Author Topic: Is Davis now looking pretty old tech  (Read 8845 times)

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
Is Davis now looking pretty old tech
« on: February 06, 2016, 05:37:26 PM »
While I have a Davis Vue and runs well, they are looking very dated technology.  Some are now coming out with colour lcd screens and separate indoor temp sensors,  yet Davis still uses a 90's lcd technology.

While my Davis Vue has been reliable and accurate with no issues and around 4 years old, been looking and decided to get a Ambient ws 1001 clone. The reasons are:

Looks modern with colour display.
Can leave LCD screen on and illuminated all day if I wish and does not effect temp as it has an external temp sensor.

The Davis it's inside so don't leave the back light on as it effects the inside temp accuracy.

No computer needed with the Ambient clone so no computer on 24/7 to send data to weather underground.

The Ambient has all the info and more than my Davis Vue and easier to see and neater than my Vue unless I hook it up to computer.

Don't like the idea of having to have my computer on 24/7 to record  weather data, when the Ambient does the same without the need of a computer.

Sure the Davis gives options to run other software on computer, but needs to be on 24/7,  but love the Ambient due to has all the info I need without a need to have a computer on and sends info to weather underground.

For me the Ambient suites my needs and want a weather station that is far more modern in appearance and display wise.

I know l crosse also have now colour display full weather stations but at the cost of less info on screen

Looking around at the cost the Ambient seems a great deal and more info available than many others out there and even uv and light lux info which the Vue does not have.

Some may say a backwards step, but want something that I more modern and can have the display on all the time or timed anyway which the Ambient can.

It looks easier to read the the Vue and can even have colour graphs on screen, something he davis cannot do unless hooked up to a pc.

Is it not time Davis moved into the 21st century instead of still 90's looking display technology?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Is Davis now looking pretty old tech
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 05:44:44 PM »
A lot has been posted about this in the past on this forum, just see if you can find the old threads. We discussed about what could be added and about the Davis Pro 3 "wishlist" - but we also came to the conclusion that because there is no real equivalent competitor, they do not really have a need to do anythng... they know people will buy even this if they do not have to compete. And there are even no signs of anything new coming in the near future (unfortunately because I completely agree with you, I also think the console for example looks awful - but it is subjective)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:47:38 PM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 05:47:49 PM »
To each their own. I'll take performance over appearance every time and smile about it.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:58:39 PM »
Not the only one abandoning davis have read not on the Davis forum but others choosing more modern stations over davis, so are slowly losing what could have become potential customers.

But the Ambient and their clones look about the best alternative at a good price point. Others I have seen while look nicer offer far less info, which is why I chose an Ambient clone as looks the next best option out there.

Offline HamiltonNJWeather

• Contributor
    • HamiltonWeather.Net
Is Davis now looking pretty old tech
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
To each their own. I'll take performance over appearance every time and smile about it.

I agree...

I have been running Davis for almost 10 years now. First with HorshamWeather.Com, and now with HamiltonWeather.net. Except for an ISS board that went bad(due to water & my negligence of affixing the cover improperly ) I have had nothing but superior results & consistent, accurate data. Would I want some changes? Of course I would. That being said, I'll be sticking with Davis.
John

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:06:50 PM »
Not the only one abandoning davis have read not on the Davis forum but others choosing more modern stations over davis, so are slowly losing what could have become potential customers.

But the Ambient and their clones look about the best alternative at a good price point. Others I have seen while look nicer offer far less info, which is why I chose an Ambient clone as looks the next best option out there.
Oh, I get it, but more modern certainly does not necessarily mean better.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 06:21:32 PM »
Ture but makes or breaks companies. Davis has such a good reputation they use their name only to sell their products and must admit do sell well and good. But can only do this for so long before people get more modern stations costing less and offering more.

To see how bad davis are their weather link program while runs well has had no updates and looks windows 98 or earlier look.

Davis don't seem interested in updating and just relying on name only just like apple.

There are many examples of newer not always better in this world but progress is progress and for worse or better things change and seems davis don't understand this concept.

For me I want something a lot more modern and not have to have my computer on 24/7 to make use of it and easier data read.

Davis will need to move into the 21st century or fail and stop producing weather stations.

I am just one of many cases moving away from davis and want something more in line with the 21st century.

I still may keep my Davis Vue running will be nice comparing the too.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »
Ture but makes or breaks companies. Davis has such a good reputation they use their name only to sell their products and must admit do sell well and good. But can only do this for so long before people get more modern stations costing less and offering more.

To see how bad davis are their weather link program while runs well has had no updates and looks windows 98 or earlier look.

Davis don't seem interested in updating and just relying on name only just like apple.

There are many examples of newer not always better in this world but progress is progress and for worse or better things change and seems davis don't understand this concept.

For me I want something a lot more modern and not have to have my computer on 24/7 to make use of it and easier data read.

Davis will need to move into the 21st century or fail and stop producing weather stations.

I am just one of many cases moving away from davis and want something more in line with the 21st century.

You seem to be bent on bashing Davis's decision to stay with what has worked for them and their customers for many years.

