Author Topic: AcuRite Connect replaces PC Connect  (Read 12668 times)

Offline crecre9

AcuRite Connect replaces PC Connect
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
I haven't seen any mention of AcuRite Connect, which replaces PC Connect software. I accidentally ran across it in a google search. It is like an updated version of PC Connect and allows for direct uploads of weather data to Weather Underground at their Rapid Fire speed.

http://www.acurite.com/acurite-connect-weather-stations

I am surprised I haven't seen mention of this software on this sub forum or elsewhere on the internet, but I highly recommend checking it out, for those who aren't already using some other software.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
Re: AcuRite Connect replaces PC Connect
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 04:09:28 PM »
This is for the USB console connection. Be nice if they had a network version for the AcuLink Bridge. Nice to see a little progress though.
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 01:07:51 AM »
I am surprised I haven't seen mention of this software on this sub forum or elsewhere on the internet, but I highly recommend checking it out, for those who aren't already using some other software.

I don't use the USB software very often (I'm more of a bridge guy).  However, I played around with the new "AcuRite Connect" a little this evening.

To me it looks like Acurite is working to get away from being dependent on VIS Reader and probably setting the stage for other new features.  Unfortunately, it's lacking some of the functionality of the old PC Connect and has at least one bug regarding barometric pressure adjustment for wunderground.

As this seems to be a "first-release", I expect they'll have updates out soon.

Note that this is only for Acurite USB-Consoles... it doesn't work with the Acurite Bridge.

Will there be a MacOS version?  I don't know, but it's interesting they changed the name from "PC Connect" to "Acurite Connect".  Could that mean it will eventually be cross-platform?  Hmmm.....

Another random thought.... I wonder if "Acurite Connect" could run on Windows IOT.  That would mean you could support an Acurite USB console with something like a Raspberry Pi instead of a traditional dedicated PC.  More Hmmm....

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 02:26:38 AM »
I just tried this software with my 02032C console. Nice clean look but so far is proving to be a little flaky. I'm just setting the "transfer to PC" option. It is hard to get it to start taking data and sometimes if I change settings after it starts transfering, it locks up and I have to kill it.

I'm really hoping that this does not have the issues in PC connect mode 3 that every one has heard about with the 02032C console. I'm letting my console set overnight in mode 3 and will see if it will work tomorrow or not. Overnight is usually long enough to cause the mode 3 problem to occur.

Fingers crossed....

I'd be quite interested to hear of other folks experiences with this software. Please post!

Offline crecre9

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »
I've been using it for 4 days now and it has been perfectly stable (Windows 10 desktop). There may not be too many users yet because of how difficult it is to find. I ran across it accidentally and a direct Google search didn't turn up anything. For users of the console like myself, I really appreciate the direct WU upload. I'd like to see weather data upload options expanded in future releases.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
I got an email from AcuRite announcing the new software, then another email announcement and then a third email apologizing for accidentally sending two emails.  :roll:

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:28:08 PM »
OK! I have questions...

1.How often is the CSV file updated?

2. Is this CSV file compatible with WD?

3. How often is the WU update regarding rapid fire? 18 seconds?

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 06:12:37 PM »
OK! I have questions...

1.How often is the CSV file updated?

2. Is this CSV file compatible with WD?

3. How often is the WU update regarding rapid fire? 18 seconds?

1.  From the settings, it looks like every 12 minutes.  They also allow for longer intervals.

2.  I've no idea.

3.  I didn't time it, but the rapid-fire updates seemed to be in the 18-second range.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 06:49:50 PM »
18 seconds on the WU, but 12 minutes on the CSV? That doesn't make any sense. Let's hope it's buffering a full account of the last 12 minutes when it updates the CSV? Why not just update when the data is available from the sensors? I Guess it really does not matter since WD can read the USB port directly. Nice to see new software though. I will definately invest in a USB based display to give it a try. Great job AcuRite!

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
18 seconds on the WU, but 12 minutes on the CSV? That doesn't make any sense. Let's hope it's buffering a full account of the last 12 minutes when it updates the CSV? Why not just update when the data is available from the sensors? I Guess it really does not matter since WD can read the USB port directly. Nice to see new software though. I will definately invest in a USB based display to give it a try. Great job AcuRite!

It's an artifact of the way the internal buffer in the consoles work.  The internal buffer aggregates data to 12-minute intervals.  I think it can hold up to two weeks of data.  If you don't download the buffer at least every 2 weeks, you'll start losing data.  Once it fills, it stops recording.

It's just an option for people who want to keep historical data but don't want a PC running all the time.  It's not very useful for real-time data acquisition.

What you would want to do is run the console in "streaming" mode (that's set by using USB mode 3 or 4).  That will allow you access to the 18-second data, but you'd have to provide a program to build your own CSV file.  As you mention, WD probably uses the streaming mode to acquire data.  I wouldn't be surprised if WD can build an 18-second CSV for you.

Acurite's use of the term "USB Mode" is kind of confusing.  It's not like USB2 or USB3 people are familiar with for high speed data transfer.  The mode setting determines if you are streaming (18-second data) and/or using the internal logger (12-minute data)

The attached chart might make things more clear.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
crecre9: What console are you using it with?

I am already seeing lockups with the 02032C console in PC connect mode 3. I'm doing some more experiments to be sure what's happening but my suspicion that the problem is in the console (not the PC s/w) is starting to look correct.

I can confirm what nincehelser is saying about the timings. I've had a look at the USB traffic and here's what I am seeing.

The PC program queries data regarding wind/rain/outdoor temp/indoor temp several times per minute. This is the data that would be sent to WU if that option is enabled. If the WU option is disabled the app still queries the data anyway, but appears to do nothing with it.

Historical data (which includes indoor humidity) is only queried every 12 minutes, and that's what they place into the CSV file on computer. I'm pretty sure the history data is only internally updated every 12 minutes so there's no point in querying that any faster.

While the app waits for the next 12-minute history update, it is continuously reading the more frequently updated info for transfer to WU or the AcuRite server. Although this data could easily be logged into a PC file they don't do that. Only the 12-minute data goes into the PC file.

In this app, AcuRite does not provide the ability to store more frequently queried data on the PC.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »
I am already seeing lockups with the 02032C console in PC connect mode 3. I'm doing some more experiments to be sure what's happening but my suspicion that the problem is in the console (not the PC s/w) is starting to look correct.

The 2032c console seem to have some quirks.  Support at VIS suggest you should use mode 4 instead of mode 3.  That turns off the internal logging which they say has issues.

Offline crecre9

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 11:06:32 PM »
I have the 01035A1 console, someone correct me if I am wrong. I had the same results as far as data only recording to the .csv file every 12 minutes. Other than that it has been stable. I haven't seen any missing data on WU. I am using USB Mode 3.

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:29 PM »
Well, I just confirmed for sure that the connect mode 3 problems are NOT fixed with this new software app. The fact that crecre9 is using a different console does not argue against this.

Here's a snip from the log file written by the AcuRite software when the problem happens:

8/31/2015 7:21:21 PM - Report 3: An obviously wrong record was found; excluding it from CSV file.

That's not all either...at some point the software app will just lock up and must be killed. In my opinion, this log message is a tacit admission by AcuRite that there's a firmware problem in the console.

This would not be such a big problem except that indoor humidity readings are only available with connect mode 3 enabled.

It bugs me that AcuRite won't admit to or even discuss what is in my opinion the (very high) likliehood that there is a serious firmware bug in this console. They have replaced my console under warranty (and I do appreciate the gesture) but the new console works no better than the old one. My only option at this point is to buy another model of console that does not misbehave like this.

My personal recommendation for anyone thinking about purchasing a weather station with the 02032C console is this: Don't. Spend a little more money and get a different console that  (in my opinion) does not have a serious firmware problem.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:16:06 PM by aweatherguy »

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 07:17:52 PM »

It's an artifact of the way the internal buffer in the consoles work.  The internal buffer aggregates data to 12-minute intervals.  I think it can hold up to two weeks of data.  If you don't download the buffer at least every 2 weeks, you'll start losing data.  Once it fills, it stops recording.

It's just an option for people who want to keep historical data but don't want a PC running all the time.  It's not very useful for real-time data acquisition.

What you would want to do is run the console in "streaming" mode (that's set by using USB mode 3 or 4).  That will allow you access to the 18-second data, but you'd have to provide a program to build your own CSV file.  As you mention, WD probably uses the streaming mode to acquire data.  I wouldn't be surprised if WD can build an 18-second CSV for you.

Acurite's use of the term "USB Mode" is kind of confusing.  It's not like USB2 or USB3 people are familiar with for high speed data transfer.  The mode setting determines if you are streaming (18-second data) and/or using the internal logger (12-minute data)

The attached chart might make things more clear.

Thank you George! Your perspective, and knowledge base amaze me. I am very excited about new software being developed by AcuRite.

Home Weather Server:

PWS Weather Link:

Offline gomexwx

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »

I don't use the USB software very often (I'm more of a bridge guy).  However, I played around with the new "AcuRite Connect" a little this evening.

To me it looks like Acurite is working to get away from being dependent on VIS Reader and probably setting the stage for other new features.  Unfortunately, it's lacking some of the functionality of the old PC Connect and has at least one bug regarding barometric pressure adjustment for wunderground.

As this seems to be a "first-release", I expect they'll have updates out soon.

Note that this is only for Acurite USB-Consoles... it doesn't work with the Acurite Bridge.

Will there be a MacOS version?  I don't know, but it's interesting they changed the name from "PC Connect" to "Acurite Connect".  Could that mean it will eventually be cross-platform?  Hmmm.....

Another random thought.... I wonder if "Acurite Connect" could run on Windows IOT.  That would mean you could support an Acurite USB console with something like a Raspberry Pi instead of a traditional dedicated PC.  More Hmmm....

I run the new Acurite Connect software for the updates to WU and My Backyard Weather.
I liked the fact I could see my data off-line with the older Acu-Link Software.

You can re-install the old software after you install Acurite Connect. Just don't give it a MAC address and you can use it off-line and upload to a seperate folder.
Both are working great.

anything