Author Topic: GRLevel3 Reliable?  (Read 17457 times)

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
GRLevel3 Reliable?
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:21:33 PM »

Actually I have a few questions.

I've wanted to get GRL3 for a couple months but haven't yet ($$$).

1)  I see many posts here with subjects like, "GRL3 down", "GRL3 ftp stops", "No reflections", "GRL3 problem", "Not updating", etc. Is GRL3 reliable? How often is it "down"?

2)  I see many references to AllisonHouse. I take it that AllisonHouse is it a subscription service that provides radar images to GRL3? Is it necessary to subscribe to AH? If not, what does GRL3 use if not AH? In other words, why do so many GRL3 owners subscribe to AH? Isn't GRL3 good enough without subscribing to AH?

3) This isn't a very good thread in which to ask this next question, but does anyone recommend another radar program over GRL3?

I'm looking for a good radar app that meets these criteria in this order: a) requires only a one-time purchase [no subscriptions], b) is as close to real time as possible, c) is accurate, and d) has images that can be uploaded to a web server.

4)  I guess I have a 4th question -- I believe GRL3 has a one-time fee for use on one computer, right? I use my laptop (portable) more than I use the desktop (all my weather apps are on my desktop). Ideally I would like a really nice radar app on my laptop (so I can use it anywhere I have an Internet connection), but I would also like to upload radar images to my web site. Since I probably can't have my cake and eat it too, which option do you folks prefer? -- having a nice real-time radar app on your portable laptop or being able to upload radar images to your web site?

Thanks!

Regards,

Kevin...

p.s.  Please don't misinterpret my questions. I just want to make sure I'd be happy with GRL3 before shelling out the $$$. I already used the trial version, but I foolishly downloaded it at a time when I was too busy to thoroughly "test drive" it. I've tried re-downloading the trial version several times since, but their website won't let me. It must have stored some info about me when I downloaded it the first time, because I removed GRL3 from my laptop and even tried downloading it to the same laptop from work, but no matter what I try, it says I've exceed the trial period.

Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
Re: GRLevel3 Reliable?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »
Kevin, I'll take a shot at answering many of your questions.

1) I've found it to be an extremely reliable program with no "glitches" experienced at my end.  When it's been down it's been because the data stream is down.  Occasionally AllisonHouse for me, but most of the time maintenance on the radar that I use or just NWS problems in general.

2) I subscribe to AllisonHouse mostly for the USPLN lightning data to augment my Boltek and the StrikeStar system.  They have many other nice things too, but a lot of them can be found elsewhere.  Your L3 data can be obtained free as can many place files.

3) I have no experience with other products, but have seen numerous threads that indicate that this is probably the "best in class".  Others may chime in here.

4) The license is a one-time fee and allows you to install on multiple computers for your own use.  A very liberal policy that we'd all hate to see go away were it to be abused.

My advice is to jump in there and get it because I'm sure you'll be impressed.  The AllisonHouse subscription can come later if you feel you need it, but I know that many folks are quite happy with the free feeds.

Good Luck.  - Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline tweatherman1

• http://webpages.charter.net/tweatherman67/index.html/
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:06:20 PM »
I purchased grlevel3 after last christmas and never looked back.

Tim

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
    • LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:29:51 PM »
GR3 is the best affordable software I have found. I had StormLab but does not compare to GR3 for my purposes. I have 9 instances of GR3 running at one time on 4 computers. They don't recommend that but I have never had a problem running multiple instances. There are so many things that can be done with GR3 that you really won't be able to appreciate it until you jump in. You won't be disappointed. AllisonHouse and Michigan Weather System offer a bunch of xtras for a good monthly subscription.

Lonnie

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 10:28:02 PM »
1)  I see many posts here with subjects like, "GRL3 down", "GRL3 ftp stops", "No reflections", "GRL3 problem", "Not updating", etc. Is GRL3 reliable? How often is it "down"?
Many times we "blame" GRL3 when in actuality it is the NWS Radar that is down. That is not the fault of GRL3.

2)  I see many references to AllisonHouse. I take it that AllisonHouse is it a subscription service that provides radar images to GRL3? Is it necessary to subscribe to AH? If not, what does GRL3 use if not AH? In other words, why do so many GRL3 owners subscribe to AH? Isn't GRL3 good enough without subscribing to AH?
I don't use AH, although many do. IMHO... first off I suppose that AH offers more, but I'm only interested in radar data so I use GRL3.

3) This isn't a very good thread in which to ask this next question, but does anyone recommend another radar program over GRL3?
I have no idea.

I'm looking for a good radar app that meets these criteria in this order: a) requires only a one-time purchase [no subscriptions], b) is as close to real time as possible, c) is accurate, and d) has images that can be uploaded to a web server.
Then it is GRL3 that you want... again, IMHO.

