Author Topic: Host FlightRadar Equipment Application  (Read 1170 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Host FlightRadar Equipment Application
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
From the USPLN sensor request thread, I went looking and found that this company also provides equipment to suitable hosts.  I'm not really that interested in aircraft, but I figured why not try it since I'm in such an open area.

https://www.flightradar24.com/apply-for-receiver

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Host FlightRadar Equipment Application
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
I know a couple of folks have built their own, but has anyone been approved for and received one of their pre-packaged kits?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
My gut feeling when reading their info a few years ago was that they were only sending out free units to places with *huge* gaps (100+ miles) in their existing coverage.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:59:30 PM »
Well, that could be me. I'm a long ways from any big airports.  Only a couple of regional ones and they're quite some distance.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »
I don't know what their business plan is, but the data, from either their receivers or ones that people build using the Raspberry Pi stuff, is the same.  It isn't as if their receiver gets more accurate data, so in the long run if they can get people to put $50 to $ 100 bucks towards it just fiddling around out of curiosity, they are a lot better off than trying to populate the country with their own equipment.

I was approved for a receiver then got waylaid, and that was both before many were in place around the country and before the alternative tools (our own receiver stick and RaspPi) were available, so I'm sure they were a lot more eager to furnish receivers years ago.

In any event, keep your fingers crossed if you are interested in their equipment and let us know what ever comes of it all.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 03:16:23 PM »
I will not be building my own.  Not my cup of gruel.  I can barely keep a PC running as it is.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 12:03:27 AM »
I applied for and was approved for a FlightRadar24 receiver and antenna several years ago. I had to submit photos showing my location in a 360° view. I was accepted and have had my FR24 unit operational for several years. The only problem I've ever had with it was the power cable coming unplugged from the unit. It sits up high in my closet and every once in a while I'll hit the extension cord feeding it which then causes the unit to lose power. All my fault, not that of the unit.

As for how they determine new receiver locations, it has nothing to do with how far apart the airports are. It is solely determined by the number of receivers covering a given area. In my case, I just happen to live in an area where there are lots of mountains and thus, poor coverage due to shadowing. I have a pretty clear view of the sky south of Reno, Nevada and am the only receiver in my area for many miles around. That is most likely why I was accepted in the free program.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
Thank you for your interest in hosting an ADS-B receiver from Flightradar24. The supply of equipment is limited and at this time we are prioritizing other locations.

We will keep your application on file in case we would be interested in having an additional ADS-B receiver in your area.  If you have some other locations, where you could install the equipment, please do not hesitate to send us one more application.

Oh boo-hoo.  I'm so shattered!   :sad:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 12:24:38 PM »
I was afraid of that.

Too easy for folks who have the over riding interest to home brew a situation and Flight Radar gets the data for free, except for their letting you have access to the database, which is not really a lost sale since you and I couldn't afford their subscription anyway.

Pretty sweet deal for them, but when no one comes forward, they'll cough up an installation.

Sorry to hear, I know you were stoked.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything