Author Topic: Another SoftWx Tool (VPLive) Becomes Obsolete  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
Another SoftWx Tool (VPLive) Becomes Obsolete
« on: April 21, 2013, 06:28:05 PM »
The information below was posted on the CWOP list server.  It indicates the failed CWOP data transmissions VPLive users have been seeing for a couple weeks are due to VPLive generating a message that is incompatible with the new CWOP V4 server software.  So within just a few weeks both of the primary SoftWx utilities have become obsolete with little hope of a fix since the author has disappeared (at least from this forum).  At least StartWatch still works...

====From CWOP List Server  ===

VPLive has a known problem working with v4 servers.
The majority of your problem began the night CWOP-2 was upgraded to v4.
The other day I did capture your station failing to deliver data through
CWOP-4, which is also v4 server, because of the VPLive problem.

>       1366394849869   DW7312 tcp 0.0.0.0 14580 r xxx.xxx.179.174 2194
DW7312>APRS,TCPXX*:@191807z3454.87N/08415.28W_336/005g009t051L053r000P064p064h96b10128VL1232

The infrequency of your data suggests that CWOP-2/CWOP-4 is being
favored 99.5% of the time, even with VPLive up against v4 servers you
should be succeeding around 60% of the time. I don't know why that is
but more than likely it has to do with the servers entered and thier order.

You'll need to pursue a fix with the VPLive vendor and correct the
server entries as previously mentioned.
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
Re: Another SoftWx Tool (VPLive) Becomes Obsolete
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:00:13 PM »
I suggest the author of it try selling rights to it on Ebay or some more appropriate outlet.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline CW7221

• Hokendauqua Weather
Re: Another SoftWx Tool (VPLive) Becomes Obsolete
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »
(I know it's an old topic, but I stumbled upon it when trying to figure out why my VPLive suddenly stopped sending APRS updates--figured anyone else looking will run across this . . .)

For anyone who is still running VPLive to upload their CWOP/APRS data, it looks like SoftWx.com is now officially offline...  If you, like me, had yours set to automatically update the APRS server list, with SoftWx.com going offline on 11/SEP/2014, you'll find yourself suddenly seeing "APRS send failed: could not connect to any APRS servers" in your error log...

Turns out that VPLive just takes the response it receives and dumps it into the ServersCWOP.txt file... so it, instead of handling the 503 error gracefully, it dumps the HTML of the error directly into the text file.  Simple workaround is to uncheck the automatic server list download and use the attached ServersCWOP.txt file.

I guess I should consider replacing the weather PC so I can upgrade my version of VWS (I mean, it just a 12 year old 733MHz Pentium III Gateway desktop running Windows 2000 Pro 24/7 for nearly the last 8 years straight [not counting when the power goes out...]  #-o ).