Author Topic: Acu Rite Placement  (Read 1401 times)

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
Acu Rite Placement
« on: March 17, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
I have two acu rite sensors. One is the tower sensor which is in a stevenson screen(home made) and the other is the 5 in 1. The 5 in 1 uploads to wunderground. The 5 in 1 is usually reading 2-3 degrees higher than the tower sensor during the day. During the night they are usually the same. My 5 in 1 is mounted on a roof. It is not mounted much higher than the roof. Only about the mounting bracket higher. Would this be what is affecting the readings? Does anyone have a suggestion for where to place it. I am very limited in spaces to place it. I have a pool in my backyard with a deck where it can't be placed anf front yard isn't an option either. Thanks in advance!

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
Re: Acu Rite Placement
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:09 AM »
Yes the roof can definitely cause spikes in temperature especially when no wind is blowing. Is there anyway to extend it a few feet higher?  If not, a new location may be the answer. That being said, 2-3 degrees is within spec also. The only way to compare your tower sensor and 5 in 1 is to have them co-located. Even 20 feet away can be different temperatures as I've learned in the past.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
Tripod mount with 8'-10' pole would give better separation roof. Lighter shingled roof will generate less heat than darker also.
I personally wouldn't own any all in one weather stations including the VUE. Wind needs measured at 33'-10 meters, temperature at 5-6' and rain also at ground level. Just my 2 cents.
Best compromise is elevated ie: Tripod type mount as far away from heat source and compromise on rainfall. If rainfall is important purchase a plastic Cocorahs rain gauge and mount at ground level. This is best practice for everyone with any tipping bucket gauge especially for those with frozen precipitation. Adjustments can be made with records, I do it all the time with my Davis rain gauge.

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
Roof bad.

anything