Author Topic: INTERMITTENT LOSS OF DATA PACKAGE DELIVERY TO WEATHER UNDERGROUND  (Read 10737 times)

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Midnight Star 1 Station At Rumsey Island Joppa, MD
  • Senior Contributor
    • Midnight Star 1 At RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD Local Weather Conditions
Re: INTERMITTENT LOSS OF DATA PACKAGE DELIVERY TO WEATHER UNDERGROUND
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
Ok. Update as promised. Received new data logger along with upgrade to WeatherLink software. I now have version 6 .0 .3. I powered down the station. Removed batteries & AC as well as old data logger. Already uninstalled old version of Weather link and installed new version of weatherlink. Called David and registered new DID number on the data logger. Reset user name and password on weatherlink.com page uploads. I noticed when I installed the new data logger the pin socket connection was nice and snug which was never the case previously. This I believe was one of the issues causing the problem. I replaced the original Ethernet cable that was old and gray and wrinkled sort of like myself and used the new Ethernet cable that came with the data logger. So new WeatherLink software, new data logger, new Ethernet cable and everything seems right as rain. Originally when I was having data interruptions turning off the retransmit setting on the consoles and changing the ethernet cable solved the data interruption problem however it was impossible to download to WeatherLink with the old data logger. Now after only one minute I can download manually. Now I will wait 24 hours and make sure that there is no data interruptions and if there isn't then all of the problems that I have been dealing with will be solved. So to sum it up I believe I had a bad data logger and bad Ethernet cable and perhaps the new WeatherLink software plays a part in this too. Many thanks to all who contributed in helping me to resolve this issue. Please feel free to reply back and let me know if I forgot anything that would be pertinent to helping others if they have a similar problem.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:11:25 PM by Midnight Star 1 »
STEVEN B. SADLER
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 Wireless, ISS Pole Mount Back Yard
KMDJOPPA3 Wunderground, WeatherLinkIP, DW3776 CWOP
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
Thanks for the update.

Now after only one minute I can download manually.

Download from what?  The logger?  Or from WeatherLink.com?  [That is, what is your Communications Port ID setting (local, remote, or web download)?]

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Senior Contributor
    • Midnight Star 1 At RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD RUMSEY ISLAND JOPPA, MD Local Weather Conditions
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
Sorry about that. Download from the data logger to the new WeatherLink software. It would not do this before with the old data logger and that was with the guidance of Davis tech support. Communication port set TCP /ip and I am NOT using web download right now. What I was saying is previously with the old data logger when I would go into WeatherLink 5.9.0 and clicked on the download menu nothing would happen. Now with a new data logger and a new software I just go to the download menu click on Download and presto download occurs. I am assuming that when you click download its pulling from the data logger correct or am I wrong about that? That's as long as I am not setting the software to Web Download  ???
STEVEN B. SADLER
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
Sorry about that. Download from the data logger to the new WeatherLink software. It would not do this before with the old data logger and that was with the guidance of Davis tech support. Communication port set TCP /ip and I am NOT using web download right now. What I was saying is previously with the old data logger when I would go into WeatherLink 5.9.0 and clicked on the download menu nothing would happen. Now with a new data logger and a new software I just go to the download menu click on Download and presto download occurs. I am assuming that when you click download its pulling from the data logger correct or am I wrong about that? That's as long as I am not setting the software to Web Download  ???

Yes, that is correct.  With that port setting, you are getting your download from the logger.

However, if you used Web Download, you should be able to recover some of the historical data that is stored on your WeatherLink.com account.  It appears that you are using the same WeatherLink.com station identification/login, "midnightstar1".

In any case, It's great to hear that things are now going well.

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »
I will do the Web download to recover my data.
Thx for that tip :-)
STEVEN B. SADLER
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2016, 07:04:02 PM »
I opened up WeatherLink 6.0.3 and attempted to download from the web and it imported or downloaded the day that I had previously from May 2015 for that month only as a matter of fact I think for the only one day in May. It is also downloading all data since I installed the new data logger and the software. It appears that no matter how I do it there was the data lost from May 2015 all the way to January 2016 . I will try it again not downloading from the web but I believe that information has been lost forever but what I don't understand is why in the world can I find my data on Weather Underground but I can't pull it off the data logger or downloaded from the web. Understand the new data logger wouldn't have all that information from all those months if the old data logger was completely glitched out he wouldn't just transfer. But I can tell since the installation of the new data logger and the software that everything is running as it supposed to be. It looks like on May 6th 2015 something stopped data from downloading. I know it's not a bad internet connection because I used my internet. I was using it to run my computers and stream videos etc... I did try something else just to see what would happen. I temporarily fired up VWs version P 15.0 and downloaded data. It had all of the dates from back May 6th till the new data logger and software was installed but it had error number 1 Download error number 2 Download error number 3 download and it did this for months and I didn't even know it. That'll teach me to keep an eye on my data.
STEVEN B. SADLER
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that - Did Davis perhaps actually set up a "replacement" WeatherLink.com account for you (with the same name, location, password, etc.) - when you worked with them to register the new logger?

[Or maybe just setting up the new logger resulted in deleting all of the previously-archived data].

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2016, 09:47:57 PM »
No. I think the data was just not recorded but I still have history from 2009 to present at least.
I'll keep lookin for a way though.
STEVEN B. SADLER
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »
...but what I don't understand is why in the world can I find my data on Weather Underground but I can't pull it off the data logger or downloaded from the web.

I don't have time to go back over this thread in fine detail. But there's no great mystery in principle as to why data from an IP logger could be found on WU but not in the logger or wl.com.

You just have to remember that all WL logger generate two kinds of data - current data and archive data. The current data is what's visible on the wl.com web pages and also AFAIK what's then transferred on to WU. Presumably WU have a process for storing this current conditions data into their own historic data format that you can download from WU.

But downloads from the logger or from wl.com to the local Weatherlink software are only archive data. It's perfectly possible for some issue to have arisen with the archive data uploads from the logger but for the current conditions data to upload as normal. No way of knowing whether this is what's happened but it's the most obvious answer.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:16:25 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 02, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
Sounds logical to me
STEVEN B. SADLER
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline Midnight Star 1

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »
I have had no further issues since replacing the data logger, upgrading to WeatherLink 6.0.3, replacing an old ethernet cable, & changing the "Retransmit " option on both consoles to "Off".
All fixed. Thx to all.
STEVEN B. SADLER
DAVIS WEATHERLINK

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2016, 08:59:31 PM »
Great