Author Topic: Davis 6250 Vantage Vue linking to computer  (Read 34521 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Davis 6250 Vantage Vue linking to computer
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »
Hygro is pretty important, even indoors.  Escpecially since I would put one 2nd level, main level, and basement.  Basement is really where I would want to track humidity more closely.  Might even have one in the garage.

No such thing as too small.  What are your thoughts on LCD display, I know that complicates things, but that is one advantage of the OS sesnor.  For example my pool one, I (or the wife/kids) can just have a glance and know what the temp is. Rather than going inside and looking on WD or my site.  Same for room ones....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
They could add SD card support to the console to log data for a couple of bucks. 2 gig SD cards are like 5 bucks now.  How many zillion years of weather data is that??  Logger?  I don't need no proprietary logger.  :)

While an SD card would be a good idea, they are not a totally reliable storage medium. I have had, for some unkown reason lost data on an SD card. Mind you, a static charge will wipe them.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2010, 11:17:27 PM »
Thanks but at 30 bucks per piece the cost goes up exponentially.  I think a temp only unit makes the best starting point since the console records indoor humidity.

How much does FCC Part 15 certification cost these days for the RF section?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
Thanks but at 30 bucks per piece the cost goes up exponentially.  I think a temp only unit makes the best starting point since the console records indoor humidity.

How much does FCC Part 15 certification cost these days for the RF section?

Well strictly speaking Part 15 requires no certification.  But to get an FCC ID you are looking at 5-10K for each of US and Canada:  not sure about UK etc.  Which is why I'm looking at pre-certified modules.  They run a few bucks more, but then you can possibly piggyback on the mfgs. cert.

I will likely start a new thread since we seem to have drifted a bit and the OP is gone.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Andy Thompson

• Southern Minnesota Live Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Madelia and Thompson Farms
    • Southern Minnesota Live Weather
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Well everyone, I have a serial card coming in the mail. Now I have the find the Davis serial data logger. Anyone know where I can find that really cheaply priced??? Also, what are all of the items that I need to connect it to my serial port on my computer? I already have the newest version of WeatherLink, along with VWS, VVP, VP Live and Cumulus.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
www.somnwx.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2011, 06:29:10 PM »
Well everyone, I have a serial card coming in the mail. Now I have the find the Davis serial data logger. Anyone know where I can find that really cheaply priced??? Also, what are all of the items that I need to connect it to my serial port on my computer? I already have the newest version of WeatherLink, along with VWS, VVP, VP Live and Cumulus.

The serial logger usually comes with the correct cable, plug, etc.  And it looks like somebody offered a trade in the other topic you posted today with the same question. 

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
Anybody who has an interest in this thread will want to look here for a DIY interface to the console without having to buy the Davis Weatherlink software and datalogger.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=10315.0

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
Not to minimize your accomplishments, DeKay - because you are doing a great job.

.... without having to buy the Davis Weatherlink software and datalogger.

...but with having to build some hardware from parts, provide a way to archive continual data, and write software to function instead of WeatherLink (or other software).

Some people will want to do that, because it's easy or fun. 

anything