Author Topic: Pro 2 Plus Console Power Supply  (Read 412 times)

Offline avionics12

• 19 on Two
Pro 2 Plus Console Power Supply
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »
New to the forum; lots of very helpful information here!  I am about to purchase a Vantage Pro 2 Plus and install a Nano SD.  Considering WiFi capabilities of the Nano I think it may be a good idea to upgrade the Console power supply just a bit.  I have seen info regarding this somewhere before however a forum search has not been fruitful.  Is there a recommended "upgrade" for the Console power supply that currently outputs 5VDC, 300mA, regulated?  How much of an increase may be required to prevent Nano reboots due to low power at the console?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: Pro 2 Plus Console Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
In VP2 console there is switch AC/battery. This is transistor which is 0.4A max. As you can see, not only AC adapter is a problem.
If you think that NANO will take more than 300mA, the you should remove batteries and plug DC UPS.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
Davis offers a USB type power cable (#Davis 6627). You can then get a high power USB supply. (e.g. 2.4A)

I am running mine off a Tripp-Lite power station that delivers 2.1A per channel. (single power warts are available with this current)

Not sure about this transistor limitation. Schematically, is the dongle socket power run through this transistor? (what is the type number?)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline avionics12

• 19 on Two
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I found the message thread where I read about powering the Nano.  I have posted the link below for your reading pleasure.

https://forum.meteohub.de/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=13795

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 05:12:42 PM »
New to the forum; lots of very helpful information here!  I am about to purchase a Vantage Pro 2 Plus and install a Nano SD.  Considering WiFi capabilities of the Nano I think it may be a good idea to upgrade the Console power supply just a bit.  I have seen info regarding this somewhere before however a forum search has not been fruitful.  Is there a recommended "upgrade" for the Console power supply that currently outputs 5VDC, 300mA, regulated?  How much of an increase may be required to prevent Nano reboots due to low power at the console?

Thats only for the Nano SD Red. The Nano SD black does not need an upgrade.
Also note that is only if you use the extra power for extended wireless. If you dont intend to use that you will be fine with a regular PSU.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 05:15:14 PM by txweather.org »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline avionics12

• 19 on Two
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 06:27:24 PM »
Thanks for the additional info.  I'll be using the red because I want the extended wireless functionality.