Author Topic: Looking for new, dependable weather station  (Read 1128 times)

Offline CoopH

Looking for new, dependable weather station
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:50:30 AM »
Gentlemen,

Have owned Davis Pros's and two Davis  Vue's___tried the Acurite Atlas.

Spoken with several salesmen, some polite and Not so polite____for me ' only a hobby'____dependable, accurate weather station.

Like the Davis Vantage Pro Console, soft light, no flashing/color screens.

Help will be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance! 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Looking for new, dependable weather station
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
If you've owned a Davis Pro are you referring to Vantage Pro 2?... or prior? Those are worth keeping and replacing what's broken and make it new.  Do you still have it?

I'm happy (for now) with my Ambient Weather WS-2000 but if I had a VP2 I wouldn't throw it out.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
Temperature and Humidity sensor in Davis are known to go bad on average every 18 months or so. Some people fair better some worse.

Here is what you need to fix your VP2.
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/parts/vantage-pro2-parts/temperature-and-humidity-sensor-parts/davis-7346-070-pro2-digital-temperature-humidity-sensor-sensiron-sht31/

Same thing happens to the Vue.... But there the replacement is like buying a whole new outdoor unit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 09:24:49 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jhw80504

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 03:04:33 PM »
I'm looking for a new weather station also. Have a 6-year-old Davis VP2 with nonfunctioning rain gauge. I am very much a novice, in fact, I wouldn't have a weather station except for my wife who is really into knowing the highest wind gust, rainfall, etc.

What I do not like about the VP2 is the software, console, rain gauge reed having to be replaced, etc.
What I do like about the VP2 is that it is solar powered wireless to my console. I am not wanting to go up to the roof any more than absolutely necessary. So, I could live with something that has battery backup to solar for the sensor station if battery life is >1 year.

Would also like to keep it under $300.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 04:22:39 PM »
I'm looking for a new weather station also. Have a 6-year-old Davis VP2 with nonfunctioning rain gauge. I am very much a novice, in fact, I wouldn't have a weather station except for my wife who is really into knowing the highest wind gust, rainfall, etc.

What I do not like about the VP2 is the software, console, rain gauge reed having to be replaced, etc.
What I do like about the VP2 is that it is solar powered wireless to my console. I am not wanting to go up to the roof any more than absolutely necessary. So, I could live with something that has battery backup to solar for the sensor station if battery life is >1 year.

Would also like to keep it under $300.

Any advice is appreciated.

If you have a VP2 then that is the best thing to keep going. You just replace what is broken. They just came out with a new rain gauge design (single tipping spoon and seems to have good results). As for the console well that is a sore point for many. An alternative is to not use a console and instead use a cheap tablet and software, not great but not much we can do. Hopefully new console solutions will be had at some point. If you don't like the Davis software I assume you mean WeatherLink software. You can use alternative software like; Meteobridge, Weather-Display, WeeWx, and Cumulus. Software options are plenty. As for not wanting to go on the roof I can't blame you there....even if it doesn't break a well working station needs maintenance regardless (clean things out). If you can move the ISS to the ground then that might help. You can leave the anemometer on the roof by itself with an additional transmitter. Those are my ideas....I'm sure others have more to say.
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 05:16:55 PM »
Good, fast (accurate) and cheap:  pick two.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!