Author Topic: How does it work?  (Read 10523 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Re: How does it work?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
wow...vvp is "reading" archive data!  This has to be a positive step.

ok, I will try to configure WL and VWS using either serial or TCP.  I am assuming that VWP is now happy with it's green squares.
Thank you for realizing the basic thing I was missing.  I am not a software guy, obviously.

YES   It should work in either serial or tcp mode now.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 04:26:52 PM »
I got WL up.  Now, I hope I can get VWS to operate at the same time!  It's the one that reports to the Internet.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 04:45:23 PM »
I need some Jack Daniels

Me too.  Thanks....but none of it is working,  all my VVP squares went back to red.
I can't get any of the software to work.  I appreciate your help.  Perhaps I was getting close.
Don't know what went wrong.  When I got WL to download from my station, VVP was disconnected.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »
show me you vvp setup page and your conm o com setup page.

Any time you make a change to vvp settings you must disconnect and reconnect.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »
show me you vvp setup page and your conm o com setup page.

Any time you make a change to vvp settings you must disconnect and reconnect.

Sir, I can't tell you what a gentleman you are for trying to help me.  I must have been close; VVP was happy!
Right now, I am down to my station console.  I am too frustrated to work with it anymore today.
I am considering uninstalling everything and tomorrow trying to get back to what I started with.
I will sleep on it.  I completely understand that I had been leaving out crucial steps.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 06:05:27 PM »
No problem and you gotta be close if vvp connected and downloaded data that means things are working.

I suspect that you just tried to use com ports at the same time and it crashed.       

I will be around tommorrow so ask away.         I just need to be sure that you have the com o com ports correct and see the vvp setup    I think it will be easy after that.

Most people have most trouble with the com o com set up.     

I really do not understand why Davis does not just have everyone setup in the serial mode.  It would solve a lot of their and user problems.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »
No problem and you gotta be close if vvp connected and downloaded data that means things are working.

I suspect that you just tried to use com ports at the same time and it crashed.       

I will be around tommorrow so ask away.         I just need to be sure that you have the com o com ports correct and see the vvp setup    I think it will be easy after that.

Most people have most trouble with the com o com set up.     

I really do not understand why Davis does not just have everyone setup in the serial mode.  It would solve a lot of their and user problems.

I set up the com o com ports the way the directions specified.  Some of the directions appeared to be from years ago, adding to my sense of unease.  I put in com ports 6/16, 7/17, 8/18, 9/19.  They looked like the directions.
But yes, I managed to crash it all.  I have a Vantage Vue.  I read repeatedly on the wx forums that it would work.  When I got VVP working, all green, I didn't know how to start up WL and VWS.  I started with WL.  It started telling me that I had a Vue here and a Pro there.  I tried to satisfy it's confusion, and quickly lost everything.
But ok, tomorrow, I will try again.  I don't know which software to start with now.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:00 AM »
Well, I will try this again today.

Right now, VPP is not communicating, all squares are red.

Let's see, WL is set to virtual serial.
ComOCom ports are configured as shown in the screen shot.
What is it currently wanting?  I don't know which com port to put in, but have tried many of them.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Here is the communication page.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 11:20:08 AM »
Got VVP to work again, all green squares!  It liked "com3".  I hadn't tried that one today.
Now I will reread about how to get it connected to WL and VWS.  That's where I went wrong yesterday.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 11:29:25 AM »
Ok, now, when trying to configure WL, it says, "the station is configured as a Vantage Vue, but the console is detected as a Vantage Pro model.  Please reconfigure the station".  This is using Com6.
This happened yesterday and I didn't know what to do. 
I read on the wx forum that the data logger doesn't care whether it's attached to a Vue or a Pro.
Should I "configure" the station as a Vantage Pro or what?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »
Set it to vantage pro.   Com o com looks good        VVp looks ok once you set it to com 3.        

You have to remember that no two programs can use the same com port at the same time.

what you are doing with vvp is taking com3  and splitting it so it feeds the same data to com 6,7, and 8.

WL should be set to com 6    vws to com 7

I am not a vws user but just for the heck I downloaded the trial   I have it up and running no problem.

Yours should work if you just set the com port correctly.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
Set it to vantage pro.   Com o com looks good        VVp looks ok once you set it to com 3.       

You have to remember that no two programs can use the same com port at the same time.

what you are doing with vvp is taking com3  and splitting it so it feeds the same data to com 6,7, and 8.

WL should be set to com 6    vws to com 7

Ok.  thank you.  That sounds straight-foward.  I will configure WL by telling it I have a Vantage Pro, which is what it needs to hear I guess.  VVP had crashed again as I was messing with WL, but rebooting computer brings it back.  I will attempt to do as you suggest, but ha, be ready for more errors ON MY PART.  Obviously, being unfamiliar with some basic software things hangs me up.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
WL seemed happy to be connected to a Vantage Pro.

