Author Topic: wmr200 outdoor temp sensor not working  (Read 15094 times)

Offline sony73

wmr200 outdoor temp sensor not working
« on: January 25, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
I got a wmr200a for Christmas. I can't get the outdoor temp sensor to work. Its on channel 1. Other gauges work. I sent back the original sensor they sent me a new one. Still doesn't work. Sent the second on back, got new one, still doesn't work. I tried everything still can't get it to work.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Re: wmr200 outdoor temp sensor not working
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:37:05 AM »
I got a wmr200a for Christmas. I can't get the outdoor temp sensor to work. Its on channel 1. Other gauges work. I sent back the original sensor they sent me a new one. Still doesn't work. Sent the second on back, got new one, still doesn't work. I tried everything still can't get it to work.

sony73, you have no doubt tried the obvious by doing a search for all sensors. The only other suggestion I can offer is, check all ten channels on the console. You said it's set on channel 1, but the console could have been wired wrong during manufacture. It definitely sounds like a console problem if you have tried three sensors.

Good luck,

Alan.
Alan

Offline sony73

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
Do a channel search on all 10 channels? Do I select channel 2 then wait to see if it comes up. If nothing keep going? I will give it a shot. I will keep you informed.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:51:03 AM »
Do a channel search on all 10 channels? Do I select channel 2 then wait to see if it comes up. If nothing keep going? I will give it a shot. I will keep you informed.

Yes, click on the temperature/humidity area of the console and then click "CH" bottom left, repeat until you have checked all 10 channels, It will only take a few seconds. If no temperature and humidity show, I would say you have a duff console and the 3 sensors were fine.

Alan
Alan

Offline sony73

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »
I did what you said to no avail. I contacted the seller. They responded saying there is still a bad batch of thgn801 senors,even the new ones they received. I will see what happens. By the way the wind and rain sensors work fine, come up at once.I will keep you informed.
Thanks

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »
I got my WMR200a this past week.  The wind and rain sensors are working fine buy not my outside temp/humidity sensor.  I wonder if I have the same problem you're having.  Did you get a solution yet?  Whom did you call for service?  Was it fast?
The more I'm around some people -
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline txpgapro

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:22:21 PM »
After being on hold for 12 minutes, going through all the reset mumbo-jumbo, they gave me a RMA number.  A replacement will be sent once they recieve mine.  WOW!  Most companies would overnight one to me and then I would return the bad part in the box the new one came in.  I am going to make a mark on the unit so I know if they are returning the same one or actually sending a new one.  I don't trust anyone now-a-days.
The more I'm around some people -
the more I like my dog!

Davis Vantage Pro2 IP

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »
Thats the difference between OS customer service and Davis customer service.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline sony73

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:13 AM »
I bought my wmr200a from explora store. After getting 2 sensors from them that didn't work, they told my to send back the sensors and main consul. They confirmed a sensor was bad. They got the thing to work at their place and sent it back to me. Will be here on 3-10-09, in working condition. I should have put a mark on the main unit to see if it was switched out, but I didn't think of it. Don't you think they would expedite shipping but they did,'t. I just want the thing to work. The manufacture is worthless, had to deal with the seller. I was almost at the point of sending the whole thing back for a refund.I will let you know when I get the unit back if it works.

Offline sony73

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:22 AM »
I received my unit back and it works. Don't know what they did. Replace main unit. They didn't tell me. But its working, finally after2 months.

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:29:52 AM »
I received my unit back and it works. Don't know what they did. Replace main unit. They didn't tell me. But its working, finally after2 months.

Good news glad to hear it's now working. Contrary to a lot of reports I believe the WMR 200 is a good station, perhaps not as good as Davis, but here in the UK it's half the price.

Alan
Alan

Offline terence2428

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »
I have just purchased a WMR200 in Australia and was unable to get the console to read the outside temp sensor. I have requested a replacement through the retailer. I got a phone call from Oregon scientific to say that the replacement will not be available until the end of september (2009) so until then I can't tell if the system is going to work properly or not. Very dissapointed.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 07:33:02 AM »
I would try to make the retailer take back the whole system, and replace it with another complete system.  how long ago did you buy?  If they dont take it back, try to go through your visa card provider.  Many have lemon policies/protection.  Is it  the replacement outdoor sensor that they say is apparently out of stock? I cant see them being out of entire systems.

