Author Topic: WS-2080 temp reading 140 inside and out.  (Read 13739 times)

Offline npd136

WS-2080 temp reading 140 inside and out.
« on: December 21, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
My weather console started reading 140 degrees on both the inside and outside temps. Everything else seems to be working fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to a fix?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2080 temp reading 140 inside and out.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
From the little info. provided I'd guess the processor circuitry in the console is suspect due to both the outside and inside sensors went bad with the same readings at the same time. Highly unlikely that the 2 sensors would do this. If it's still under warranty I'd look at an exchange. Just my 2¢.

edit: Welcome to the forum and Happy Holidays!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:04:48 PM by DanS »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:48:43 AM »
Try taking all power off the console for 24 hours.  It might not help, but it can't hurt.  ::shrug::
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 04:36:46 AM »
Try taking all power off the console for 24 hours.  It might not help, but it can't hurt.  ::shrug::

Good idea, and at the same time have the USB connection to the PC (if any) unplugged in case the console got hosed up from the PC.

Offline JonnyBlaze_

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
According to this:http://ambientweather.wikispaces.com/ws2080, this issue has to do with a corruption in the internal memory.

"Indoor and Outdoor Temperature read 140 degF. This is caused by software corruption of the console memory, specifically the calibration constants. To correct, press and hold the UP arrow key for 30 seconds to restore to factory default."

I had this issue a few weeks ago. Hopefully this helps.

Offline raedh

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 02:12:47 AM »
I had this issue before , factory reset solved the issue

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:56:13 AM »
If this is one of the FineOffset units, they've got some problems.  I can't recommend them anymore after three have failed.

Offline mmosier1

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
Had the same issue and reset did the trick. Thanks!

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »
I have a WS-2090 that "reports" 140 degrees randomly for the outside temp.  Surprise to see a WS-2080 doing the same thing plus the added feature for inside temp too.  I thought it was something with the console, or the USB interface with my station.  I have my station using Cumulus to interface the PC.  I also have a second console that just monitors the WS-2090.  One day I saw that second independent monitor display 140 degrees for the outside temp.  From that I determined it was the WS-2090 outdoor unit that is reporting the error.  Since this is the second outdoor unit, I'm looking to get a different brand of station latter.

Climate is what we expect.  Weather is what we get.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:43:28 PM »
You can use the spike removal setting in Cumulus to help avoid recording some of the unreal data spikes - Configuration | Calibration | Spike Removal.

Paul

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »
Hi Paul,

I tried that too.  It didn't work.  Unless I set the wrong value.  Tried many settings between 120 and 140 degrees in the spike removal box, and it still gives the 140 degree reading.  It's frustrating.

Mike

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
From the Cumulus Help
The "Spike removal" section allows you to specify the maximum differences between successive readings that you wish to allow, mainly for Fine Offset and La Crosse stations. If a reading differs from the previous reading by the value you specify, or more, then it will be ignored. Be careful in your choice of values; if the difference is genuine, (i.e. not a 'spike') and exceeds your supplied value, then that reading will be 'stuck' at the previous value until a new reading returns to within your supplied difference. Every time a spike removal is actioned, it is logged to the current 'diags' file. Ticking the 'Log to Error Log' box will cause it to be also logged to the error log window, and the Error light will flash. Note that sometimes Cumulus detects invalid data for other reasons, and these will be logged in the same way.
The settings between 120 and 140 are probably to high and perhaps something like 10 or a bit more may be more appropriate to detect unreal temp spikes.  As the Help says, the "Spike removal" allows you to specify the maximum differences between successive readings, and even 10 degrees between readings would be quite a jump.

Paul

Paul

Offline KC9Q

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 11:57:51 PM »
Hi Paul,

Maybe you could help me understand the "Spike Removal" feature/value better.  It happens during anytime of the year: no matter what.  Reading in -20 deg F and then suddenly a 140 deg report. It does this when readings of 40 deg F, or 60 something deg F.  It doesn't matter or make any sense to me.  I have this 140 deg F reading just pop up; then again after 5 days; then again after 7 days; two days in a row.  Sometimes it occurred twice a day (but that's rare).  It happened again last night at 00:32.  Temp was around 71 Deg F and then pow: 140 deg F out of now where. 

So you're telling me I should set the Spike Removal Value to something like 20 deg?  Help me here: I set it at 60 deg, and the system reported error after error with that value.  What did I do wrong?  I'm pulling my hair out (figuratively of course) with this 140 deg value always popping up out of now where every-so-often. 

I can edit the dayfile.txt the day after and remove the 140 deg value, but it still shows in the Cumulus' Recent Extremes for Yesterday report.  I get the hint that this may be something reported from the Microchip of the WS-2090's outdoor temperature sensing unit, since I cannot edit this particular value.  The 140 deg value is then sent to WX Underground for the whole world to see the error.  Just frustrating to say the least.  This is why I'm contemplating replacing the unit with another brand of PWS, unless it can be fixed.

Mike

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:41:15 AM »
From the Cumulus forum
http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#I_get_very_large_amounts_of_rainfall_shown.2C_or_other_high_readings
I don't have a Fine Offset type of station so can't speak from actual experience but a search on the Cumulus http://www.sandaysoft.com/forum will get you a lot of discussion on unreal data with Fine Offset type of stations.  The spike removal is intended to be used to set a fixed data value change between successive readings supplied by the station which are basically impossible/wrong, i.e. 140 degree change between successive station readings, so that when that impossible/wrong data is supplied by the station then Cumulus ignores that data.  The Spike removal default setting. i.e. 999.0 is very high, basically turned off until you actually set it to something different.  If you wish/need to set the spike removal then you will need to determine what data change between successive readings is not real.  My suggestion of 10 degrees or a bit more is from local knowledge that we will not get that amount of temperature change between the station's successive readings, which I believe is 48 seconds with the Fine Offset stations.
The FAQ linked above also mentions of possible other causes for incorrect data reporting, such as selecting an incorrect station type in the Cumulus settings, so you might check that.  Steve at Cumulus www.sandaysoft.com/forum will be the talk-to-guy for troubleshooting your station and Cumulus.

The Davis VP2 and Vue is a good alternate station that are generally very reliable.

Good luck,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:47:56 AM by PaulMy »

Offline albertquiles

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 10:47:57 PM »
Just had the same problem and the "hold the up arrow" trick fixed it. Thank you guys.  \:D/