Author Topic: My old reliable Davis Monitor ll  (Read 1888 times)

Offline stanleyjohn

• My Weatherstation Page
My old reliable Davis Monitor ll
« on: June 25, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
Been up and running for 15 years! Windspeed and direction on the main house roof on a tripod.On the garage roof below the satellite dish is the heated rain Guage.The north side of the house! (not shown) is the temp and humidity sensors.The other pic is my monitor ill console.The only problem i have had was a few years back my rain gauge failed and i ordered a new reed switch for it and fixed it. Update! Remember Heathkit??? That was my first weather station! still have it but not in use anymore.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 07:43:17 PM by stanleyjohn »
Been into weather a long time and have been using my Davis Monitor weather station for over 10 years now.
http://www.stansweatherpage.com/Current_Monitor.htm

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
Re: My old reliable Davis Monitor ll
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:42:10 AM »
Very nice!
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline ak926

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:49:48 AM »
Looking to buy a Davis Weather Station soon, wondering how long they should last ? Considering they run 24/7, 365 days a year.
Anthony

Offline stanleyjohn

• My Weatherstation Page
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
My older davis weather station has been running 24/7 15 years now with only one problem! a faulty reed switch in my rain gauge a few years back.Davis was very helpful with getting me a new part!.
Been into weather a long time and have been using my Davis Monitor weather station for over 10 years now.

Offline ak926

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »
I had a Heathkit 4001 back in the 1980's growing up, loved it !  This was at my parents house with the full NWS coop station in the backyard. I have been in a condo the last few years , will be moving soon and am looking for which weahter station  to put on the roof .
Anthony

Offline stanleyjohn

• My Weatherstation Page
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:31 AM »
I had a Heathkit 4001 back in the 1980's growing up, loved it !  This was at my parents house with the full NWS coop station in the backyard. I have been in a condo the last few years , will be moving soon and am looking for which weahter station  to put on the roof .
Anthony
I also had fun with my heathkit back in the old days!but then they went under and i wanted to upgrade.Davis has very popular weather stations and they have been around awhile with good support.I have recently added my monitor ll (obsolete) to a web page! its old 80s style but i like it.Many others with newer stations have fancier web pages  :grin: heres my page http://www.stansweatherpage.com/Current_Monitor.htm

Offline txagwx

• Meteorologist
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
Still have my weather monitor 2 from 1994.  Still running.

Amazed.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 10:41:59 AM »
Fifteen to twenty years is amazing life. No problem with the direction (vane) pot getting noisy or the anemometer bearings going bad?

My old DalSemi station developed a bad reed switch (wind direction, handled differently than Davis) and the anemometer bearings developed noticeable drag.

My local METAR station (KPZQ) had erratic wind speed and I contacted the airport manager. The new set was Vaisala and I believe that the old one was too. No idea on how old that wind set was.

I would expect that any mechanical (or electro-mechanical) part will eventually fail. Congrats on the long life of your Davis stations!

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF