Author Topic: My Acurite 5 in 1  (Read 22130 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: My Acurite 5 in 1
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
I am very impressed so far with this new sensor, and it's only been up a few hours. :-)

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »
Nice!  Good to know.  I got my tracking numbers today from Acurite so at least I know mine is on the way.
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2015, 03:16:25 AM »
I received my unit today, and sure enough, it came with the new sensor so I'll try to get a refund for the one I ordered separately.  I have a broken ankle so if I can get a neighbor to help me out tomorrow, I'll try to get her online in a temporary fence post location until I can get her up on the roof.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2015, 06:34:58 PM »
Some bad news. I installed the new sensor up at 20 feet, and now after a few hours, the anemometer is stuck. I've got to take it back down again and oil it I suppose?  ](*,) ](*,) Don't they oil them at the factory?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »
My anemometer appears to be sticking once in a while. It freed itself this morning but as I watch it, the thing will just stop like there is something rubbing. Then it will run smooth for a while and stop instantly again.

Anyone have any tips about the internal wind bearing of the environment pro dual panel of the 5 in 1 before I start investigating what could be making the anemometer stick? Could the assembly screws possibly be too tight?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2015, 02:52:52 PM »
Update. After taking down the unit, and taking a good look, the first thing I caught was a crack on the top of the helmet support for the wind spoons. It looks like whoever put it together pressed it down too tight. Apparently the unit freed itself by cracking the helmet. I put some rubber cement over the cracks to prevent rain from leaking in. The bearing had no play I guess because the wind spoons were running at a slight angle and rubbing against the plastic covering for the bearing. As temps got cold, the problem worsened. I did not attempt to take the wind spoons off, as I felt the whole thing may break. I did open the sensor and oil from the bottom, and oiled from the screw in the center of the bearing. We have no wind hardly at all today, but the unit is running nicely. I'll update on a windy day.

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2015, 04:13:47 PM »
Sucks when there's a problem from the factory like that.  Have you contacted Acurite to see if they'll send a replacement?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »
No. I don't want to have to send it back, and then wait and wait. If there should develop a worsening condition, I will see what they will do for me. I am disappointed that they had not oiled the bearing, and had jammed the anemometer on so tight.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »
I don't know if oiling is a good idea.  Over the long term the oil may attract contaminants (dirt, dust, etc).  I bring this observation from working on outdoor power equipment, not from my weather gear.  In some applications dry graphite is recommended over oil.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2015, 08:07:09 PM »
I don't know if oiling is a good idea.  Over the long term the oil may attract contaminants (dirt, dust, etc).  I bring this observation from working on outdoor power equipment, not from my weather gear.  In some applications dry graphite is recommended over oil.

I hadn't thought of this. Thanks. What if say after a year of use, I take some WD-40, spray down the bearing to clean it out, let it dry, then come back with dry graphite? I don't want to have to take down that sensor again!  :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2015, 04:45:06 PM »
My 5 in 1 is working very well. Had heavy rain and the gauge was perfect. Also had some modest wind today and the sensor has been up to 13 MPH and hanging around 5-10 all day. The Anemometer is spinning real fast. The temp seems to be within a degree, and the humidity is exact. I hope it continues.