Author Topic: Wind Speed  (Read 2413 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Wind Speed
« on: October 31, 2014, 09:56:01 AM »
I think it would be a nice extra feature to add on to meteobridge so that you could change wind speed from MPH to KM/h with Acurite. Aculink has this, and it does help make up for low wind speed from obstructions and the tendency for the unit to display lower than normal MPH reports.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Wind Speed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »
I think it would be a nice extra feature to add on to meteobridge so that you could change wind speed from MPH to KM/h with Acurite. Aculink has this, and it does help make up for low wind speed from obstructions and the tendency for the unit to display lower than normal MPH reports.

The 5n1 natively reports in metric units.  Conversion to other units is up to software.

Changing unit of measurement has no impact on actual wind speed or obstructions.   

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »
The acurite 5 in 1 suffers from low wind speed readings in MPH mode. Putting it in KMH is more realistic to MPH at speeds above 5 MPH. The unit does well below 5 MPH at being a good reference, but it does not do well at high speed wind conditions.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »
I don't get something here. So you look at the KMH and pretend its actually MPH because the MPH is lower than expected :? If thats the case have you considered relocating the anemometer. I had to put mine on a 30' pole for decent wind readings.
Randy

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 02:47:37 PM »
I don't get something here. So you look at the KMH and pretend its actually MPH because the MPH is lower than expected :? If thats the case have you considered relocating the anemometer. I had to put mine on a 30' pole for decent wind readings.

I have moved the anemometer around, and it is actually in the best location I have right now. It's located 20 ft above grass, and away from trees as much as possible. My location is not ideal to begin with for wind readings by any means. This is an all in one unit, so I have all the other components to consider and also batteries that have to be changed. If I put the console or software into KMH mode, the wind speed does represent other stations around me quite nicely in higher winds. If I leave it on MPH, I run about 7 MPH too low on average. When I look at the anemometer, it is spinning really fast, but about the highest I normally see is 12 MPH  in MPH mode when I should see almost 20. Acurite states in their literature that their specs are not perfect by any means to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:49:24 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
You might benefit from 3rd party software here. There is a built in multiplier for adjusting the anemometer height in Cumulus, weather-display may have this option also. Both 3rd party softwares would require a PC running also.
Not sure if they are both compatible with acurite 5 in 1.
Randy

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
allright... here tis... NWS wants you somewhere 200-300 feet away from trees, etc,.  and 33' above ground.  How's that possible for most of us?   it isn't.  Now one thing we can do,... we can get 11+ft above roofs, if we try,... something called the "Urban boundary layer"..  roofs, dwellings actually impose their own 'spurious' wind effects on our 'vanes'... so... we want to get out of the 'urban boundary layer'... here's how to find it,.... 
you go get a helium filled balloon... you put some kite string on it.  you let if rise. ... at some point it will become more or less stable... you do this with winds out of your dominate direction.  The 'stability' point is probably about 11-20' above your 'general' 'urban boundary layer',.,.,..   place your station at or higher than, that 'distance' above obstacles.,.,.

Now, over the next couple of weeks, see how CWOP's wind rose defines your 'dominant'... if you're within ± 15-20° don't worry too much about it,... call it 'good'...  you could adjust your 'link to console/ISS" settings over a period of time to 'match' nearby stations, but this will take a bit of patience, and perseverance. 

Keep in mind... these are 'parameters' at your location, and your stations' location... don't assume that your readings will be the same as someone's 10 miles away... if you do that, you'll forever be 'questioning accuracy'... do the best you can, at your site... and apply 'software' modifications and calibration as you feel are appropriate...

Oh, yea, there's more that can be said, but let's get inside the 'ballpark' first before we worry about 'foul lines'....

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 05:15:00 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
The acurite 5 in 1 suffers from low wind speed readings in MPH mode. Putting it in KMH is more realistic to MPH at speeds above 5 MPH. The unit does well below 5 MPH at being a good reference, but it does not do well at high speed wind conditions.

Basic math disagrees with you.

Apparently you just want a number that "looks" like what you "think" it should be.  Math and science be damned.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 06:34:44 PM by nincehelser »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »

Basic math disagrees with you.

Apparently you just want a number that "looks" like what you "think" it should be.  Math and science be damned.

What MATH?

I am going by digital mathematical graphs. When the wind is high, my station is too low. What are YOU going by? Besides a briar d britch.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:14:10 PM »

What MATH?

