Author Topic: BloomSky Sale WU extra discount  (Read 2873 times)

Offline waysta

• Contributor
BloomSky Sale WU extra discount
« on: December 29, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
Bloomsky is now another option at WU
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/buyingguide.asp

Plus, the next few days, Bloomsky has a pretty good discount, even better with the extra $50 off with the WU code.
http://shop.bloomsky.com/products-list/solar-powered-weather-station

My main station is a RainWise Agromet, so it's a little redundant and in a different class probably for all measurements, at least for precip.  Yet, the extra $50 off took me over the edge to try one.  At the least, I may be able to add a webcam to my main page, or maybe I will list a second station.  My total with shipping after the discounts was $156 (complete package with the solar panel and mount).

They say they have upgraded the battery (no longer needs a special option battery for low temps), and it is supposed to be pretty well integrated for turn-key operation into WU.  No affiliation, and all I know is what I read at UW, the BloomSky site (and a phone call), and experiences here from the earlier Kickstarter version.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:42:02 PM by waysta »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: BloomSky Sale WU extra discount
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 09:54:22 PM »
Have you any information on how this is done?

There was supposed to be a new "desktop" released on Dec 23rd, but I haven't seen any news about it.

I've been running a Bloomsky for about 5 months now.  I'm hoping the new "desktop" allows more functionality.

Offline waysta

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:09:35 PM »
All I know is he said once setup, to register at www.BloomSky.com/wun

Without the device info (just ordered today), there isn't much to see there.

Thanks for your earlier posts about it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
All I know is he said once setup, to register at www.BloomSky.com/wun

Without the device info (just ordered today), there isn't much to see there.

Thanks for your earlier posts about it.

Hmmm... I just tried it with mixed results.  It may not be fully functional yet, or only for the beta testers.

I was able to enter my Bloomsky Login and ID, then it asked me for the weatherstation and camera info.  I have an experimental station that has been idle for months, so I directed it toward that.  I also set up a new camera ID for the Bloomsky.  However, it doesn't seem to want to take the login and password associated with my wunderground station.

All of a sudden wunderground sent me a message that the station was back up!  I went to look at the data.  Something is apparently being sent, but it isn't showing in the tables.   You see the time entry, but just dashes for the values.

I can't tell if the camera is working as it is night.

I'm guessing things are still "under construction".
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:41:41 PM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:57:41 PM »
Interesting note about the app...

They've added the option for "inHg" for pressure.  It also appears that they are trying to adjust for sea-level. 

Earlier this year they only would show absolute pressure in HPa. Since they have your station elevation from your phone GPS when the station is set up, it's not a problem for them to calculated the adjusted pressure. 

I don't know if it's supposed to be MSL or altimeter, but it is unfortunately 0.35 inHg off (reading too high) from my PWS and the local airport.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:23:10 AM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
I tried registering my bloomsky with wunderground again.  This time it worked without a hitch.

If you have an existing station, don't put in the existing station id on the registration page, otherwise it also feeds data as well as the image.  Given things like the pressure adjustment problem, it really messes things up.

I ended up having to delete my registration and directed the data to my experimental station ID.  You can still associate the camera image to an existing station, though, but apparently not to two stations at once.  So the Bloomsky is updating my "production" station camera image, but the Bloomsky data is going to my "experimental" station with my old web camera image.  (Yeah... it's confusing)

The new camera image isn't showing up on my flash sticker, though.  They haven't worked quite right in a while, though.  Maybe if I just let it sit long enough it will change.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 04:29:55 PM »
I tried registering my bloomsky with wunderground again.  This time it worked without a hitch.

If you have an existing station, don't put in the existing station id on the registration page, otherwise it also feeds data as well as the image.  Given things like the pressure adjustment problem, it really messes things up.

I ended up having to delete my registration and directed the data to my experimental station ID.  You can still associate the camera image to an existing station, though, but apparently not to two stations at once.  So the Bloomsky is updating my "production" station camera image, but the Bloomsky data is going to my "experimental" station with my old web camera image.  (Yeah... it's confusing)

The new camera image isn't showing up on my flash sticker, though.  They haven't worked quite right in a while, though.  Maybe if I just let it sit long enough it will change.

Thanks for this TIP nincehelser.  I was hoping to put the BloomSky image on my existing WUnderground station and this will help me to configure it as soon as it arrives.
The next step for me then is figure out how to get the image on my website. 
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

anything