Author Topic: USAWeatherFinder website needs a new home  (Read 1910 times)

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
USAWeatherFinder website needs a new home
« on: May 12, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
USAWeatherFinder.com has recently celebrated its 10 birthday and is still going strong. However, it is time for some new blood to take over this wonderful resource for personal weather stations located in the USA. Here is a little background.

First, I'm not selling it, I'm offering it free to any interested individual. The cost of operation is minimal and consists of domain name renewal yearly ($15-25) and web hosting, unless you run it from your own home server. It runs easily on the minimum host platform from most any provider and costs should be under $40/year. If you already have a host, many providers support hosting of an additional domain for a nominal fee. Once installed it requires no coding experience unless you want to make modifications. Time required for admin duties is literally minutes a week just to log in and check that there are no edits requested. It takes about 30 seconds. The site sends emails notifications of new members who can be approved within seconds. I am prepared to assist with moving the site to a new location and to get it operational. Currently USAWF is a not-for-profit endeavor that does not contain advertising or have any monetary incentive. However, the site code is capable of inserting ads should it be desired.

If you are interested please feel free to reply here with any questions you may have so that my replies can be viewed by other prospective individuals. I can also be reached at rick@usaweatherfinder.com if needed.

For those not familiar with USAWF, here is a blurb from the site: 

What is USA Weather Finder?
USA Weather Finder is a weather station web directory that allows you to submit your personal weather station website to be listed, rated, and viewed by state. Unlike other toplist weather sites, USA Weather Finder only lists Personal Weather Stations that are located in the United States, and groups listings by state. The limitation to USA sites should not be interpreted as being US-centric or biased, it is simply a reflection of the fact that web site visitors typically want weather information on a regional basis rather than an international basis. By providing category listings for each state, visitors can easily view regional data from multiple sites, and Personal Weather Station operators have an opportunity to have their site listed as a top site in their region. This site does not list weather blogs, or other weather sites that do not host a personal weather station.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: USAWeatherFinder website needs a new home
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »
Very nice website, too bad it is also not available for other regions, it would be nice to have like one central page with links to all various sites

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 10:58:20 PM »
If it needs a home I could put it on my server where I currently host my weather website and blog. The only extra cost for me would be the annual domain renewal which isn't that much.

Offline W9LRT

• Technology Evangelist
  • Weather Geek
    • W9LRT
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
Can you share a little more information about what is required under the hood?  i see it uses PHP.  Does it talk to a mySQL database behind the scenes?  Any other requirements?

Thanks,

Offline up10ad N9RJH

• USA Weather Finder
  • WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
  • Station will be back up someday...
    • Forecaster without a site
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:28:43 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has replied.  Here is some additional information.

It is php driven and makes use of the discontinued Aardvark Topsites php Script.  I don't view that as a problem since it doesn't require any updates and has never had a security issue; its just not a big enough target and contains no sensitive information. Technical details are available at http://usaweatherfinder.com/phpinfo.php. It runs on almost any server  with the standard LAMP/WAMP services.

Take a look and ask any additional questions. I'm happy to let any serious parties take a look by giving them an admin login, and I'll walk through the operation over the phone.
Rick (N9RJH)
Have you joined USAWeatherFinder.com yet?

anything