Author Topic: 24-Hour Fan DC Powered  (Read 3529 times)

Offline ct

• Contributor
Re: 24-Hour Fan DC Powered
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:11 PM »
For those few people who want to run mains power without turning their FARS into some Frankenstein mess with a square fan and putty.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 11:44:56 PM »
For those few people who want to run mains power without turning their FARS into some Frankenstein mess with a square fan and putty.
What? My ISS structurally is completely unmodified. I could put the stock motor back in literal minutes. My "frankenstein mess" required trimming two tabs on the fan 1/8", which fits as snug as the stock fan and sure as hell performs better than anything your speaking of.

Offline SpartanWX

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »
I too was concerned with the reliability and underperformance of the piddly little fan in a stock FARS setup. So I'm now I'm running duplex alternating 240V, 2HP squirrel cage blowers on a custom built stainless steel plenum. Of course I've got the whole shebang tied in to my standby generator. At 500 CFS apiece we are talking serious responsiveness!

Overkill? Maybe. But the fine variations in temperature changes I can monitor with this setup make it all worth it. If a gnat farts within so much as 10' of the intake I'm gonna know about it!
Good grief! You'll be sucking up squirrels and such with that.
I may be crazy, but I think too much air forced into the sensor chamber causes back pressure, potentially artificially heating the chamber. That was my experience when I had rope putty sealing the square fan into the round hole. I removed the putty and temps seemed more reasonable, plus the fan wasn't working as hard either.
I wanted to make sure that I mitigated any potential pressure related heating, so I have the sensor suspended in the middle of the 36" diameter custom intake with some 2 pound monofilament.  I haven't measured it directly, but the constant estimated 30 MPH breeze bathing the sensor in fresh air means that no slight temperature perturbation goes unnoticed.  So far, the squirrels appear to be scared of the thing.  There's been no problems with them jamming up the works. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
I too was concerned with the reliability and underperformance of the piddly little fan in a stock FARS setup. So I'm now I'm running duplex alternating 240V, 2HP squirrel cage blowers on a custom built stainless steel plenum. Of course I've got the whole shebang tied in to my standby generator. At 500 CFS apiece we are talking serious responsiveness!

Overkill? Maybe. But the fine variations in temperature changes I can monitor with this setup make it all worth it. If a gnat farts within so much as 10' of the intake I'm gonna know about it!
Good grief! You'll be sucking up squirrels and such with that.
I may be crazy, but I think too much air forced into the sensor chamber causes back pressure, potentially artificially heating the chamber. That was my experience when I had rope putty sealing the square fan into the round hole. I removed the putty and temps seemed more reasonable, plus the fan wasn't working as hard either.
I wanted to make sure that I mitigated any potential pressure related heating, so I have the sensor suspended in the middle of the 36" diameter custom intake with some 2 pound monofilament.  I haven't measured it directly, but the constant estimated 30 MPH breeze bathing the sensor in fresh air means that no slight temperature perturbation goes unnoticed.  So far, the squirrels appear to be scared of the thing.  There's been no problems with them jamming up the works.
I'll bet you use C4 to take out an ant hill too. :-P

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
What? My ISS structurally is completely unmodified. I could put the stock motor back in literal minutes. My "frankenstein mess" required trimming two tabs on the fan 1/8", which fits as snug as the stock fan and sure as hell performs better than anything your speaking of.

That was exactly my thoughts when I saw this page:-
http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1865.0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Really? Just trimming the lower tabs a bit so they'd fit in, let the upper tabs support the fan....
If really concerned about the gap, just add a simple gasket or plate underneath.

Phil.

Edit:- Even some foam would do to fill the gap.
Not exactly what you would call a mess.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:44:17 PM by Phil23 »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
Really? Just trimming the lower tabs a bit so they'd fit in, let the upper tabs support the fan....
Exactly what I did, fits like it was meant to be. Forget sealing it.
My god, that dude went to a hellofalot of trouble.

anything