the subject of the view will be overlooking the town, and at the mountain, which is about a half-mile away. Strictly weather-related.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
-= Gary =-

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WiFi Cam for Inside (Looking out window)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
Hi Gary, I don't have a wifi camera to suggest but I too use a webcam (but wired) looking out a north window from inside. Because you are pointing at glass you definitely want to avoid IR or you'll see a bright glare at night. I opened mine up and disabled the IR to get around this. Good luck.

Offline gpbarth

• Beautiful downtown Palmerton
Re: WiFi Cam for Inside (Looking out window)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:04 PM »
Yeah, I don't need IR, as it will be focused at a distance, not anywhere within, say, 10 meters. And I'll probably have it right up against the glass, to prevent any glare. Any night-time views will probably get the street lights in the town, but nothing of interest. I want to get the Blue Mountain scenery, because the mountain really displays the weather - rain, snow, and the seasons changing, from winter to spring to fall.
-= Gary =-