Andrew

I have just purchased a WMR200 in Australia and was unable to get the console to read the outside temp sensor. I have requested a replacement through the retailer. I got a phone call from Oregon scientific to say that the replacement will not be available until the end of september (2009) so until then I can't tell if the system is going to work properly or not. Very dissapointed.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline bsusemihl

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 11:41:41 PM »
I think I found the problem with these sensors. The batteries may not be making contact with the terminals even though they seem secure and are inserted correctly. Look VERY closely at the POSITIVE wire termination - not the spring, but where the positive terminal of the battery should make contact. There is a thin wire in the shape of a letter "U" on ONE END of the compartment. The other end is a "hard" termination. Don't do anything with that - you are looking for the thin wire.  Take a small knife or screw driver and GENTLY bend this wire away from the casing making it spring slightly forward. This will ensure it makes contact with the battery. Mine had a gap of about .25mm. At first glance it looked like it was touching, but looking very closely I could see a VERY tiny gap. Make sure you have bright light to see the gap. This fixed mine right away. Don't forget to push the reset button on the sensor before doing a channel search on the main console after replacing the batteries in the sensor.

Good Luck

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
Nice find, good work. Some times, it's the little things that make fixing something difficult.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
I think I found the problem with these sensors. The batteries may not be making contact with the terminals even though they seem secure and are inserted correctly. Look VERY closely at the POSITIVE wire termination - not the spring, but where the positive terminal of the battery should make contact. There is a thin wire in the shape of a letter "U" on ONE END of the compartment. The other end is a "hard" termination. Don't do anything with that - you are looking for the thin wire.  Take a small knife or screw driver and GENTLY bend this wire away from the casing making it spring slightly forward. This will ensure it makes contact with the battery. Mine had a gap of about .25mm. At first glance it looked like it was touching, but looking very closely I could see a VERY tiny gap. Make sure you have bright light to see the gap. This fixed mine right away. Don't forget to push the reset button on the sensor before doing a channel search on the main console after replacing the batteries in the sensor.

Good Luck

Thanks for that, worth remembering for the future
Alan

Offline terence2428

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 06:38:29 AM »
Finally recieved a new outdoor temp sensor and when I set it up it didn't work. I fiddled with the contacts for the batteries and bingo, it worked. It has been working non stop now for about 2 weeks and no problems so far. Obviously the wire contacts are incorrectly manufactured so be aware of this issue people! The unit works great and looks great, when I have enough cash I will get it up and running online. Pitty the software supplied is so basic, its realy a waste of time. I have tried several time limited software suites but nothing sorted yet. There must be a shareware software package out there someware, if anyone has a link please post it here.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 06:40:40 AM by terence2428 »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
Finally recieved a new outdoor temp sensor and when I set it up it didn't work. I fiddled with the contacts for the batteries and bingo, it worked. It has been working non stop now for about 2 weeks and no problems so far. Obviously the wire contacts are incorrectly manufactured so be aware of this issue people! The unit works great and looks great, when I have enough cash I will get it up and running online. Pitty the software supplied is so basic, its realy a waste of time. I have tried several time limited software suites but nothing sorted yet. There must be a shareware software package out there someware, if anyone has a link please post it here.

Hi terence2428, glad you are now up and running. There is a free/donation software package, it's called Cumulus, but sadly it doesn't support the WMR-200 station.
You could download a 30 day trial version of both Weather Display, (WD) and Virtual Weather Station, (VWS). I would recommend you do that before making a final decision. They are both roughly the same price.

Alan.
Alan

Offline ArmySlowRdr

• Senior Contributor
    • South Central Killeen
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »
I got mine from Amazon several days ago and set it up this past weekend.

With the great info on this forum I knew what to expect...and sure as shoot..
the outdoor sensor would not work until I played with the U shaped clip, springing it out slightly.

The station is up and runnung fine the past 2 days..

..and since 2 AM the Ft Hood metro has been drenched with rain --allowing the rain guage to get a good workout.

I am using Weather Station Data Logger in lieu of downloading OS's free package. Wx data Logger is also free and seems fine.

Maybe later I'll explore procuring weather-display.

I'm at TXKILLE8 (Far South Central Killeen) on Wunderground.

Pete

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »

I'm at TXKILLE8 (Far South Central Killeen) on Wunderground.

Pete

I was at Ft. Hood in the 1st Cav Div in 1975/76.  That's a big place (>1,000,000 acres, if I remember correctly).  I wonder if the My Oh My Club is still in Killeen?   ;)

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Protea

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »

Good Luck

Just thought I'd register to say thanks very much for the above tip. My THGN801 was working fine for a year and then all of sudden the WMR200 couldn't see it anymore. Batteries were still good even after a year! I was at the point of ordering a new one and then saw this post which was all that was needed to get it working again. It seems likely that something as simple as the battery connection was all that was wrong with some of the units that others have had and sent back to the manufacturers.

Thanks again.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
heating/cooling expansion/contraction could easily result in the spring moving back from the battery like that
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com