Author Topic: Oregon WMR200  (Read 18005 times)

Offline emr

Re: Oregon WMR200
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 08:05:08 AM »
Greetings from a new member! I'll borrow this existing thread.

I bought an Oregon WMR200 about a month ago and today finally got it up and running. The delay was mainly due to lack of time and trying to figure out how to attach the anemometer part to my house.

There's a couple of questions I'd like to ask.

- We're living quite close to the sea here, probably about 5 to 10 meters from the sea level. When I off-set the base station to 10 meters, it gives me a barometer reading that's about 7-8 hPa higher than an official weather station which is within a few kilometers from here and also at 10 meters. How come such a different reading, is the WMR200 really so inaccurate?

- The other question is about the base station's temperature reading. As I was wondering about the barometer reading, I took the base station outside the house to see if the reading changes. Then I noticed that the "IN" temperature didn't change either even though it's below freeing point outside. What on earth? Does the base station update the reading very infrequently? I do have another in-house sensor (an OS-THGR810) but to my understanding the base station shouldn't be reading its measurement.

BTW, is there a better, unofficial manual available for this weather station somewhere? The one that comes with it is fairly useless.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline emr

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2009, 08:25:55 AM »
I'll comment on my own post above. I ended up offseting the console's altitude to - 60 m (!) and with that the readings seem fairly accurate.

However, I have another question. I'm thinking about whether and how to connect the console to a computer, possibly my home wlan and to the internet to upload data. Another post here says that the software options are VWS and WD. But how about Meteohub then? And as I'm a bit confused regarding these different softwares, which exactly helps me do what? I thought they're just different ones doing the same thing, but then again some people are running two or three different softwares. Why is that?

So let's say I'll buy a Fit-PC Slim to connect via USB to the WMR200 console and using wlan to the net, could I upload the wx data to the computer and my own website, WU and/or another wx site with just one mentioned piece of software?

Thanks.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 08:42:08 AM »
I use VWS as my main software mainly because of how easy it was to build my ow web site. I have WL because it came for "free", but I still like to use it from time to time due to the different formats that can be used to display the data, especially the strip charts.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:38:58 PM by tomcj2 »

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:59 AM »
Hey emr,

First, if it hasn't been said, Welcome to the forum!

To generalize, most PWS use different protocol to display their data. Even different models of the same brand. I do not own an Oregon WMR200 so I can't be specific. I would suggest starting a thread asking owners of your PWS what software they use and why. Most PWS will only support one software program at a time so you will probably have to choose either/or. Virtual Weather Station is a very popular software that supports a wide range of PWS and is easy to use. Weather Display is more complex and has a steep learning curve, but it is probably the best supported of the weather softwares. I have found a new program, Cumulus, that I like but I don't know for sure it supports your PWS. There are several more programs that I'm not familiar with, some of which may have been written specifically for your PWS.

Good Luck, Take your time, and HAVE FUN!

George

Offline emr

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice and welcoming to the forum.

anything