I am going by digital mathematical graphs. When the wind is high, my station is too low. What are YOU going by? Besides a briar d britch.

Perhaps your wind readings are too low for some reason.  However, switching to metric units will do nothing to fix your readings.

Telling people that switching to metric will improve their wind readings is just another of your idiotic claims.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 02:23:29 AM »
Sounds to me that your accurite isn't accurate so get a Vue or something that pleases you.. get some software that adapts the ISS to suit what you think should be correct. Set it.. Then quit hassling others on this board with your 'new found' perfection.......
Either that or shut up.  Many of us have spent months and many dollars setting our equipment up for our location. You'll make no friends here telling us how ignorant we are.
Stuff it...

Wow! Just lost another potential friend, and don't care...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:30:35 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 03:51:25 AM »
Coming back to the original request that goes into the direction to add some calibration function regarding wind speed to Meteobridge. I am not sure what kind of calibration would be useful. Having a factor to multiply the wind readings with will linear affect high and low wind speeds. Applying a non-linear function will make things complicated, as long as there isn't a standard formula widely accepted as a "bad placement" correction. I guess this correction will apply the same way to gust and average wind speed. Hm, not sure if these math tricks will really bring valuable results, or if we simply should stick to the data the station is delivering and stating that station is not very accurate and/or position is not optimal for wind speed measurement. Then everybody can judge for himself. As said, not sure which way to go here... 
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:58:36 AM »
Coming back to the original request that goes into the direction to add some calibration function regarding wind speed to Meteobridge. I am not sure what kind of calibration would be useful. Having a factor to multiply the wind readings with will linear affect high and low wind speeds. Applying a non-linear function will make things complicated, as long as there isn't a standard formula widely accepted as a "bad placement" correction. I guess this correction will apply the same way to gust and average wind speed. Hm, not sure if these math tricks will really bring valuable results, or if we simply should stick to the data the station is delivering and stating that station is not very accurate and/or position is not optimal for wind speed measurement. Then everybody can judge for himself. As said, not sure which way to go here...

Thanks for answering. The wind speed trick is not useful in my experience with winds at or below 5 MPH. As you point out, it is next to impossible to say how much of a correction to add without several real world experiences at different heights and such. I figured the easiest way, but not necessarily spot on accuracy was to do what the manufacturer included, and that is knots and KMH selectivity.

All the criticism and blows will not stop simple questions or shut me down. Someone has to ask. Even Doc says he doesn't have all the answers.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »

Thanks for answering. The wind speed trick is not useful in my experience with winds at or below 5 MPH. As you point out, it is next to impossible to say how much of a correction to add without several real world experiences at different heights and such. I figured the easiest way, but not necessarily spot on accuracy was to do what the manufacturer included, and that is knots and KMH selectivity.

All the criticism and blows will not stop simple questions or shut me down. Someone has to ask. Even Doc says he doesn't have all the answers.

We don't want to shut you down.  At the same time, DON"T tell us how 'ignorant' we are when we offer help or respond... We've said KM vs MPH doesn't solve your issue. We've told you about "urban boundary layer'  and suggestions on how to determine. We've said, basically... "what you see at your location is what is real at your location"... within the limits of whatever technology your choose to employ... now what?  Ask your questions.. seek the knowledge and experience... but in the final analysis the call is yours... just don't imply that some of the respected folks on this board are 'ignorant'... stupid, or whatever.  Do what you will... as we will.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:33:53 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »

We don't want to shut you down.  At the same time, DON"T tell us how 'ignorant' we are when we offer help or respond... We've said KM vs MPH doesn't solve your issue. We've told you about "urban boundary layer'  and suggestions on how to determine. We've said, basically... "what you see at your location is what is real at your location"... within the limits of whatever technology your choose to employ... now what?  Ask your questions.. seek the knowledge and experience... but in the final analysis the call is yours... just don't imply that some of the respected folks on this board are 'ignorant'... stupid, or whatever.  Do what you will... as we will.

I did not do that. I have been called out by Nince ever since I got here for asking questions and sharing results. I was told I was not truthful with my experiences with my weather station because he had never had the same problems. He even told me what to do, and then after it worked refused to accept it.  :?: Everyone else who had the same problems was on my team against real math and science or whatever according to him.

You guys can keep beating the dead horse. I am done running around the forum with the same song and dance. I would like to see people get help with their particular issues without saying I am against science with my modifications.