Author Topic: Davis Weatherlink or Weatherbridge?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline NHWF5510

Davis Weatherlink or Weatherbridge?
« on: March 08, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »
Hello! First post here and was hoping some of the current Davis VP2 users could shed some light on the hardware required to get the data from my VP2 on to websites like WU and similar sites. I do not want to keep my station connected to a PC. I want something that goes straight to the internet via my router. I also have no plans to build a personal website. I do plan on adding a weather camera in the near future but from what i am reading it seems as though that would connect to the internet separate from any weather station.

Davis makes a product that seems to be perfect for my needs. It's the Weatherlink IP 6555. They claim that you simply connect it to my VP2 console and then using a CAT 5 cable connect it to my router and i'm done. It's less than $200 as well which is nice. Is it really that simple? Nothing else i would need?

The other system i see that seems to be popular is the Ambient Weather Weatherbridge. But they say you would still need a Davis USB Datalogger to connect it to the VP2 console. That means a $300+ system. Is their a reason why this would be a preferred system despite the much higher price?

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
Re: Davis Weatherlink or Weatherbridge?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:59:27 PM »

Howdy NHWF5510
I,m using the 6555 IP and share my data with WU and cwop.
Billy

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:04:01 PM »

The other system i see that seems to be popular is the Ambient Weather Weatherbridge. But they say you would still need a Davis USB Datalogger to connect it to the VP2 console. That means a $300+ system. Is their a reason why this would be a preferred system despite the much higher price?

It gives much more flexibility in sending data to multiple weather sites.  Without it, all data has to go through weatherlink.com. 

But instead of paying Ambient,  you can build a Meteobridge for less than  $100 US dollars. Look at Home for information about Meteobridge. There are several ways to use the Meteobridge software -1.  buy the hardware & software together,  2. buy hardware,  flash it & load software,  3. use a Raspberry pi, 4. use Meteobridge Pro.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »
Davis makes a product that seems to be perfect for my needs. It's the Weatherlink IP 6555. They claim that you simply connect it to my VP2 console and then using a CAT 5 cable connect it to my router and i'm done. It's less than $200 as well which is nice. Is it really that simple? Nothing else i would need?

Yes, it's really plug-and-play.

There are lots of other solutions (some mentioned already) that are more complex and less expensive.  In general, the less expensive, the more complex to get set up.

Good-Fast-Cheap -- you get to pick only two of those. 

Offline jrswiss

• Free PHP Scripts for your PWS
    • Free PHP scripts for Wunderground PWS & Davis Weather Stations
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
Some years ago we was in the same situation.
Back them we decided for a Davis Vantage Vue (the entry model) with a Weatherlink IP Datalogger for the same reason. A ready build up system to report weather data to weatherlink without a pc. I have to say: This and later more of this weather stations from Davis are installed near or at the alps of Switzerland.
The system(s) works daily without any problems - now for 5 years. A simple yearly maintenance and a battery change - thats all we do.

I would say, the Weather Console needs a redesign for locations 'at home'.  :-)

Because Davis Weatherlink will report (every 15 minutes) the weather data to wunderground (if you like), we have a second place where the data are available.
To check the weather, we do not use the Davis Website which is part of the Weatherlink IP Datalogger (bundle). We wrote a small PHP script to get alerts via e-mail on severe (or other interested) weather conditions, because nobody of us want to look always at the weather. View one of our weather stations here (website designed for Smartphones): http://www.gustalert.com/app/gdavis/index.php

However, I am sure you will find good and 'less expensive' weather stations too.
Just my 5 cents.

Best regards
Roman
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 02:49:28 AM by jrswiss »
JRSWISS

Offline Zeta30

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »
I just got mine up and running a few weeks ago and this is the route I took.

1. Instead of the Weatherlink module I bought an after market versionn, I went with a BelfryBoy, http://belfryboyweatherbits.blogspot.com/p/the-belfryboy-clone-usb-logger.html. It is my belief that the BelfryBoy is actually superior than the WeatherLink because it uses a USB 2 interface. The WeatherLink still uses USB 1 so you need to also purchase a USB 1 - USB 2 hub if you went the WeatherLink route. The Belfryboy is ~ $70, so it is a fraction of the price of the OEM.

2. The downside of the Belfrboy is that it does not come with any software, but don't fret. I used Cumulus, http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus  to set it up. Cumulus if free, (although they do accept donations).

3. I made my own Meteobridge from a TPlink N150 router,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00634PLTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. This is identicle to the one that Weatherbridge uses, but it is under $30. You can flash it with the Weatherbridge firmware and you have a 18 day trial of the software. After the trial to buy the software it is $70, (but still far less than the plug and play version.

