Author Topic: Webcam/software recommendation request  (Read 2963 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Webcam/software recommendation request
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
I know this is probably off-topic but since it involves a fixed webcam to be used to record and monitor the construction of a new building (a new 10,000 sq. ft. Food Closet), I thought the resulting answers could easily be the basis for someone to use for their own weather webcam installation. The answers may already exist but I haven't found them, so far. So, here goes...

This new building will be built adjacent to our existing food closet facility so we will be able to install the camera on the flat roof of that building. Power and wi-fi connections are already available along with 60Mbps Internet. I would like to purchase a weather-proof camera that has 1080P resolution and can stream. We already have a web domain and website. It would be ideal if we had a means to capture the entire video stream day and night as well as have the ability to create both short-term (daily) and long-term (however long it takes to build the building) time lapses of the images.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! And of course, since this would be for a non-profit organization (501(c)(3), costs will be a factor when selecting a suitable solution.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline jas340

• Lone Pine Ranch  Horseshoe Bend, Idaho  USA
Re: Webcam/software recommendation request
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
IPTimelapse software is what I recommend. I own and use it. It will fit your needs perfectly: https://iptimelapse.com/  There are many fine cameras out there that will fit your needs. I use Reolink RLC-410 cameras and am very pleased with the performance. They are however POE (power over ethernet) so they need an Ethernet cable run to them.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:53:05 PM by jas340 »

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:09 PM »
Second the IPTimelapse....  I have been using it for a long time in multiple locations.  Rock solid.  It can capture single images, time lapse and stream.  Very versatile....  There are a lot of good 1080 IP cams out there to choose from.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline dwhitemv

• KORJUNCT3
    • My PWS on Weather Underground
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 01:19:36 AM »
There are many fine cameras out there that will fit your needs. I use Reolink RLC-410 cameras and am very pleased with the performance. They are however POE (power over ethernet) so they need an Ethernet cable run to them.

The WiFi versions (RLC-410WS et. al.) can run off AC power. The Reolinks use a ultra wide lens, though, so expect some barrel distortion.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
Okay, I'm getting very close to making a decision on which camera and software. At the top of the list is the Reolink RLC-410WS and IPTimelapse.

My main problem is trying to figure out how to set up the camera and software for it. The issue is that the camera will be located on the roof of a building that has power and wi-fi available. However, there will be no on-site computers that are usable 24/7. So, can I somehow setup the on-site camera on the wi-fi router and then connect to and control it remotely from my home computer which is on 24/7? I want to be able to stream the video and make timelapse movies so the public can view them by connecting to my website and/or the website for our local food closet.

The goal for this camera is to get it setup to monitor the construction of our new food closet in Gardnerville, Nevada. So, can I use the above camera and software to do this or, do I need to do something else?
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 11:56:29 AM »
Sure. I've run several cams this way.

You need access to the building's router, and then port forward an outside non-standard port like 2345 to port 80 on the camera's IP address. The camera needs a static IP address on the local network, and the router needs either a static IP address on the public network, or set up of a dynamic DNS server. 

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
Hi Don,
I had a similar situation a few years ago.  I was going to time lapse a remodel of one of our stores.  Here is what I found....  Just because there is wifi in the building does not mean that you will have wifi on the roof.  Check that very carefully before you get too far.  I was assured by our IT staff that there would be plenty of signal on the roof....  Not so.  It was unusable.  I ended up installing a wireless bridge: https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Ultra5-100Mbps-Wireless-Bridge/dp/B004RSHLGW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521822893&sr=8-2&keywords=EZ-bridge  This allowed me to access the cam from a long distance away where I had access to an Ethernet connection.  I made a small enclosure for the cam and a micro PC.  I could access the micro PC from anywhere.  I added a long extension cord and this allowed me to move the whole enclosure 3 times to different rooftops.  All I needed was power for the extension cord.  The wireless bridge was fast and rock solid.  I was using IPTImelapse software as well.  It all worked great.....  Of course, I was working with our company's funds....  ;)

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
Blue Iris is very powerful and stable and works with most IP cameras. It can make a time lapse video periodic  mode and specify how often to record.

I use IpTimelapse also because of its ability to grab images directly from http: web address but prefer BI for locally connected cameras as it also works as security camera software and has ability to upload motion detected images to safe secure server.
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »
Well, I am the so-called IT guy and have full access to all of our computers and router. The router is one that was supplied by Charter and has a cable-modem that it is connected to. I don't remember the brand at the moment. The building is a single-story with a flat roof and the router sits literally directly under the location I want to place the camera. So, I doubt there will be any connection issues. The roof is wood and asphalt. No metal at all.

As far as setting everything up, I'll have to learn how to do that, but given the knowledge on this forum and what is available on the internet, I shouldn't have any problem making it happen. I also have Teamviewer set up on all of our computers so I should have easy access to the router from home too.

And, once the new building construction is finished, I am planning to move the camera to my home where I can set it up there. That wouldn't happen until late December 2018 or early 2019.

Offline lstrip

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »
does anyone know if this webcam reolink rlc-410ws can be live streamed and embedded into a webpage?
thanks
larry

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
does anyone know if this webcam reolink rlc-410ws can be live streamed and embedded into a webpage?
thanks
larry

I hope so, as that is one of the things I want to be able to do with whatever webcam I decide to get. I'm getting closer to buying the rlc-410ws.

anything