Author Topic: Anemometer Failure  (Read 4521 times)

Offline Russell797

• Lowell Highlands Weather
Anemometer Failure
« on: December 21, 2007, 08:50:43 AM »
It's been about 14 months since I replaced my 8 year old Weather Monitor II anemometer with a new one. Several times during it's lifetime the wind speed failed to record even though the cups were spinning. Wind direction continued to function. A reposition of the wind cups on the rotation shaft was the solution. Now the same thing seems to have occurred with the new one. The difference this time is the existence of over a foot of snow on my roof. I'm not going up there! It will have to wait.

Does this problem exist with the Vantage Pro line of anemometers? Is anyone else having to deal with this?
Lowell Highlands Current Weather Conditions

Offline jruys

• Yo
  • Senior Contributor
    • Highlands Ranch Weather
Re: Anemometer Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »
This has happened about three times in the last year with mine.  It always seems to happen in high wind also:(  To fix mine I don't even need to take the cups off, I just give it a tap and it starts working again (after I drag the ladder out and climb up on the roof).  I am not too happy with the "redesign" of the anemometer, I never had a problem with the old Weather Wizard II one.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:27:25 PM »
.... I'm not going up there! It will have to wait.

Does this problem exist with the Vantage Pro line of anemometers? Is anyone else having to deal with this?

Aw where's your sense of adventure?  It's just a little snow up there.    ;)

Yes, it happened on my VP 1 just before the warranty expired.  The replacement has been running (knocking on wood) flawless since 2003.  It was no doubt a sticky reed switch causing the problem.  I could tap the base of the antenna tower it is on with a hammer and get it to measuring speed again for a few hours to a day.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Russell797

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:38:59 AM »
The roof of my house is pitched quite steeply. I just measured 16.5" of snow on the ground around my yard. There would be somewhat less than that "up on the roof" :-({|=..... I suppose if I were real careful I could climb on my belly, kind of shimmy up there and give it a tap. The ride down might be fun too! \:D/

Loosening the set screw on the wind cup shaft and repositioning the cups always worked for an extended period, even years, but eventually it has had to to done again. I believe that is the correct way to go about the fix, but reaching the anemometer which is more than 5' above the roof line is a bit dicey (and scary) (and stupid) while placing a foot on either side of the peak, holding on for dear life with one hand on the pole, reaching out over the side to the north completely outstretched, turn the little screw while hoping not to drop the allen wrench and etc. etc.  =D> . Or take the whole pole assembly apart while perched up there with tired shaky legs and sore butt screaming to get this over with quickly.  What a pain it the @##.   

I should try to get some of that snow off at least the lower part of the roof with a snow rake. We are expecting a mild 45-50F heavy rain event late Sunday and Sunday night. The snow will absorb much of that water before runoff begins, creating a very heavy load for the roof to bear. The steep pitch of my roof protects me somewhat, but those with more flat roofs definitely should attempt to get heavy deep snow off the roof to avoid potential structural damage.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:51:06 AM »
The roof of my house is pitched quite steeply. I just measured 16.5" of snow on the ground around my yard. There would be somewhat less than that "up on the roof" :-({|=..... I suppose if I were real careful I could climb on my belly, kind of shimmy up there and give it a tap. The ride down might be fun too! \:D/

Loosening the set screw on the wind cup shaft and repositioning the cups always worked for an extended period, even years, but eventually it has had to to done again. I believe that is the correct way to go about the fix, but reaching the anemometer which is more than 5' above the roof line is a bit dicey (and scary) (and stupid) while placing a foot on either side of the peak, holding on for dear life with one hand on the pole, reaching out over the side to the north completely outstretched, turn the little screw while hoping not to drop the allen wrench and etc. etc.  =D> . Or take the whole pole assembly apart while perched up there with tired shaky legs and sore butt screaming to get this over with quickly.  What a pain it the @##.   

I should try to get some of that snow off at least the lower part of the roof with a snow rake. We are expecting a mild 45-50F heavy rain event late Sunday and Sunday night. The snow will absorb much of that water before runoff begins, creating a very heavy load for the roof to bear. The steep pitch of my roof protects me somewhat, but those with more flat roofs definitely should attempt to get heavy deep snow off the roof to avoid potential structural damage.

Maybe you could put on a Santa suit and have the wife video you.

You could be a runner up for Americas funniest videos.  :grin:

Offline Russell797

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 11:05:40 AM »
Great news! The warm rain Sunday evening melted most of the snow on the steep part of the roof that I have to climb to reach the anemometer. This morning I did the fix, and all is back in working order.

Merry Christmas

P.S.   I wore red clothing and my beard is white.

Offline basenji9

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 11:13:48 AM »
Good job Santa Russell! I guess even Davis stations need a little tweek now and then. Look forward to getting mine soon. Supposed to be Thurs. but who knows?
Carl H - Pitman, NJ
Davis Vantage Pro2

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
    • http://www.wmiler.org/
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »
You could always layout a load of $$$'s and buy one of these:
Vaisala WMT50 Ultrasonic Wind Sensor $980
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 01:54:00 PM by wmiler »