Author Topic: StartWatch & WeatherLink issues  (Read 3233 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
StartWatch & WeatherLink issues
« on: February 19, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »
I've been running StartWatch for many years and until I switched from WinXP to Win7 Pro. Now, I have two problems that I have not been able to resolve and it is driving me nuts.
  • With WinXP, StartWatch automatically started on a reboot or cold start. However, with Win7, I have to manually start StartWatch every time I reboot.
  • StartWatch is configured to automatically place Weather Link into Bulletin mode. Worked  fine on WinXP but not Win7.

I tried a Task Scheduler job that automatically starts StartWatch on computer startup but it gives me a status message saying there was a manual intervention needed to complete the task. So, it never starts.

Is anyone else auto-starting StartWatch in a Win7 Pro environment and experiencing the same issues?

I am using StartWatch to control VVP, VPLive, VWS, Image Salsa and WeatherLink. Except for the WL Bulletin mode problem StartWatch works just fine once everything is up and running.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
Re: StartWatch & WeatherLink issues
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:29:56 AM »
I'm running StartWatch on Win 7 Pro but it is starting up on it's own.  I noticed that under StartWatch options it says that the "Run StartWatch when this user logs in" also states that "this setting is always user specific".    My weather computer is a Dell laptop and the system always starts up as the administrator user, but I log into it using remote desktop as another user.

How many users are setup on your weather computer?  If you have more than one user, try logging in as each user, checking the "Run StartWatch when this user logs in" option.

Also, run Regedit.exe and make sure the StartWatch shows up under this entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »
Hey Don...

Did you get your StartWatch issue figured out?
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:43:53 PM »
Nope. Regedit shows it in the Run folder but it simply doesn't start. Any other ideas?

This isn't critical but it sure is annoying to have to manually start something that should start on its own when I reboot the system.

And yes, there is only one user on the system.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 05:28:35 PM »
Nope. Regedit shows it in the Run folder but it simply doesn't start. Any other ideas?

This isn't critical but it sure is annoying to have to manually start something that should start on its own when I reboot the system.

And yes, there is only one user on the system.

Try this odd attempt, but it's worth a try.  Create a shortcut for Startwatch and them go into the shortcut properties and under compatibility, set "Run this program as administrator", Apply and close.  Making sure the program is currently closed, go to the StartWatch shortcut you just made and open it up, and the uncheck the "Start with windows" option, then re-check it.  Restart Windows and see what happens.   If it still doesn't work, then read on.

This is probably a stupid idea but it might work.  Take the shortcut you just made and put it into the Windows startup folder ( Start Button > All Programs > Startup ) and then restart and keep your fingers crossed.  If that doesn't work I'd say start drinking.
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »
Okay, what should I drink. A friend of mine just gave me a bottle of Bookers bourbon. Perhaps I should start there?

BTW, what you suggested did not work either...  ](*,)

All of this worked just fine under WinXP Pro. Win7 ultimate just seems to behave differently...

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »
Okay, what should I drink. A friend of mine just gave me a bottle of Bookers bourbon. Perhaps I should start there?

BTW, what you suggested did not work either...  ](*,)

All of this worked just fine under WinXP Pro. Win7 ultimate just seems to behave differently...

Bummer.  Sorry to hear it Don.  Yes, on the Bookers.
  • Virtual VP
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 03:06:10 AM »
If you did an upgrade to WIN7, did you try uninstalling Startwatch and doing a fresh install?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »
If you did an upgrade to WIN7, did you try uninstalling Startwatch and doing a fresh install?

This was a clean new install of Win7 Ultimate that I made after I lost my hard drive a while back. I've tried everything I can think of without success. It's a real pain that forces me to watch closely whenever I install a new MS update. Of course, then I have to manually put WL in bulletin mode too.

I'm thinking about experimenting with a system scheduler job that will automatically restart on reboot - I think I can do that. That may get the Startwatch part running and then I only have to worry abou the WeatherLink getting into bulletin mode.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 07:36:32 PM »
What an inconvenience that sounds like.

On mine, I did a fresh, full install of WIN7 Pro 64 bit on new box. StartWatch is in the x86 directory and starts every time logged on as 'User w/ admin rights'. I seem to remember having a hang with one piece of Wx related utility or another not auto-starting but can't say if it was StartWatch. I know that with using a free serial emulator I found, I have to run WIN7 in 'Test Mode' for it to run without balking.

I looked at all the settings for SW and don't see anything related to compatibility or permissions that stand out to me. As far as the Bulletin mode, mine doesn't always start with it but didn't on XP Pro either. I kill that and run in Summary anyway.

You said the entry was in the registry run folder. Did you check Admin tools>Sys Config>StartUp and make sure it shows and active?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

anything