Author Topic: What should I buy?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline FedeR

What should I buy?
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:13:39 PM »
Hallo everybody,

This is my first post and I have to admit that I know nothing about what I am about to ask.

I would like to buy a station so to monitor the weather in the area where I live since there are no reliable data on the web (or maybe I don’t know where to look at). I would like the station to store data so I can export them whenever I want, better if in excel file or something easily convertible into it. It is not of basic importance but maybe there is also an option that regularly sends the data to my email given that I am often far from the selected site for periods longer than a month. I am not a big fan of apps and I am not an IT but still if there is anything interesting why not.

Data needed: Temperatures, rainfalls, RH, wind speed and solar radiation.

Extreme meteorological events: tropical rainfalls during rainy season with abundance of lightning and occasional dust/sand storms during dry season. I don’t want to capture lightning and sand storms but maybe because of these I would need something resistant.

Power supply at site: Power available, fluctuating and with frequent cuts. solar+generator

Internet: available

Price: open to various options, maybe for what I need it is enough a very cheap solution. Maybe not.

What are the best options I have for this? Thank you in advance for the support

All the best
Federico

PS sorry for my english. I hope I was clear enough.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: What should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »
No offense but I wish I had a nickle every time this question was asked.
Get a Davis VP2+ it can run without outside power both console and ISS for several months. Its as close to professional you can get without spending 5K plus.
Randy

Offline FedeR

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »
Thank you for replying so proptly.

Tell me your IBAN and I send you the nickle :)

All the best
Federico

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 06:51:26 PM »
You will also need a data logger for viewing online when not there. I would recommend weatherlink IP so computer doesn't need to be running and still send data to Weather Underground or/and WeatherLink.com for viewing data anywhere worldwide. That is as long as you have a router and internet connection.

Link to weatherlink IP.  http://www.davisnet.com/product/weatherlinkip-for-vantage-stations/
Randy

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 06:58:01 PM »
Second vote on the Davis Vantage Pro 2+. Very reliable and accurate for the location. You can get a basic VPro 2 and add solar if you want to keep the price down but I would go for the VPro 2+ station and get everything at once. Several programs put out the files that you need and one that comes to mind is Virtual Weather Station. Very easy to use with lots of features.

Oh and ValentineWeather......I know of a Nigerian prince who promises to make a deposit in your account if you send him your bank account number...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 07:03:46 PM »

Oh and ValentineWeather......I know of a Nigerian prince who promises to make a deposit in your account if you send him your bank account number...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the $500 transfer fee of course.  :-) 
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »
Nope.  Not Davis in this case.  http://tahmo.org/  And there is another outfit giving out Raspberry Pi wifi-based units for purposes such as yours.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »
Nope.  Not Davis in this case.  http://tahmo.org/  And there is another outfit giving out Raspberry Pi wifi-based units for purposes such as yours.
Looks good. Temp wise at least, I'll stick with my SHT31. ;)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 07:43:05 PM »
My point is that for places lie the Sudan, .01 accuracy is not needed.  The basics apply here.  Robust wx stations win 24/7/365
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 07:43:56 PM »
Third vote for Davis VP2 ,  usb data logger. Although if you have a computer with a serial port (and it would be an older one)  a serial logger  is a good choice.
IF you also are interested they have a daylight or a 24 hour FARS if that interests you.

I have a VP2, had it for 10 years now.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 08:52:25 PM »
My point is that for places lie the Sudan, .01 accuracy is not needed.  The basics apply here.  Robust wx stations win 24/7/365
Granted.
I don't live in the Sudan, but 9 summers where I live with a completely structural viable ISS is nothing to sneeze at.

anything