Author Topic: 2080 Suddenly Stopped Recording  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Reverie

2080 Suddenly Stopped Recording
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
The outside temperature is frozen at 51, the wind speed is stopped as well as direction.  I have reset the batteries on the sensors as well as reset the receiver. Any experiences with this?

Offline Reverie

Re: 2080 Suddenly Stopped Recording
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »
O.K., so I have received 21 views but zero replies so I guess this is a stumper.  Well, it certainly has me stumped.  The station has started working again.  I would say "with no intervention on my part." but I don't know if I had any effect on this or not.  Here is what I have done and what I think MIGHT have happened.

1.  I visually inspected the sensors for damage and detected none.
2.  I inspected the connections by removing them and inspecting them for damage or water intrusion.  There was neither.
3.  I removed the batteries from the sensor setup and inspected them for damage or water intrusion.  There was neither.
4.  I inspected the cables for damage and there was none.
5.  I inspected the movement of the mechanical sensors, including rainfall and they all moved typically.

Once I but all of the wires and connectors back in place I went ahead and removed and reinstalled the batteries.  When I did that the lights flashed red and went out.

Inside the house I did the following:

1.  The inside units (I have two) both were not displaying the outside sensors but did display the inside accurately.
2.  I removed the batteries from both inside units and left them out as I...
3.  Closed Cumulus.
4.  Shutdown the PC.
5.  Disconnected the inside unit from the PC.
6.  Disconnected the cable from the inside unit.
7.  After waiting an hour I went ahead and reinstalled the batteries in the inside units but left them disconnected.
8.  I rebooted the PC.
9.  I brought up Cumulus.

RESULT:  No change. 

I had to leave my cabin so I did a little soul searching and decided to leave the PC up, connected the inside unit to the cable and the cable to the PC.  I thought I would remote in today and try to diagnose from afar.

At 10PM yesterday everything resumed working.  This was about 24 hours after I walked away from the cabin.

So, I have no idea if I did something right or if it just decided to resume normal operation. 

One thought is that resetting the batteries in the outside unit caused it to search for the time signal and because of the storm conditions it took a very long time to sync up.  Once it synched, everything resumed.   Or not...

Reverie

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
Well at least from all your test results you've determined that the actual sensing elements aren't defective. It appears to have been a comms issue between the console(s) and the outdoor unit. Interference from an external source possibly such as AC power lines, nearby transmitter, etc. These could be either inside the cabin or outside. Not sure with your 2080 but I do know with the LaCrosse line that power up sequence can make a difference too. Outside sensors first and after they come up and settle then the inside console last so it can "see" them as it comes on.
Hopefully you stumbled on it and it's now go-to-go. ;)

Offline Reverie

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »
The station ran steadily for about two weeks and is now dropping off again.  I was at the cabin for two days over this past weekend and observed it dropping and regaining the signal from the sensors.  I have two identical displays in the house, in two different locations but only one is on the 'net.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to signal loss as it will disappear from one and continue on the other with no discernable pattern.  I have set up remote to the PC but will not be able to do that until I get home tonight.  I don't believe I am stretching the limits of the transmit/receive capabilities but the vagaries of the RF Gods are legendary.  Is there a way to wire the signal from the sensors to the house?  I know this defeats the purpose of the RF but at this point I need this to work.  Perhaps a different brand and model?

Reverie

PS:  I have edited this to include, the station started working again on its own at about 9am.  Weird.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:53:25 PM by Reverie »