IMHO, regardless of how old the "looks" may be, you cannot argue that over time, the old Davis VP2 has been a workhorse that, like the old Timex watches, just keep ticking. I have friends who have purchased "cheaper" weather stations that have a more modern appearance in their displays and exterior designs but ALL of them have long since died due to failing components and their inherent inability to handle harsh weather conditions or UV exposure while my 10+ year old VP2 just keeps running and provides me with reliable and accurate weather data.

Davis does make changes to their stations. An example is the switch-over from a reed-switch used on the anemometer to a new design using a hall-effect sensor to do the same thing. Additionally, that change required no change in anything else. It was simply plug-compatible. They've also made internal changes to the ISS over the years with the goal of increasing reliability for their customers. Do you see that in other stations? Davis VP2's can be found all over the world in some of the harshest environments around yet, they just run. Fancy and modern displays add NOTHING to the functionality or usability of these stations.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 06:44:41 PM »

Absolutely agree... but....

they are not contradicting one another - in other words why not have sometihng well performing and looking nice :)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »
costing less and offering more.
Offering more for you, not me.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 06:50:23 PM »

they are not contradicting one another - in other words why not have sometihng well performing and looking nice :)
As I've said before, when someone threatens Davis's overall perch, they'll have something new.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
Please do..... ;)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 06:54:03 PM »

Agree and perhaps someday down the road Davis will introduce a new VP3 or whatever they choose to call it that fills both of those desires. People seem to get upset when a corporate giant doesn't do what they (the people) want them (the company) to do. Unfortunately, companies move slowly when it comes to introducing new enhanced products. With today's unknowns relative to worldwide financial stability, I don't doubt that many companies are playing it safe until things settle down (if they ever do)...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
OK, i wont go into too much detail, but here is a brief summary of what I think is the way to go:

Davis should really concentrate purely on the sensors - they are the best at it and it is something that is of extreme importance.

Then, they should make it modular, in other words, allow connecting your tablet etc. directly to it - they cannot compete with companies such as Lenovo, Samsung, Apple etc. so even if they developed a new tablet-like console, it would soon be outdated.

Next, this modular system would allow adding extra sensors. Instead of offering the console they could have sensors for snow depth, fog, lightening?, IP cam, emissions etc etc. And it would be ideally possible to connect all this into one single device and have this sent as one data package to some central unit.

And this central unit would be able to send the data directly by Wifi, or connect by Modbus, or simply by a cable to any external device - tablet, smartphone, sent directly to server etc etc. And this would then be an ideal system... imho....

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
Jachym - great ideas! And, being modular means it would be easy to make changes to individual components as technology advances over time. The only issue is to have enough forethought when the base unit design is made that will allow for easy expansion without having to redesign over and over again with each new component or sensor.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »
The idea was that there really would not be any "base station". You would have various different sensors, cameras etc. and the "base station" would be pretty much just like a hub with many connectors to which you would connect all the input devices and could be extended any time in the future. And this base unit would only integrate all the inputs and then send it off using various communication protocols - Modbus, wifi, ethernet, USB etc.

Ideally you could for example even upgrade the sensors. I can imagine they could for example develop several versions of the same sensors, some being more sophisticated, but also expensive and once you could afford the better one you would just replace it.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 11:17:09 PM »
I'm not really sure what to think about people that say they will take performance over appearance every time. There is no reason you can't have both performance and appearance at the same time. 99% of Davis' performance in in ther sensors. With little development these sensors could be made to work with a more modern display. For those that just have to have the old LCD display, still offer it. Options are good for everyone. A Davis display and IP logger is $400, just think what kind of display and improved functionality you could buy for that amount of money. I can no reason that a company like Davis couldn't develop a module that would take the info from the ISS and retransmit it as an ascii text file via WiFi and/or ethernet for $150. Than any number of other devices could use that data.

But then Davis likes to keep everything proprietary. They don't want you to be able to use 3rd party hardware. Not that long ago they changed their display firmware and data loggers (green dot) because there were clones on the market. They didn't make a new data logger to improve it, just to eliminate the use of clone data loggers, no matter how much it caused problems for users. We see how well that worked!

Is Davis ISS's good? Yes. Is their display outdated? IMHO Yes. I use a Davis weather station, but I only use their display/datalogger (brought before a clone was available) to feed my computer. For all intents and purposes, the display/logger is hidden from view. But then that also makes the indoor temps useless because it is in the same room as my computer equipment which is normally warmer than the rest of the house. Seriously, even $100 weather stations have remove indoor temperature sensors.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 11:18:48 PM by hankster »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »
If I could have performance and appearance, of course I'd take it, who wouldn't. But since I don't make PWS's, I must choose what suits me, and that will always be performance over appearance.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 12:01:36 AM »
I don't have an answer to my next question but it may be one that we all need to take into consideration...