4. The Weatherbridge connects to my AP so my PC does not have to be turned on to send data to the WWW.

So far I'm happy with the set up. Although it wasn't too terribly difficult to set up, none of this is simple plug and play either, so if you don't like going through set ups and a bit of tinkering then using the OEM hardware/software may be best. The good thing was that there are plenty of sites and message boards that helped me get it all going.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »
Cumulus is NOT free - it is donationware.  So if you use it, you should donate a few bucks.

As for WLIP or a BB logger, you can do WLIP and other software like Cumulus or WD by plugging it into a (Weather)Meteobridge as using Port 22222 pass-thru.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Zeta30

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
Cumulus is NOT free - it is donationware.  So if you use it, you should donate a few bucks.

As for WLIP or a BB logger, you can do WLIP and other software like Cumulus or WD by plugging it into a (Weather)Meteobridge as using Port 22222 pass-thru.

It is Free software. Cumulus even states it is free in the very first sentence on their "About Cumulus" page.

http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/About_Cumulus

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
And yet from the home page...

"Cumulus is donationware. If you like the software and find it useful, please consider making a contribution towards the continuing development of Cumulus. I rely on your donations to allow me to buy the software that I need to continue improving Cumulus. Donations received go towards software development, either towards the cost of new development tools and components, or the cost of hosting this site. Please note that I have a full-time job and Cumulus is what I do in my spare time."

www.sandaysoft.com home page

So I dunno?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2017, 04:19:34 AM »
So I dunno?

Surely a non-debate? Cumulus is unambiguously donationware, which generally means that it can be downloaded and used indefinitely for free (if your conscience allows) but that the author would welcome a donation as recognition of the hard work they've put in in writing and maintaining the software.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Zeta30

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 08:53:38 AM »
So I dunno?

Surely a non-debate? Cumulus is unambiguously donationware, which generally means that it can be downloaded and used indefinitely for free (if your conscience allows) but that the author would welcome a donation as recognition of the hard work they've put in in writing and maintaining the software.

I agree it is a non-debate and it is free. You are arguing with the wrong person. I have shown you that by the creators own definition it is free. If you don't agree I suggest you send the creators an email and tell them that the software that they created is not what they state it is.

I won't post any more about this because it is hijacking OP's original post and not contributing towards the answer to his/her questions. If you wish to debate the issue I suggest opening up your own post and debating it there.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
I agree it is a non-debate and it is free. You are arguing with the wrong person.

If you care to look back at my post above, you'll see that you weren't quoted there.

But lest there be any misunderstanding, let's look at the wording on the home page of the Cumulus website (sandaysoft.org)

Sandaysoft is the home of Cumulus, free software for your personal weather station. ...Cumulus is donationware. If you like the software and find it useful, please consider making a contribution towards the continuing development of Cumulus. I rely on your donations to allow me to buy the software that I need to continue improving Cumulus.

So yes it's free in the limited sense that you can download and use it without hindrance. But it's also totally clear that the author would appreciate a donation to help support development costs. Whether you do so or not is obviously between you and your conscience.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Billyram

• The Rapids
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »
I want to add that if you want to make your WL IP wireless all you need is a inexpensive wifi extender configured as a access point and plug into it. I did this so I wouldn't have to run a cable into the next room to my router.
Billy

Offline Zeta30

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
Hello! First post here and was hoping some of the current Davis VP2 users could shed some light on the hardware required to get the data from my VP2 on to websites like WU and similar sites. I do not want to keep my station connected to a PC. I want something that goes straight to the internet via my router. I also have no plans to build a personal website. I do plan on adding a weather camera in the near future but from what i am reading it seems as though that would connect to the internet separate from any weather station.

Regardless of which way you go you will need some sort of data logger either the WeatherLink or an after market one like I mentioned in my other post. The WeatherLink is what connects the Davis console to your network or PC. The one that you mentioned connects to your router or a switch VIA either net cable so you cannot move your console farther than your cable can reach the router. Going the Bridge route is more expensive but it worked out much better for me because my console is in a different room than my Router and I have not yet ran Cat 6 cable to my kitchen.

Offline NHWF5510

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:00 AM »
Thank you all for the detailed information. Seeing as my router is located in the living room (which is right behind the wall of my office) running a CAT 5 cable through the wall to go from the Weatherlink to the Router will not be a problem. I also prefer having it hard wired as it completely eliminates any connectivity issues that can arise any time you go wireless.

So it sounds like the Weatherlink would be the least expensive option of the two and the easiest to setup. Thank you again.

anything