Author Topic: Max Cable Distance from Temp/ Humidity Sensor to ISS  (Read 447 times)

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
Max Cable Distance from Temp/ Humidity Sensor to ISS
« on: November 16, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
I am working on layout of sensors for Wireless Vantage Pro 2  Plus I am planning to get.
Question is how many feet can I extend the cable to the temp/humidity sensor from ISS?
To layout where sun is best for UV and Solar and no tree shadown for rain guage is on pool fence,but this would place temp sensor next to landscape stones concrete and pool.
More work I know, but am planning to send data to CWOP so trying to get siting correct over grass away from concrete but not sure how long of cable run I can have?

Thanks to everyone for all the help.
Frank

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Max Cable Distance from Temp/ Humidity Sensor to ISS
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
Don't think anyone here will know with confidence. Best bet is to ask Davis.

It used to be that no lengthening of the T/H sensor cable was encouraged at all. But now that the sensor with 25' cable attached is available (see your other thread) that recommendation has clearly been revised. It may be that with the M revision VP2 models the circuit board design was revised to allow more flexibility on the T/H input, but that's just a guess. Whether 25' is the maximum recommended or not probably only Davis will know, but there may be a reason why 25' was chosen and not eg the more common 40'.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 05:29:35 PM »
I played around with that some time back and i had two sensors to try. I started at a 100 feet and neither sensor worked so i had a 85 feet run and one worked and the other didn't but both worked just fine at 50 feet. So it depends on the sensor you get if you can go longer or not.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 08:47:45 PM »
Temp/Humidity sensor, standard and maximum cable length is 25'

Offline CW7491

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:02 AM »
Like jerryg I’ve extended mine to 50’ with no issues.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 04:37:22 AM »
Just stating the Davis spec.