Davis obviously has a target "audience" and "user base". Some of that user base consists of users like ourselves. However, were we really their intended customer base when these systems were designed years ago? Based on what I have seen, I suspect the non-commercial/non-scientific (i.e. PWS users) community were not their initial intended customers. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, Davis units can be found all over the world from the Arctic to the Antarctic and all points in between. You'll find them on mountain tops and on-board seagoing vessels with most of those installations being based on scientific, military, industrial and commercial storm-chasers. Those kinds of installations are mostly interested only in getting reliable data from a reliable set of sensors that will survive in their required environments.

Perhaps it is a bit naive of us to even think that Davis wants to satisfy our desires when they have such a large commercial customer base. Are they just toying with us and hoping we will buy their equipment without having to engage us and answer to our requests for newly designed equipment? My guess is that the VUE was their attempt to satisfy the general PWS population with a unit that was smaller and a bit less expensive than the VP2. In my estimation, they underestimated the real desires and perhaps sophistication level of the PWS community. Thus, the reason for the discontent being voiced in this and other threads.

All we can do is to submit our concerns, desires and ideas directly to Davis. If enough of us voice those ideas, in a civil manner, we just might see a new product developed that would meet our needs and ultimately give Davis a new product line that will be just as successful for them as the VP2 has been over the years.

I've always felt that if one must complain about something that it is incumbent on that individual to think through the issue and be prepared to give a sound, well thought out solution to whatever is being complained about. Just complaining does no one any good and most certainly won't get the issue resolved very quickly. This thread has seen some complaining but it also has had some worthy suggestions to resolve the Davis "old style" issues. Let's put those ideas down on paper and send them to Davis for consideration.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:04:07 AM by W3DRM »

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2016, 12:03:30 AM »
The Davis will end up a niche market only, just like vinyl records and cd's which are better in sound quality but only sell to the small few.

This is how davis will end up, where most go for the more modern look, it's progress, maybe not always good, but cannot be stuck in the stone age of technology.

Some like to be stuck in the stone age, but is a minortiy and this is where davis will be stuck in, those who like old technology.

Just imagine if we all stuck with black and white tv, progress and tech advances and so do weather stations apart from Davis which may have held back the others for awhile a it took ages for colour to come about and now there is progress at last.

It's nice having a weathet station here a pc is not needed.

Davis will never died but left behind with its fan base just like those who still love cd's and vinyl records .

But most want convenience over old tech and one that does away with the need of a pc I very convenient and cheaper power bills.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:22 AM »
I don't have an answer to my next question but it may be one that we all need to take into consideration...

Davis obviously has a target "audience" and "user base". Some of that user base consists of users like ourselves. However, were we really their intended customer base when these systems were designed years ago? Based on what I have seen, I suspect the non-commercial/non-scientific (i.e. PWS users) community were not their initial intended customers. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, Davis units can be found all over the world from the Arctic to the Antarctic and all points in between. You'll find them on mountain tops and on-board seagoing vessels with most of those installations being based on scientific, military, industrial and commercial storm-chasers. Those kinds of installations are mostly interested only in getting reliable data from a reliable set of sensors that will survive in their required environments.

Perhaps it is a bit naive of us to even think that Davis wants to satisfy our desires when they have such a large commercial customer base. Are they just toying with us and hoping we will buy their equipment without having to engage us and answer to our requests for newly designed equipment? My guess is that the VUE was their attempt to satisfy the general PWS population with a unit that was smaller and a bit less expensive than the VP2. In my estimation, they underestimated the real desires and perhaps sophistication level of the PWS community. Thus, the reason for the discontent being voiced in this and other threads.

All we can do is to submit our concerns, desires and ideas directly to Davis. If enough of us voice those ideas, in a civil manner, we just might see a new product developed that would meet our needs and ultimately give Davis a new product line that will be just as successful for them as the VP2 has been over the years.

I've always felt that if one must complain about something that it is incumbent on that individual to think through the issue and be prepared to give a sound, well thought out solution to whatever is being complained about. Just complaining does no one any good and most certainly won't get the issue resolved very quickly. This thread has seen some complaining but it also has had some worthy suggestions to resolve the Davis "old style" issues. Let's put those ideas down on paper and send them to Davis for consideration.
Excellent post.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 12:11:12 AM »
Reading past posts and wish lists Davis does not care.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 12:17:19 AM »
The Davis will end up a niche market only, just like vinyl records and cd's which are better in sound quality but only sell to the small few.

This is how davis will end up, where most go for the more modern look, it's progress, maybe not always good, but cannot be stuck in the stone age of technology.

Some like to be stuck in the stone age, but is a minortiy and this is where davis will be stuck in, those who like old technology.

Just imagine if we all stuck with black and white tv, progress and tech advances and so do weather stations apart from Davis which may have held back the others for awhile a it took ages for colour to come about and now there is progress at last.

Davis will never died but left behind with its fan base just like those who still love cd's and vinyl records .

But most want convenience over old tech and one that does away with the need of a pc I very convenient and cheaper power bills.
Just because Davis's console isn't nice and pretty as you'd like, anything south of RM Young, their PWS's are as good as they get. They're built to perform, not necessarily look pretty. If looks are that important to you, great. We obviously have different philosophies.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 12:24:37 AM »
And Davis has had it for years... WeatherlinkIP.

Paul

anything