Author Topic: Boltek / Astrogenic maps..  (Read 15923 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Boltek / Astrogenic maps..
« on: October 17, 2008, 08:47:31 AM »
I may be lucky enough to get a Boltek Stormtracker PCI for xmas (I know, there will be no real lightning in Ontario till spring at least), but I am not going to say no.

I will be getting the Astrogenic Nexstorm software as well, so I can get on the web and user the Spark mobile app as well.  I think people have said it is well worth getting the CVM (composite vector map) from Astrogenic for U$40.

However what is everyone's opinion on getting the basemap that Boltek will create for you, for $59.00
"StormTracker can be used without a background map but we recommend having one. You can make your own BMP format map or you can purchase a custom made vector format map.  Please specify your GPS coordinates. Custom vector background maps are compatible with NexStorm and NexStorm Lite."

Seems the boltek one might be redundant if I am already getting the Astrogenic one?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
Re: Boltek / Astrogenic maps..
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:35:10 AM »
Andrew,

You won't need the Boltek map at all if you get the Astrogenic map.  I wasted that $59, so don't you do it too.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 10:05:16 AM »
Jim,
That's how I read it, thanks for confirming.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »
The Boltek StormTracker software isn't even being distributed with the StormTracker hardware any longer. NexStorm Lite is, so a Boltek map would be totally useless to you. You mentioned it could be used with NexStorm. I've never heard of that one before. That aside, the NexStorm maps look nicer anyway.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 10:27:10 AM »
Thanks Bob.  Its confirmed, will not buy the boltek map.  I had read a while ago that the detecter came with Nextstorm Lite, but to get all the extra's I was going to go with the full version regardless   That quote about the boltek map working with Nexstorm is taken directly from the Boltek site. http://www.boltek.com/stormtracker.html

Cant wait to setup my early warning, "drug the dog" system or at least turn the stereo up loud...   We had a tstorm or at least thunder almost every day late spring early summer this year... not that he needs meds for every storm....

Andrew

The Boltek StormTracker software isn't even being distributed with the StormTracker hardware any longer. NexStorm Lite is, so a Boltek map would be totally useless to you. You mentioned it could be used with NexStorm. I've never heard of that one before. That aside, the NexStorm maps look nicer anyway.  ;)
Bob

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
Andrew,

You'll find the lightning detection a good addition to your web site and fun to use. You'll love the NexStorm software and all that it has to offer. Make sure to sign up for StrikeStar, as your location will fill in a small hole quite nice.  ;)

Bob

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
Bob,
Looking forward to it.   I use weathergirl's data on my Blackberry using the Astrogenic spark application.  She is 52 miles from me, so my detector should definitely fill in a gap.  I will definitely join Strikestar as well.

Andrew

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
The CVM map is well worth the money. I would recommend getting the map. It makes plotting the lightning alot easier.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 09:02:40 PM »
Well UPS (united parcel sucks/scammers/shysters) ruined the "surprise"....  and once again showed why I refuse unless absolutely necessary to use their "service"

My wife ordered something from ambient, I assume, enough to have UPS charge $162 extra for their extortion, I mean brokerage fees... A bit of that is tax for the Cdn Government, but a large/huge chunk is so they can have a broker sign a piece of paper to clear customs.   US postal service charges $5 for the same service, regardless of value of item.

I should never have seen the ransom note left by the UPS driver.  She had re-directed the package to her office before it crossed the border.   Then after that delivery attempt, she called the 1-800 to pay the bill, so when it was finally delivered it could be left with a receptionist, the driver did not have the information that the COD was paid in full.  He would not call head office, he was about to leave with the package, when my wife called customer service, they verified the payment, said the driver was sent a message beforfe the run.  Anyway he went to his truck and five minutes later came out and said it was paid for....

Their notices are funny to. They have a box for we will be back 1) before 10:30am 2) 10:30-2    3) 2-5   and 4)
The last two delivery notices have both had box 2 and 3 checked.... sounds like the cable company, please be home for 6.5 hours to sign for your package....

Oh well, I will act surprised on xmas morning.  I am actually wondering what else was in the package, the net price of the detector should not have yielded that much in "fees"

I really wish ambient and other e-tailers had more diverse shipping options....

Andrew

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »
You'll love the lightning detector Andrew.

I get strikes all season long. We get those mega bands of lake effect
off Lake Ontario which have lightning in them sometimes.

Have fun with it when you get it.
Tony

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 09:52:21 AM »
Well Santa came through, even thought I kind of new because of the UPS grinch....Hopefully will get some time to setup this aft before heading to parents for Christmas dinner. 

Funny, the box had the detector, the card, astro lite, and astro lite manual, no Boltek installation guide, I know its on the net but still strange...

Luckily its fairly warm, so the attic should not be too cold...  got the full Nexstorm CD, not sure if the maps were purchased, but I guess I have a while to play before lighting comes.. although with this odd weather, you never know.

Andrew

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »
Congrats Andrew!

You are gonna love it. Let us know when it is set up, so we can take a peek.  ;)

Merry Christmas.

PS. As for the maps, you receive them via email.

Bob

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Bob,
Should be fun.  Got the card installed, downloaded the latest driver since Ed or Boltek forgot the install CD???

Anyway, the manual says I need the stormtracker software, which I dont have (due to missing CD), even to use Nexstorm....  I might try it without just to see.  Since the only stormtracker software on the boltek site says it has driver 5 (versus driver 9 which I just installe.

