Author Topic: WeatherLink Download.txt  (Read 5153 times)

Offline ell

WeatherLink Download.txt
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »
I'm connecting via IP to a Vantage Plus. For about 4 months, every 30 minutes the download.txt file would be re-written with updated data.

Now, every 30 minutes, it simply writes the date and time. No other data is written. It's still recording the data - highs and lows are available through the weather bulletin and uploaded to Weather Underground - but nothing is being written to the text file.

I've deleted the DataLists.dat and DataSets.dat files, redone the entire walkthrough and nothing seems to get this text file writing again. Help!

Thanks!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: WeatherLink Download.txt
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:16:11 PM »
How long has this been happening?

Mandatory question:  What did you change right before this started happening?  Or what happened on your PC?  (Power failure?  Crash?)

Are you running any weather software in addition to WeatherLink?

Have you updated WeatherLink to a newer version recently?  What version are you running?

Offline ell

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
This started about 2 months ago. I was archiving those files and not really paying attention to them until last week. So, I don't think I did anything right around the time that this started, but it's been 2 months, so I'm not 100% certain. I don't think so though. Totally understand the mandatory question. There is a very small chance it happened around the time I installed the e-mail alert module - it caused instability and I removed it.

I am not running any other weather software.

Weatherlink 6.0.3 - which I installed initially.

Also, I get nothing when I go to the browser either.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:53:23 PM »
Also, I get nothing when I go to the browser either.

Browse window?  And it might be helpful to tell us your WU identification.

I suggest that you do the following:

1.  Check for any .wlk files that have strange names and/or strange creation dates, and delete those (back them up first).

2.  Now, do the "uninstall/reinstall the logger procedure (complete power down the console, etc.).

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:56:10 PM by dalecoy »

Offline ell

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:01:32 AM »
By "browser" I mean the browser tool in WeatherLink. When I go to wunderground, I see data:
http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KALALICE2

Despite that, we think it might be a logger issue - I'm getting data on both the weather bulletin screen and to Weather Underground. I ask because I'm not near the device today, and that seems unlikely to be an issue. I'll give it try tomorrow.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
....we think it might be a logger issue -

"It's still recording the data" (where?)
"highs and lows are available through the weather bulletin"
" I get nothing when I go to the browser either."
"I'm getting data on ...the weather bulletin screen"

I'm not totally sure from the words you are using, but I think you are saying you can't see anything if you use WeatherLink software - but if you look at your site on WeatherLink.com, you can see data.

If that's the case, the WeatherLinkIP logger is properly sending data to WeatherLink.com, but your computer (via the WeatherLink software) isn't getting the data. 

This may be an issue with how you have configured the WeatherLink software to get the data.

Offline ell

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
I'm sorry - let me be a little more clear.

It's recording the data on Weather Underground and I can see highs/lows/rainfall totals in the Weather Bulletin area (the nice little graphs that show temperature/heat index/wind speed, etc) in the Weatherlink software. I'm not uploading data to Weatherlink.com at all - on purpose.

I ran through the setup walkthrough on the WeatherLink software yesterday to re-do all the settings, and still no data in download.txt - just dates and times.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 12:19:28 PM »
Oh.  Well, disregard everything I said. 

Because you have the WeatherLinkIP, I assumed something that I should not have assumed.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 01:28:55 PM »
I ran through the setup walkthrough on the WeatherLink software yesterday to re-do all the settings, and still no data in download.txt - just dates and times.

So, just checking:  in the Setup screen, the box for ""After download automatically export last 2 days to download.txt" is checked?

Offline ell

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 02:14:49 PM »

So, just checking:  in the Setup screen, the box for ""After download automatically export last 2 days to download.txt" is checked?
Absolutely.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
Sorry, I'm out of ideas (except possibly .wlk files with strange names). 

I'm presuming you have tried deleting the download.txt file.

Perhaps someone else has a good thought?

Offline ell

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »
Yep, I offloaded all the wlk files and had it rebuild, and yep, deleted the download.txt.

This is no fun at all! I suppose next I'll try uninstalling/reinstalling the whole affair.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 04:03:21 PM »
Shots in the dark:

Try unchecking that box, exiting WeatherLink, restarting WeatherLink, checking the box, exiting WeatherLink, and restarting it.

Try changing the download interval for one cycle.  Perhaps to 10 minutes, and then after that cycle, back to 30 minutes.

Offline ell

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »
Tried all of that and... failure.

I do appreciate your attempts.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »
Create a whole new local weather station on the pc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ell

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 05:04:39 PM »
I like this plan, I'm excited to be a part of it.

Offline ell

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 05:12:48 PM »
Create a whole new local weather station on the pc.

This worked, and I appreciate it.

It is one of those solutions I find inherently yucky. No explanation for the initial trouble, and no real reason for the fix. I'll take it, since I need to import weather data, but I ain't happy about it!  :lol:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
More likely than not, it is a hard drive sector error.  Maybe run CHKDSK or other diagnostics on the drive.  Glad I could help.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »
It is one of those solutions I find inherently yucky. No explanation for the initial trouble, and no real reason for the fix. I'll take it, since I need to import weather data, but I ain't happy about it!  :lol:

Stuff happens.

It was useful to try to isolate what setting or corrupted file was causing the problem, but that explanation was clearly not easily forthcoming.

So, the "brute force" solution suggested by Bushman worked.

Offline ell

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 04:38:08 PM »

Stuff happens.

It was useful to try to isolate what setting or corrupted file was causing the problem, but that explanation was clearly not easily forthcoming.

So, the "brute force" solution suggested by Bushman worked.

I absolutely agree. The important thing is it works now - and if it breaks again, I know what to do. I'd love to have "fixed" the other, but, yeah, stuff does happen.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »
If you ever get a partial failure, use this:  http://www.narsters.com/WLKReaderWriter/Default.aspx

Offline ell

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 05:39:19 PM »
Outstanding. Is there a tool that will bulk export WLK data to text file?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »

anything