Author Topic: VirtualVP or some other software use with a Davis Weather Monitor II  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
I was wondering if there is a way to use VirtualVP with a Davis weather monitor II? Is so, how? If not, is there another software out there that can do it?
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: VirtualVP or some other software use with a Davis Weather Monitor II
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
I was wondering if there is a way to use VirtualVP with a Davis weather monitor II? Is so, how? If not, is there another software out there that can do it?

According to Steve Hatchett's softwx.com web site, VirtualVP is compatible with the Vantage Pro 1 or 2.  It seems to me that it should also work with the Vue.  If I'm not mistaken, the other Davis stations use different dataloggers which very likely aren't compatible.

You would need a serial port splitter (software) driver, compatible with your operating system, to create virtual serial ports that your various weather programs would use.  You'd also need to make sure that these programs operate only in "listen" mode.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:59:26 PM by kray1000 »

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »
Isn't that what I'm using right now? I using com0com. It is compatible with my operating system. I am currently running my weather station with this.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:44 PM »
Isn't that what I'm using right now? I using com0com. It is compatible with my operating system. I am currently running my weather station with this.

I believe the com0com driver would be used for the weather programs, and not needed for the station/datalogger itself.

I've never used that driver, but if it works like the N8VBvCOM driver I use, you'll use that driver to create different pairs of COM ports.  Do you recall seeing anything like that in your configuration of com0com?

Offline Andy Thompson

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:21:14 PM »
I am already using this program. In fact, I think you helped me set it up. Yes, I do remember seeing the pairs because I set it up. Now what about getting Virtual VP to work with a Davis Instruments Weather Monitor II?
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:35 PM »
I am already using this program. In fact, I think you helped me set it up. Yes, I do remember seeing the pairs because I set it up. Now what about getting Virtual VP to work with a Davis Instruments Weather Monitor II?

To reiterate, I don't think VirtualVP will work with a different datalogger.

However, I don't think you need VirtualVP.  It's not VirtualVP that's really doing the work, it's the virtual serial port driver, com0com in your case.  The VirtualVP is really just a status monitor.  If you haven't already, try running your different weather programs, each using a different COM port (the lower number in each pair).