Author Topic: Dual Pole NEXRAD radar  (Read 9445 times)

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Dual Pole NEXRAD radar
« on: March 08, 2011, 09:58:44 AM »
Looks like it's finally getting here and available through GRL2 or 3
------------------------------------------------------
WSR-88D Dual Polarization Background and Status

NWS Statement of Need 04-004 (Additional Radar Observational Data) identified the NWS need for additional and improved radar data to improve support to severe weather warnings, flood and flash flood warnings, and general forecast services.

The NEXRAD tri-agencies (DOC, DOD, DOT) have determined that adding Dual Polarization capability to the WSR-88D will provide mission benefits that aid in meeting the NWS Government Performance and Results Act. These benefits include improved hail detection for severe thunderstorm warnings, improved rainfall estimation for flood and flash flood warnings, rain/snow discrimination for winter weather warnings and advisories, data retrieval from areas of partial beam blockage to improve services in mountainous terrain, and removal of non-weather artifacts such as birds and ground clutter to improve overall data quality for algorithms and numerical model input.

In the spring of 2003 the National Weather Service (NWS) Office of Science and Technology (OST) tasked the National Severe Storms Laboratory (NSSL) with providing data collection and analysis to support a WSR-88D dual polarization decision briefing to the NEXRAD Program Management Committee (NPMC). The JPOLE (Joint Polarization Experiment) project was designed to evaluate the engineering design and data quality of the polarimetric KOUN WSR-88D radar and demonstrate the utility of polarimetric radar data and products to operational users. (For more information see Overview of the Joint Polarization Experiment (JPOLE) produced by the NSSL.) The NSSL JPOLE experiment demonstrated the performance improvements dual polarization provided in rainfall estimates, hydrometeor classification, and general data quality.

A competitive Firm Fixed Price Contract was awarded to L3 Communications (teamed with Baron Services & Essco) on September 24, 2007 for the upgrade of the WSR-88D Weather Radars with Dual Polarization capability. A Kick-off meeting was held in Norman on October 23, 2007.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Dual Pole NEXRAD radar
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »
Here's the statement from AllisonHouse:
-------------------------------------
Ladies and gentlemen…a new era in radar meteorology begins in the United States. At 17:05 UTC, or 11:05 AM CT (March 4), the KVNX (Vance AFB, OK) dual-pole doppler radar transmitted its first Level 2 radar file to the world after significant repairs and tweaks were done this morning. Level 3 data will be sent soon; and the first dual-pole data, according to the NWS, will be sent about a week from now.

Again, KVNX, Vance Air Force Base, OK, dual-pole doppler radar…is now LIVE! AllisonHouse customers can access it immediately via GRLevel2 or GRLevel2AE.

Edit: Level 2 dual-pole data moments are now being sent with the KVNX Level 2 data! You must have the license to be able to see this data, but if you do, AllisonHouse IS carrying the data in as close to real-time as possible!

------------------------
GRLevel 3 data is now being transmitted.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:34 AM »
I was almost betting the project would be again delayed..but looks like it will see completion now.

Oddly enough looks like they decided to do em all at once if you look at the NWS server stats :-P   http://weather.noaa.gov/monitor/radar/

Allisonhouse seems to still be plugging right along here though.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
Yea, I noticed that ALL of the sites were down!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »
Here's the statement from AllisonHouse:
-------------------------------------
Ladies and gentlemen…a new era in radar meteorology begins in the United States. At 17:05 UTC, or 11:05 AM CT (March 4), the KVNX (Vance AFB, OK) dual-pole doppler radar transmitted its first Level 2 radar file to the world after significant repairs and tweaks were done this morning. Level 3 data will be sent soon; and the first dual-pole data, according to the NWS, will be sent about a week from now.

Again, KVNX, Vance Air Force Base, OK, dual-pole doppler radar…is now LIVE! AllisonHouse customers can access it immediately via GRLevel2 or GRLevel2AE.

Edit: Level 2 dual-pole data moments are now being sent with the KVNX Level 2 data! You must have the license to be able to see this data, but if you do, AllisonHouse IS carrying the data in as close to real-time as possible!

------------------------
GRLevel 3 data is now being transmitted.
This is confusing.
Can I access DP now on KVNX using GR2, or do I need another sub to get it?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
It's my understand that you can get it now. I've been watching the training videos on the NWS site http://wdtb.noaa.gov/courses/dualpol/outreach/index.html

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
Yea, I noticed that ALL of the sites were down!

I understood it as a server crash..this time.

Dual Pol would be a great added feature at our radar site but it seems there are some other reliability issues that need to be addressed as well.
TELCO problems with the communications ckts are almost always a problem for our WFO..or at least to the radar site it's a problem.  The info I was getting at the start was saying there may be 1-2 week down time for the site when they begin the retrofits. Depending on when that happens and where it could be a problem..especially for those locations like me that are on the fringe of any WSR..   Maybe it's time for a DIY Doppler  :-P :-P  Now that's wishful thinking on my part :)

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »
Maybe it's time for a DIY Doppler
On my 'wish list' for next Christmas
Your own radar
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:05:08 PM by DougW »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:15 PM »
I'll take two!  :-)

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »

Your own radar

How many mortgages for that?

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:24 AM »
Your own radar

I'll take one, thanks.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:17:32 AM by Chris H. »
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »

Your own radar

How many mortgages for that?

All you can muster I'm sure for that!!!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »
I have GRLevel3... how will the Dual Pole affect me... for better or worse?   :-)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
From what I have learned from the WDTB courses is  it will be much better at differentiating between rain and hail withing a cloud structure.

Some excellent reading here   http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/Training/topic/index.asp?topicList2=Radar_Meteorology_Dual_Polarization&catalogButton2=Find+Training

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
From what I have learned from the WDTB courses is  it will be much better at differentiating between rain and hail withing a cloud structure.

Some excellent reading here   http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/Training/topic/index.asp?topicList2=Radar_Meteorology_Dual_Polarization&catalogButton2=Find+Training
I don't have time view the training right now.

So, here's my question:
Will this differentiating only be used for the storm cell detection, or will we somehow start receiving extra data which will indicate if each "pixel" is rain or hail or snow?
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »
I was looking forward to the upgrade at our site sometime in the future until I found out I need an additional $125.00 license to be able to get the DualPol data.  Definitely gonna wait till it happens at my site before I even give it any thought.

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »
I was looking forward to the upgrade at our site sometime in the future until I found out I need an additional $125.00 license to be able to get the DualPol data.  Definitely gonna wait till it happens at my site before I even give it any thought.

Curious as to where you heard of that pricing? 

GR2Analyst has an add-on for dual polarization data that costs $125
for an individual license http://www.grlevelx.com/gr2analyst/ but
I haven't seen anything on GR3 yet.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"