Will let everyone know once its functioning.

Andrew

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 08:49:51 AM »
I think I have it all configured... There was no map under the tree yesterday, so I played with creating my own map, then had to go to my parents for dinner.  The astrogenic CVM maps were under that tree.  So I finished configed last night.  So my page is up now, still have to tweak my site to add links.  I will have to dig out my old blackberry to see if my spark is working, since my Bold can do the spark app.  Here it is.

http://www.mackweather.com/stormvue.html

My antenna is temp installed in the office.  Got to get some pvc for the attic install, not sure if the depot is open today.  Boxing day is a holiday here except for certain stores/ares around the city.

Andrew

blackjack52

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
I think I have it all configured... There was no map under the tree yesterday, so I played with creating my own map, then had to go to my parents for dinner.  The astrogenic CVM maps were under that tree.  So I finished configed last night.  So my page is up now, still have to tweak my site to add links.  I will have to dig out my old blackberry to see if my spark is working, since my Bold can do the spark app.  Here it is.

http://www.mackweather.com/stormvue.html

My antenna is temp installed in the office.  Got to get some pvc for the attic install, not sure if the depot is open today.  Boxing day is a holiday here except for certain stores/ares around the city.

Andrew

Congrats.  Welcome.
Now you have to start the tweaking after perm mounting.  Just use plastic electrical tie-wraps to attach to 2wx4 in attic.  Away from a/c furnace/alum vents/metal. Log into Nexstorm forum to get setup tips.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 01:00:42 PM »
I think I am going to do something like this.

I was trying to compare to Ann-Marie in Beamsville but hers appears to have gone offline last night...

Still have family holiday's commitment, I will make it to Depot shortly but permanent mount will probably wait till tomorrow.

Andrew

ps: Bob is quick, I am already on his list of North American lightning detection stations. Thanks Bob.  I will let you know one the lightning page is tweaked, and php'd.

Congrats.  Welcome.
Now you have to start the tweaking after perm mounting.  Just use plastic electrical tie-wraps to attach to 2wx4 in attic.  Away from a/c furnace/alum vents/metal. Log into Nexstorm forum to get setup tips.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:19:11 AM by mackbig »

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 04:17:07 PM »
ps: Bob is quick, I am already on his list of North American lightning detection stations. Thanks Bob.  I will let you know one the lightning page is tweaked, and php'd.

LOL

You got that right Skippy!  ;)

By all means, let me know when you make any changes that deal with the link, so I can make the changes on my end. It gets to be quite a job keeping everyone current.

Bob

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 08:21:19 AM »
Well the depot did not have a moutable pvc dohicky like the one in the photo, nor did they have vinyl screws... so its plan b with some zip strip tie downs.. will be heading into attic this morn.
Andrew

I think I am going to do something like this.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »
You could make a moutable pvc dohicky by heating and then bending/flattening any PVC conduit or fittings.  Use a hot air gun, or simply hold the PVC above the element on your electric range.  Wear gloves, by the the time it becomes soft enough to work it is very hot.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:35:41 AM by tomcj2 »

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 08:06:43 PM »
Well I installed it this aft.  Tomcj2, used your idea. thanks.

Intall went well.  I my home office is on the second floor.  I pulled a bunch of cat 5 up from the basement to the office, and continued on to other 2nd floor rooms in the house right after I moved in.  So I already had a pull line in the wall. 

Unfortunately I have not had a hit since the attic install.  I know there has been activity, I can see it on weathgirl's site and strikestar.  So I brought it back down and used another patch cable, got hits right a way.   Looks like they sent me a bum cable.  Not that impressed so far, no manual, no install disk, and now a bad cable?..........

Andrew

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 08:17:43 PM »
Or, the attic install is the cause.  :idea:
Did the cable work before putting it in the attic?

Bob

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 08:33:53 PM »
That was the one thing I did not try prior to putting it up there.  I used a 6 foot cable for testing in the office.  There is nothing metallic at all up there.  If it works in my office with the pc and all the other potential interference, throught the ceiling and brick walls I cant see how it would not work up there with just wood and shingles to pass through.  There was not even a blip while using the supplied cable, since moving it back to the office I am average 2 strikes per minute.  But I guess anything is possible. 

I found a 30 foot patch cable, I will try with that in the office, then if it works I will pull that one up and try.

Andrew

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2008, 11:19:57 AM »
The alternate cable I found works in the attic (glad they went with basic cat5 patch cable vs some proprietary technology cable), had to move the mount a bit since the cable I found was only 30 feet or so....  So I take back by bad cable comment, since I never tested pre-pull, although I see no physical damage on the stock cable, I suppose something could have tweaked on my pulling.  Anyway I am up and fully installed.  Now to read up on config and ranging.  I have requested my strikestar registration.

Andrew

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2008, 12:13:06 PM »
Hey, I can see my place on your map too.  :lol:
Tony

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 02:27:02 PM »
Andrew,

Glad that things are working for you now. That's always a big plus.

By all means, start playing around with the software to get used to how things work. I wouldn't get to involved in calibrations right now, since it is best to use strong storms to do that. You will pull your hair out trying to do it on weak storms this time of year. Hang in there, spring will be here soon. That's when the real fun begins.

;)

Bob

anything