Author Topic: Exporting Weatherlink Data  (Read 6281 times)

Offline hksacks

Exporting Weatherlink Data
« on: June 17, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
I want to be able to export "cooling degree days" and "heating degree days" data based on my personal reference points (not 65 deg.).  It seems that using the the Browse Copy or Export command always uses the built-in 65 deg reference points.  The NOAA reports do use the user specified reference points, but I can't figure out how to export the generated tables.  Do I have to create templates and upload reports to a file?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Exporting Weatherlink Data
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »
As far as I can determine, there is no WeatherLink "Tag" for either of those items. 

So, unless someone else has an idea, you're going to be limited to parsing the NOAA report. 

You might try calling Davis support - and if you do, please let us know how that goes.

And giving more details on what you mean by "export" might spur somebody to suggest a better idea.

Offline hksacks

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 02:53:49 PM »
I found an answer.  To be clear, I want to export the data to an Excel spreadsheet.  The software Help file explains how to create uploads to a web site and suggests you test it by uploading the created HTML files to your local PC.  I don't have a web site and am using the serial version of the Davis Weatherlink, but that doesn't matter.  One option under Setup, Internet Settings is to create one of several upload profiles.  This can contain the NOAA monthly report.  I attached the resulting text file.   Not elegant, but it contains what I need.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 03:02:17 PM »
I'm glad you found that.  I was aware that the NOAAMO.TXT (and other reports) can be unploaded (and captured locally).  I just wasn't sure whether that's what you meant by "export".  And of course those reports contain a lot of data that you do not need.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline hksacks

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:18:04 PM »
Davis tech support confirmed there is no way to "export" NOAA reports in a csv format.  But I also missed the fact that when you view the NOAA report it automatically creates the text file in the Station directory - no need to fuss with the internet options at all! :-)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »
Davis tech support confirmed there is no way to "export" NOAA reports in a csv format.  But I also missed the fact that when you view the NOAA report it automatically creates the text file in the Station directory - no need to fuss with the internet options at all! :-)

The "internet options" provide a way to automatically control when (and how often) it is created, of course.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 06:33:23 PM »
You CAN create a .csv file using standard html templates.  Plus calculating heat/cool DDs is easy and you could change from the base 65F.  All in the same report.  And none of those silly NOAA headers.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline hksacks

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
Do you have any example programs (.htx files)?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »
You just need to have the tags inside the HTX file.  Like

<!--stationTime-->,<!--stationDate-->,<!--outsideTemp-->,<!--outsideHeatIndex-->,<!--windChill-->,  etc. 

If you want to calculate the DD values you will need PHP (server) or Javascript (client)-side.  Still really easy to do that part, too.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
You just need to have the tags inside the HTX file.  Like

<!--stationTime-->,<!--stationDate-->,<!--outsideTemp-->,<!--outsideHeatIndex-->,<!--windChill-->,  etc. 

If you want to calculate the DD values you will need PHP (server) or Javascript (client)-side.  Still really easy to do that part, too.

Perhaps you could easily provide a complete .htx and complete program.  That would be quite useful to folks in the future, as complete examples to easily use.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 11:35:09 AM »
I would have to have complete specs since everyone likely wants something slightly different.  There are many, many .htx examples already on the Interwebs you know.