It downloaded my station data.  Then, when I went back to VVP, all the squares were red again.  Why does this happen?
I will reboot my computer again?
Then I guess I will try to configure VWS.  Com 7.  After that, I will need to reboot again?
Hopefully, when I am finished, WL and VWS can run at the same time.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
Don't understand why you are having to reboot.  What happens if you just click the connect button?

What does the activity log show?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
Don't understand why you are having to reboot.  What happens if you just click the connect button?

What does the activity log show?

Well, I am getting closer!  VVP shows it is communicating with VWS!  VWS says it is connected to my "Vantage Pro" via COM7.
It says it has "never" communicated with WL but the box is green.
Should I now open WL with VWS running and "open the station" or whatever it needs to do?

I don't know why I had to reboot.  The first time I tried to connect VWS, it was "establishing communication" with the "Vantage Pro" and encountered a problem.  I then saw that VVP had crashed.  I rebooted and got to where I am now.  I was very pleased to see that VWS was displaying real time station data and had begun to download to WU, etc., like it used to do.
I think I surely am getting very close to having this work, thanks to your help, Mr. BDog.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 12:25:50 PM »
The connection status times reset everytime you connect and dissconnect.

If you have wl set to com 6  it should download the data and start working.

I don't understand   "open station"?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 12:32:36 PM »

My lack of familiarity with WL is showing.  I could never use WL because I was running VWS and couldn't run both at the same time.  Right now it seems that when I go back to look at the VVP screen, all the squares are back to red.  I push "connect" but nothing happens.  If I reboot the whole computer, it's working agin.  I still haven't tried to reopen WL yet.
Why does the VVP go back to not communicating?  I should be able  leave VVP and WL and VWS station running all the time, right?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
yes  you start vvp   let it download data leave it running and then load vws and wl.  They all should run at the same time.  I can't duplicate your proplem.

When it stops connecting what does VVP activty log say.   It is right at the left bottom of the VVP screen.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
yes  you start vvp   let it download data leave it running and then load vws and wl.  They all should run at the same time.  I can't duplicate your proplem.

When it stops connecting what does VVP activty log say.   It is right at the left bottom of the VVP screen.

Right now it is ALL working.  Both WL and VWS are running at the same time.  The next time I have it crash or something, I will reboot again and see what the activity screen says.  I am very pleased that the data is flowing again, and I am getting the use of the VVP software that I wanted.
I will just sit back here and watch it go for awhile without messing with anything.  It seemed that if I minimized the screen and then came back to it, that it had crashed.  I have zero feel for it yet.  But it is working as advertised.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

My lack of familiarity with WL is showing.  I could never use WL because I was running VWS and couldn't run both at the same time.  Right now it seems that when I go back to look at the VVP screen, all the squares are back to red.  I push "connect" but nothing happens.  If I reboot the whole computer, it's working agin.  I still haven't tried to reopen WL yet.
Why does the VVP go back to not communicating?  I should be able  leave VVP and WL and VWS station running all the time, right?

Is your station using a USB datalogger ? If so have you disabled power management on your USB port ? Your computer could be shutting off the power to the USB port. Go into the Control Panel - System - Device Manager....locate the USB ports at the bottom of the list. Right Click on Generic USB Hub - Go to Properties - Power Management tab - uncheck the box that allows the computer to power down the port to save power. Restart the computer and see if that helps.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »

Is your station using a USB datalogger ? If so have you disabled power management on your USB port ? Your computer could be shutting off the power to the USB port. Go into the Control Panel - System - Device Manager....locate the USB ports at the bottom of the list. Right Click on Generic USB Hub - Go to Properties - Power Management tab - uncheck the box that allows the computer to power down the port to save power. Restart the computer and see if that helps.

Thank you, I did exactly that last week as VWS seemed to "become unresponsive" at times.  I am still not sure what caused that.
That's one reason I wanted to download to more than one place, as VWS seems quirky.
I am VERY pleased to note that now WL is updating my Davis weather page on the internet.  This was never possible because the station could only download to VWS.  This is the setup I wanted, and it's great to have people on this forum to ask help from who are obviously much better informed about these tools.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
OK let it run.   The only way I can come close to duplicating the problem is if I close VVP.

Are you sure you are not closing it when trying to minimise it?

Now that maybe it is working.    Why do you want to run wl and VWS  at the same time?

I only use to make changes to the console setup and to store data. I run it about once a week.

My set up right now.

console to netbook    netbook running VVP   to   WUHU   sending to WU,AWEKAS,PWS
                                                                       VP LIVE  sending to CWOP
                                                                        Cumulus for testing
                                                                        WL for console changes data logging
                                                                         DLINK ROuter to network

DLINK   feeds to   desktop currently running   VWS
                                                                   Cumulus for testing and gee whiz
                                                                    WL as needed

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 01:05:08 PM »
Ahh OK sending to Davis net. Never consdered that.

If WL continues to crash VVP     My next suggestion would be to set WL link to IP mode   127.0.0.1   5511

If it crashes again be sure to read the activity log before rebooting or it will erase the log.

Also I don't think it is a good idea to have two programs making changes to the console so I would in VVP set VWS to the protect console mode.  This will make WL the only program that could make changes to the console.

anything