Author Topic: Info not showing up on Wunderground  (Read 5986 times)

Offline GreyOwl

• Station up and running, No RH or Pressure sensors
Info not showing up on Wunderground
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:46:47 PM »
For some time I have noticed that almost daily my info as well as others from my local area just doesn't show up on the wunderground page.  If I go to my station history all the info is there and up to date but just doesn't seem to be on the main page.  Is there any criteria that kicks it out or do they just selectively show what they want?  My webcam pic is there regardless.

Charles
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:48:47 PM by GreyOwl »
CWOP: CW8399
KNVNORTH32
Weather Wizard III, wired
Homebuilt DFARS
Weather Link 5.9.0, serial version
Logitech 9000PRO Webcam

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
Re: Info not showing up on Wunderground
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

It may be that their quality system is not showing your station because of the lack of the humidity sensor. The readings are showing up like 255%.

Offline GreyOwl

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
It shows up most of the time, it seems to just randomly not show up.  I have talked with them several times about the Humidity reading but no idea what to do.  My current setup has no sensor so I don't know where they come up with that data.  CWOP gets it right with no data.

Charles
KNVNORTH32
Homebuilt DFARS
Logitech 9000PRO Webcam

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45:14 AM »

I would guess that the WeatherLink software is sending the bogus humidity data to the add-on module (Wunderground v.1.15). The module then just passes this data on and is probably not checking to see if the values are valid or not.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:34 AM »
It shows up most of the time, it seems to just randomly not show up.  I have talked with them several times about the Humidity reading but no idea what to do.  My current setup has no sensor so I don't know where they come up with that data.  CWOP gets it right with no data.

Charles

I see similar things from here and not sure if it's the same issue or not. I just attribute it to Internet drop outs between here and where the data is interrupted. (maybe your webcam is showing last exposure at drop time?) I'll see data good with no breaks on CWOP and PWS but WU will have an hour missing sometimes. Another instance I'll see all three upload sites with a break at the same time of day. Records here will show no breaks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:24:09 AM by DanS »

Offline GreyOwl

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Currently my data is not showing again on Wunderground and as usual when this happens it defaults to another local station.  My webcam is still showing current images and if I go to my station history at Wunderground via a round about way all the current info is there but just not showing on their site.  Until I can figure out something I guess it will stay as is.
I suppose I really should update my Weatherlink fro 5.8.0 to the current but just hesitant to mess with something that has been working.

Charles
KNVNORTH32
Homebuilt DFARS
Logitech 9000PRO Webcam

Offline woodisgood

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:06:32 PM »
For some time I have noticed that almost daily my info as well as others from my local area just doesn't show up on the wunderground page....snip

I have had the same problem and contacted WeatherUnderground. Here's the response I got back from them:

"Your station has temporarily been removed because your temperature readings are significantly different than the surrounding stations.  It will return to our forecast pages with 24 hours of your data getting back within the normal range.  If you feel this is an error, please give us more details."

The problem, however, is that my weather station's data is collected at 3440 feet elevation, while the data from nearby stations are collected at about 2,600 feet. The differences in temperature are due to elevation differences. My station can easily be 15 degrees different in temperature from those in the valleys nearby.

Apparently, the data quality control algorithm does not take into account elevation differences between nearby stations. Instead, it assumes that all nearby stations are at the same or very similar elevations. This may be a good assumption in Iowa, but certainly not in the mountainous regions. WeatherUnderground's data quality algorithm must be somewhat new since I've never had the disappearing current conditions problems until the last few weeks. My current conditions data only shows up now when my station's temperature is close to the temperature being reported by nearby stations at lower elevations.

-Steve

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:26:39 PM »
You should explain this to them so they can correct their setup and get you back on.

edit: Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:28:40 PM by DanS »

Offline woodisgood

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
You should explain this to them so they can correct their setup and get you back on.

I've sent two message in response to their messages, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I'll post here if I get another response about the elevation issue knocking out current conditions for personal weather stations.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:15:58 PM by woodisgood »

Offline woodisgood

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:49:11 AM »
I got another response from the good folks at WeatherUnderground concerning this issue (see quoted text below). My hunch is that several of us WU'ers have micro-climate issues that the WU data quality algorithm does not account for. My suggestion is that those of you with similar problems contact WU directly and explain your issue(s). The contact address is: support@wunderground.com. Response time is about 24 hours. My data is now showing up even though it has some significant differences with surrounding (i.e., lower elevation) stations with regard to temperature readings. So my problem appears to be solved.

WU Response:
"Our Quality Control program is automated and can only do so much when it comes to micro-climates.  We rely on station owners to let us know when there is a discrepancy.  I have added your station to the list of stations that are not affected by the QC for now.  We will work more on our QC program at some point in time."

anything