4)  I guess I have a 4th question -- I believe GRL3 has a one-time fee for use on one computer, right?  {snip}  I just want to make sure I'd be happy with GRL3 before shelling out the $$$. I already used the trial version, but I foolishly downloaded it at a time when I was too busy to thoroughly "test drive" it.
Mike has a very generous licensing policy. You may have as many copies on various computers as long as YOU are the only one using that computer. In other words for what you want to do there is no problem, I happen to have it installed on 2 computers here in my office, but only one computer has GRL3 running at a time.
I also don't think that $90 (+/-) is a high price to pay for GRL3.

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:04:57 AM »
Kevin: I've been using GRLevel3 for over a year now with an Allisonhouse subscription and I have to say that I am quite pleased with it. Also, Mike runs an excellent support forum, there are always people there to help :-)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:07:01 AM by weathergirl »
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:42:19 AM »

Wow. Thanks to each one of you (Jim, Tim, Lonnie, NGRRFan, Ann-Marie) for your very helpful and thorough responses. That's very encouraging feedback.

I wasn't aware that the same user could run multiple instances of GRL on different computers ... that certainly helps with my decision.

Thanks again! I think I know what I'll ask for Christmas (yes, I'm kind of slow).

Regards,

Kevin...

(Edit: Fixed typo ... it bugged me. :oops:)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:24:27 PM by WeatherBeacon »
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 06:17:35 PM »

Well, I finally bought it. I wanted to wait for Father's Day so my wife could let the kids think they got it for me for FD, but I couldn't wait as presently Michigan is getting clobbered by the boomers that have plagued the Great Plains this week. The entire lower peninsula is under a tornado watch, and tornado warnings are already appearing around the state.

So GRL3 is running, my weather radio keeps blaring, and my laptop is running hot. I'm seeing the occasional rotating circle and large hail symbols, but no TVS anywhere yet.

Kevin...

p.s.  Earlier this afternoon the pole-to-pole electric wires in front of the neighbor's house were arcing as the wind blew branches around. I had never seen nor heard that happen before. I called 911 and the fire department promptly showed up. So this is turning out to be an eventful day.
Mae govannen!

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 06:26:41 PM »
So GRL3 is running

Congrats!! Purchased it myself a few weeks ago, great software! Are you uploading to your site yet? I also purchased an Allisonhouse subscription, very neat stuff!!!

Have fun.

Jack

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Have fun guys!  Looks like I might be seeing some stuff come in here later tonight again.  With this heat, humidity, and high dewpoint it can't be only but a matter of time.

I also purchased an Allisonhouse subscription, very neat stuff!!!..

Jack,

I've debated getting a subscription.  I assume you now have lightning data as well?  Does it change the way the radar appears on the screen or updates?

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »
Mark & Jack:

Congrats!! Purchased it myself a few weeks ago, great software! Are you uploading to your site yet? I also purchased an Allisonhouse subscription, very neat stuff!!!

Thanks!

Not uploading to my site yet. I was too busy watching the storms this evening and playing with the various radar options. No TVS's, but I have a lot to learn. I also downloaded a topo map from myweatherstations.com for a background and got it to work... pretty slick. I want to read up on the GRLX owners forum (waiting to be activated) to learn more before I invest too much time fiddling and then deciding to redo everything later.

Have fun guys!  Looks like I might be seeing some stuff come in here later tonight again.  With this heat, humidity, and high dewpoint it can't be only but a matter of time.
I've debated getting a subscription. I assume you now have lightning data as well? Does it change the way the radar appears on the screen or updates?

My temp dropped a little more than 20 degrees in about an hour. Ironically, I received only a quarter inch of rain and not that much wind. The worst weather was north of us. They've really been pounded this spring. Did you get boomers this evening, Mark?

Yeah, a subscription and lightning images would be nice. But for me, one investment at a time to keep my wife happy. Actually, I think she has a new sense of peace knowing that my weather radio and radar images are very reliable. When there's bad weather, she and her colleagues check my web site from work. (Of course, it adds only one unique visit to my daily count.) She's impressed that my "advisories" page and my weather radio show all alerts simultaneously with the TV alerts.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 12:26:13 AM »
... Did you get boomers this evening, Mark?...

No, nothing here yet tonight.  I'm about 20 mile SE of Columbus.  Indiana is where I've been keeping an eye.  They are not moving East very fast.  Looks like if it holds together, it's going to hang around for several hours once it gets here.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:33:37 AM »
... Did you get boomers this evening, Mark?...

No, nothing here yet tonight.  I'm about 20 mile SE of Columbus.  Indiana is where I've been keeping an eye.  They are not moving East very fast.  Looks like if it holds together, it's going to hang around for several hours once it gets here.

Boy you're right. That bugger is moving slowly. They don't have any storm watches right now. I can't believe they don't have a more widespread flood watch than they have so far. Hang in there, Mark!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »
The TVS Icon display is based on a complex algortihm which may or may not be present in any certain storm.  I've seen cases of devastating tornadoes where no TVS was displayed.  Remember, it's just one more tool, it's not foolproof.  You'll need to learn how to read the images and study the indicators like the ones I posted previously.

