Author Topic: Is this all I need?  (Read 5055 times)

Offline rvcrawford

Is this all I need?
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:09:45 PM »
I am new to this site and weather stations in general.

My goal is to be able to record the weather at my home and create charts for temp, humidity, wind speed/direction and rainfall. I also want to be able to access my home station data real-time on the internet.

Can I do all of this with the Davis 6153 weather station, the Davis 6510USB weatherlink and Virtual Weather Station Internet Edition?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance,

Roger
Davis VP2 Wireless
FARS

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
Re: Is this all I need?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum! and yes you can=) One thing though get the serial version if you can.  Its way more reliable.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 06:53:45 PM »
Don't need VWS though - Weatherlink will do it for you.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
You get WeatherLink with the data logger you need for the Davis console.  It creates NOAA-style climate reports automatically, and you can select which weather conditions to graph.  WeatherLink can upload the graphs (etc) to a personal weather website, and submit your data to WeatherUnderground and CWOP.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline rvcrawford

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 10:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the quick respones.

What is the problem with the USB WeatherLink? My Laptop does not have a serial port, can I use a serial to USB converter?

If I want my Consoul remote from my computer, should I get the Envoy instead of the Weather Link?
What software comes with the Envoy?
Is the Envoy USB or serial?

Thanks again fro your help,

Roger
Davis VP2 Wireless
FARS

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:47:40 AM »
The USB Weatherlink logger has had a checkered history of connection problems for some people.  Davis may have ironed most of them out with the latest USB drivers, but I don't think there has been enough positive feedback from USB logger users to be sure everything is fixed.  Note that there are many people over the years who have had absolutely no problems with the USB logger.

I don't think anyone has had a problem with the old reliable serial WL logger!  The data transfer rates out of the logger should be the same for the the serial or USB versions because at the logger's heart it still first outputs the data internally as a serial connection.  The USB version logger simply has serial to USB converter built into it.

You can use a high quality USB-to-serial converter such as the Tripplite/Keyspan USA19HS without problems.  I use that converter with my serial logger.

No software comes with the Envoy.  It is only a radio receiver with built in barometer, temperature, and humidity sensors.  A Weatherlink logger (serial, USB, or IP) must be attached to it and the Weatherlink software then comes with the logger.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline rvcrawford

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »
Okay so if I get the Envoy and the WeatherLink can the Console be remotely located from the Computer?

I would like to have the Console in the family room but keep the WeatherLink and Envoy in the study with the computer.

Thanks Again,

Roger
Davis VP2 Wireless
FARS

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:56:39 PM »
That's how I would have it setup.  If you have the means its the optimal setup.

The console is neat at first, but once you get your web pages going etc... you may find you rarely look at the console, but you may more if its accessible.  I have several base stations (os shack melange) around the house.

Andrew

Okay so if I get the Envoy and the WeatherLink can the Console be remotely located from the Computer?

I would like to have the Console in the family room but keep the WeatherLink and Envoy in the study with the computer.

Thanks Again,

Roger

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline rvcrawford

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:53:36 PM »

This site is great! I really appreciate the help

Now I just need some advice on where to locate the ISS module.

I live near Phoenix AZ and we get some extream heat. That's why I think I need the unit with the FARS.

I want to mount the wind sensor on top of my roof but is that too high for the temp sensor?

From the pictures on the ambient site it looks like I could mount them both on a pole.

I just want to make sure I get accurate temp readings.

Thanks,
Roger

Davis VP2 Wireless
FARS

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:27 PM »
Roger make sure you mount the ISS over grass at appx 6ft high. Keep it away from and buildings that might emit radiant heat. Also keep in mind the rain gauge should be as far away from any trees or building as possible.
The anny is supposed to be at 35ft but sometimes that's not possible. Try to mount it so that it's not obstructed. Again, that probably impossible but mount it where you think you will get the best reading.
Good luck with your station and post some pics after installation.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »
If you can't work out an anemometer site and an ISS site that is within the 40 ft connection cable distance (or the distance of a reasonable cable extension), Davis also sells an anemometer transmitter that allows you to widely separate the anemometer from the ISS portion.

Most weather station set up guides say to place the ISS over grass; however, I don't feel that an artificially watered, grassy plot is representative of native conditions in a desert environment.  I mounted mine over natural brushy vegetation and large boulders.  In this high desert environment here, I think that location may maximize the diurnal temperature swings.

If you aren't mounting the anemometer for ET measurement, mount it as close to the standard 10m height as you can minimizing influences of nearby trees and buildings.  You can always estimate a correction factor to adjust the wind speeds to the 10m standard.  The closer the height is to 10m, the closer the factor is to 1X.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:39:24 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline rvcrawford

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:17:50 PM »
With all of your help I was able to get my weather station up and running.

Here's a pic of my ISS setup.

The anemometer is too low but I'm going to mount it on top of my future workshop so it's OK for now.

Here is a link to WU

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KAZQUEEN3

Anybody know why the Wind Gust seems to get stuck on a value?

If you look through the data you can see it happens a lot. If I restart Weatherlink on my computer it fixes it for a while but them it gets stuck again.

Thanks,

Roger

Davis VP2 Wireless
FARS

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
What version of WeatherLink are you running? The latest version is 5.8.3, I believe.

BTW, that is a nice looking setup you have for the ISS & anemometer mounting.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 03:25:55 AM »
Hi Roger, congratulations with your new station, and nice setup  =D> and welcome to the forum  :grin:
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »
With all of your help I was able to get my weather station up and running.

Here's a pic of my ISS setup.

The anemometer is too low but I'm going to mount it on top of my future workshop so it's OK for now.

Here is a link to WU

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KAZQUEEN3

Anybody know why the Wind Gust seems to get stuck on a value?

If you look through the data you can see it happens a lot. If I restart Weatherlink on my computer it fixes it for a while but them it gets stuck again.

Thanks,

Roger

Wow,  :shock: you got some big moles in Arizona.  :lol:
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
 :grin:  Hey!  Nice setup...and that looks like a school nearby, correct?  :?:
Sam mentioned moles (varmints!) but I'll bet those soil disturbances are gophers.
Eh?  :?:

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

anything