Author Topic: Strange radar pattern - shear?  (Read 596 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Strange radar pattern - shear?
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:35 AM »
I spotted a small area of rain on radar this morning, separated from a larger area. The weird part is that this separated line is moving in the opposite direction to the main rain depiction. The main body to the SE is moving in a north-easterly direction. The separate area off to the NW is moving in a south-west direction. I have never seen anything this distinct on a localized basis.

This image is via GRLevel3 from KAPX. The separated band began about 7:30AM local time.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Strange radar pattern - shear?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:56:43 PM »
This a 200 image from COD. http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=APX-N0Q-1-200
Looks to me that there was a low pressure center over Saginaw Bay very early in the loop that was moving NE along with the rain shield. At the top end of the lake with the winds being counter clockwise and further from the center the convection had more of a westerly component while over the bay and the lake itself it had a more south and southwest movement. You can see that later in the loop. With low pressure still in the area I'm guessing there was enough instability to fire off some storms after the storm past.
That's my explanation. :-)
Maybe there's a met out there who can explain what really happened. :grin:

anything