By all means, register and log in to the Owners Forum.  There are a number of weather professionals there including many that work for or with the Storm Prediction Center and various universities.

http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/

Registration is free for all owners of any GR  product.

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 09:02:15 AM »
I've debated getting a subscription.  I assume you now have lightning data as well?  Does it change the way the radar appears on the screen or updates?

Hi Mark,

Yes it does now have lightning data, really cool looking when the storms fire up! There are alos numerous place files etc and they are helping me learn how to make my own. The only thing I wish it could somehow do is transfer the pop up boxes to the web. There is so much information that is missing from the "pictures" uploaded to the web!

The purchase was well worth it!

Jack

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 09:11:33 AM »
The TVS Icon display is based on a complex algortihm which may or may not be present in any certain storm.  I've seen cases of devastating tornadoes where no TVS was displayed.  Remember, it's just one more tool, it's not foolproof.  You'll need to learn how to read the images and study the indicators like the ones I posted previously.

Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do and prefer to do: learn to read the images myself.

By all means, register and log in to the Owners Forum.
Registration is free for all owners of any GR  product.

I registered there late afternoon yesterday and am awaiting my activation by an admin. Any idea how long one might wait? I'm hoping there will be much info there to learn from.

There are a number of weather professionals there including many that work for or with the Storm Prediction Center and various universities.

Wow. I didn't realize that. Thanks!

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »

Hi Mark,

Yes it does now have lightning data, really cool looking when the storms fire up! There are alos numerous place files etc and they are helping me learn how to make my own. The only thing I wish it could somehow do is transfer the pop up boxes to the web. There is so much information that is missing from the "pictures" uploaded to the web!

Jack

Hmm. Don't tempt me, Jack! ;)

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline NGRRFan

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
Yes, that's exactly what I'd like to do and prefer to do: learn to read the images myself.

By all means, register and log in to the Owners Forum.
Registration is free for all owners of any GR  product.

I registered there late afternoon yesterday and am awaiting my activation by an admin. Any idea how long one might wait? I'm hoping there will be much info there to learn from.
Mike is out of the office this week, I'm thinking he will be back in by Monday morning and get you what you need for registration in the forums then.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:22:46 PM by NGRRFan »

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 12:02:11 PM »

Mike is out of the office this week, I'm thinking he will be back in by Monday morning and get you what you need for registration in the forums then.

All right. Thanks for the info!

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »
..... There is so much information that is missing from the "pictures" uploaded to the web!

Jack

Thanks Jack!  That brings up another question.  Does the lightning data transfer to the web?
Mark 

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 10:39:42 PM »

Boy you're right. That bugger is moving slowly. They don't have any storm watches right now. I can't believe they don't have a more widespread flood watch than they have so far. Hang in there, Mark!

Kevin...

I could not belive this morning when I turned on the computer and the rain was still in almost the same place in Indiana!  Then it dried up with only some clouds here.

Looks like it's your turn tonight Kevin.   :shock:
Mark 

Offline BfdWx

• WxElement panel
  • Senior Contributor
    • Branford Weather
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 11:22:16 PM »
Does the lightning data transfer to the web?

The pictures of all the lightning does but not the embedded info like amount of strikes and how many etc.

Stay dry you guys!

Jack

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 11:23:39 PM »

Hey, Mark.

Kevin...

I could not belive this morning when I turned on the computer and the rain was still in almost the same place in Indiana!  Then it dried up with only some clouds here.

Yeah I saw that, too. That was unbelievable.

Looks like it's your turn tonight Kevin.   :shock:

Yeah. In GRL3 I have been switching between watching a large cluster of storms cross Lake Michigan into western MI and watching what looked like a sure tornado down in KS (red meso, solid pink TVS, and a distinct hook echo in BR248). Then just as I switched to the Advisories in my web site we were placed in a severe t-storm statement. I said to my wife, "We're going to get it," and about 5 seconds later my weather radio went off. Looks like a severe storm with gusts of up to 60 mph with heavy rain coming our way. Looks like we'll get a lot of training, so it could be a long night. GRL3 shows that some places in western MI have already received 3 to 4 inches of rain with more to come.

AT 1111 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS UP TO 60 MPH.
THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 7 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PERRY...MOVING EAST AT
50 MPH.

I'm starting to hear a little thunder, and it's now sprinkling.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »

Does the lightning data transfer to the web?

The pictures of all the lightning does but not the embedded info like amount of strikes and how many etc.

The lightning stamped onto the radar forms a single image, but the embedded pop-up info is not part of the image; the pop-up info would have to be part of a web page source code like html.

Stay dry you guys!
Jack

Thanks, Jack! We really need the rain in this part of MI, but I could do without the high winds and training that might lead to flooding.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 01:39:16 AM »
I could not belive this morning when I turned on the computer and the rain was still in almost the same place in Indiana!

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=ind&storyid=15198&source=0

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=ind