Author Topic: Weather Station for our local Rescue Squad Building  (Read 4060 times)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: Weather Station for our local Rescue Squad Building
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »
I am located in Macon County NC. There are 9 Fire/Rescue stations in county. The 2 that are located in the towns have any full time paid personnel. The other 7 are volunteer.

I know that there are 2 of the volunteer stations that have a weather station reporting to Weather Underground. Both have been online for at least 4+ years. Both are using Davis VP2 stations.

Your $1000 USD budget should be sufficient for a system and a camera. The price listed on the Davis web pages is the MSRP and is significantly higher than you have to pay. Scientific Sales or Scaled Instruments will give a real price. Both of these are usually better than Amazon.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 01:43:06 PM »
Ryan at scaledinstruments.com  has always been cheaper IME.  PLus he stocks the little parts, too.
Your right. My mistake. I meant scaled instruments.
 :oops:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »

If you use the serial/usb, that means leaving your computer on 24/7 right?

Not necessarily. You can use a Meteobridge device or a Raspberry Pi (which is not a traditional computer).

That's true but I get the impression that the op wants something simple to set up and use. I don't know anything about Meteobridge but I think Raspberry Pi is a little more complicated.
Not really.  Maybe for some like you, but  there are numerous setups that require next-to-nothing for setup.

I like Pis (I have three of them. one of which records and passes on the data from my VP2+). However, I wouldn't recommend this approach for someone who wants a 'plug & play solution', since even 'canned' setups will go wrong from time to time, and the Pi's OS and software needs to be be updated reasonably regularly, if it is to stay healthy. It's not rocket science, but it's not totally straightforward, either.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2018, 10:42:27 PM »
I like Pis (I have three of them. one of which records and passes on the data from my VP2+). However, I wouldn't recommend this approach for someone who wants a 'plug & play solution', since even 'canned' setups will go wrong from time to time, and the Pi's OS and software needs to be be updated reasonably regularly, if it is to stay healthy. It's not rocket science, but it's not totally straightforward, either.

Ditto on the Pis.

Once upon a time I was thinking of creating an image specifically for weewx, a database, and web server, but I never got around to it.  RTL_433 would be another nice addition.  Think meteobridge on steroids without the licensing fees or hardware restrictions.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »
If you look beyond the usual stuff from Davis that typical enthusiasts buy, Davis offers options in their catalog to transmit observations via cellular, APRS/radio, and probably even carrier pigeon from the middle of a farm field.  It is worth consulting with one of the professionals above to determine the best solution for your exact needs, and make them earn their salary.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Medic502

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
Probably will end up going with a Davis station...
Trying to figure out the correct mounting location is what I am looking at now.
I was planning on a tripod on the top of the lower end of the building... But now I am rethinking and trying to find a location for the temperature and humidity sensor that will be lower.
We have an open area approximately 40' x 40' next to the building... but this is where everyone parks and I just can't risk getting the sensor ran over by placing out in the middle... and I am also concerned about theft to be honest.
So I can get the anemometer at around 30 feet with no big problem... But the temperature/humidity sensor and rain gauge is going to be a problem for me to locate in an ideal location.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
Could you get permission from whoever owns the space to locate the ISS in the fenced grassy area just beyond the station in your picture? The fence would give you some extra security (from accidental damage and theft).
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 02:55:19 PM »
Or build your own fenced area in the grassy field where people park. Small 4 fence sections with locked gate.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 03:37:49 PM »
I was planning on a tripod on the top of the lower end of the building... But now I am rethinking and trying to find a location for the temperature and humidity sensor that will be lower.
The last thing you want is to put the ISS on the roof. All that will accomplish is giving you the temperature of your nice, black, shingled roof when in the sun and well after it sets. The tripod on the grass would be ideal. Here's some guidelines.
https://www.weather.gov/media/epz/mesonet/CWOP-Siting.pdf

Offline Medic502

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »
Fenced area belongs to the town and the water system is in that area so it is off limits... The roof is metal and not shingles...don't know if that matters or not.
Could you get permission from whoever owns the space to locate the ISS in the fenced grassy area just beyond the station in your picture? The fence would give you some extra security (from accidental damage and theft).

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
Fenced area belongs to the town and the water system is in that area so it is off limits...
Would it be worth asking them, anyway? You should only need occasional access to the ISS - if something goes wrong and to replace batteries every couple of years - and it certainly shouldn't contaminate the water! You are also not just a random civilian asking for a favor!
The roof is metal and not shingles...don't know if that matters or not.

Not really - any sort of roof should be an absolutely last resort for the siting of a weather station.

[/quote]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 05:06:40 PM »
The roof is metal and not shingles...don't know if that matters or not.
If it were white, possibly, being black(ish), forget it, just as bad.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
... and I am also concerned about theft to be honest.

Has there ever been a thread about theft/vandalism issues here?

Out in the country, the only problem I've had is kids with guns targeting the anemometer and wind vane.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
I would get the anemometer transmitter and put it up on your tower. Then I'd put the ISS on a square wood post behind the building on the grass next to the round bush. Doesn't block parking on the other side. If security is a concern then put a small square fence around it and add barbed wire on top.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline gateway2capecod

• West Wareham, Ma Weather
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 07:45:37 PM »
hello....

I have a slightly used DAViS VANTAGE VUE I can sell you for $150.00 if your interested but if you want brand new go to ryan at scaled instruments, his prices are the best. Brand new Vantage vue is less than $300.00 at most online shops.
 you will also need a Data logger which will run around $118.00.

Good Luck with your Station.....Chris

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 08:06:31 PM »
Even if the OP is still looking at this thread, with his budget I'd never consider a Vue, not even a close call. VP2 all the way.

Offline Medic502

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »
Just purchased the Vantage Pro2 with the aspirated radiation shield and wireless transmitter for the anemometer. Thanks for all of the replies.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
 =D> Undoubtedly, even more than sensor specs, ect., the most important part of a wx station is siting. Have you figured out somewhere appropriate for the ISS?     

Offline Medic502

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2018, 10:51:12 AM »
I want to try an put the ISS here... Red Mark... 70 feet between buildings. This is about the best I can do... And I am going to have to put it slightly closer to the back of the lot.
Unfortunately the Trees in back and some shrubs... have grown a good bit since this Google pic.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
Looks like that should be fine. Hopefully vandals will leave it alone. Hard to say with the older pic, but rain shadow from the trees may effect accurate rain measurement. Since you bought a remote tx, I assume the anny is going up high where it belongs?

Offline SkellyCA

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2018, 06:24:28 PM »
How high will it be mounted.

I'd like to see an after pic after it's mounted.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Davis VP2 is the best choice.  You don't want to be replacing this weather station often.  My VP2 has been going strong for 11 years, except for the direct lightning strike it sustained in 2010.

As far as mounting, it appears there is a wooden pole there for the outdoor warning system.  I would mount the station to that pole, and run your anemometer up about 20' high on it.  That's the perfect solution.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU