Author Topic: Looking for suggestions on weather station  (Read 3501 times)

Offline KB2MFS

Looking for suggestions on weather station
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
I would like to install a weather station here at the house and also transmit the information via RF to the Ham radio APRS network.  We live far enough out that we don't have access to a constant internet  connection other than our cell phones.  This is the reason I will need to connect to the APRS system via RF.  I have read plenty of posts on here regarding the Davis systems but they are a bit outside what I had hoped to spend.  The displays also don't look as appealing as some of the others.  So, a few questions....

What stations can be used via an RF connection to the APRS system?
What are the feelings about the Acurite systems with a color display?

Thanks for the help.
KB2MFS

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Looking for suggestions on weather station
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:51:35 PM »
Nothing wrong with an Acurite station, but the colour disply is not what you would expect.  Or maybe you would for $100.  And had you used the SEARCH function on this forum you would find such threads as http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=26490.0  There are many, many options for link to APRS depending on your skill and pocketbook.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline KB2MFS

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 09:05:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bushman.  Actually I did search the topic before posting and read the exact link you cited.  Maybe my search skills need some work but the only thing I kept finding is connecting the station to the APRS network via the internet.  This is my problem.  I don't have access to a constant internet connection unless I'm home with my phone.  I need to connect via an RF link and am unsure of what hardware will work or will not work.  I was hoping someone else had already conquered this issue.

I will keep searching but thanks.........

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bushman.  Actually I did search the topic before posting and read the exact link you cited.  Maybe my search skills need some work but the only thing I kept finding is connecting the station to the APRS network via the internet.  This is my problem.  I don't have access to a constant internet connection unless I'm home with my phone.  I need to connect via an RF link and am unsure of what hardware will work or will not work.  I was hoping someone else had already conquered this issue.

I will keep searching but thanks.........

You are correct.  I've seen little here about setting up a "true" APRS system with amateur radio.  It would be nice to see someone write a tutorial on the subject.

One strategy I'd suggest is to look at weather software packages first to see if you can find one that does APRS via a TNC and also runs on the OS you prefer, then select weather station hardware that is supported by that package.

Or you could just wing it.  It shouldn't be too hard to make a package like weewx output a formatted file that another process could read and feed to your TNC.

As for Acurite hardware specifically, it would work just fine, but it might limit your software options.  Weewx would be one.  Weather Display might be another.  I think WD used to be able to output directly to a TNC through a com port, but it went through a re-write not too long ago.  I'm not sure what its feature set is now.

K5GDN

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 10:09:45 PM »
I just took a look at http://www.weather-display.com/.

It says: "APRS output (internet and direct com port as well)", so it sounds like it should work with a TNC.

Offline KB2MFS

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 11:02:56 PM »
Thanks for the info nincehelser.  This may work.  Once I decide for sure on hardware and get it all working I will report back what I ended up using.

Offline mwall

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 02:13:23 AM »
here is a thread from 2012 that describes this very problem:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/weewx-user/ZKPcsnA0N6Y

brad wrote an APRS extension to weewx that sends data directly to serial.  that code was for weewx 1.x, and weewx is now at 3.5.  the extension would require much less code now.

if you decide to go the linux/weewx route, i'm sure there are some weewx aprs users who can help you.

m

Offline KB2MFS

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 07:06:56 AM »
Thanks mwall.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 08:51:13 AM »
I would like to install a weather station here at the house and also transmit the information via RF to the Ham radio APRS network.  We live far enough out that we don't have access to a constant internet  connection other than our cell phones.  This is the reason I will need to connect to the APRS system via RF.  I have read plenty of posts on here regarding the Davis systems but they are a bit outside what I had hoped to spend.  The displays also don't look as appealing as some of the others.  So, a few questions....

What stations can be used via an RF connection to the APRS system?
What are the feelings about the Acurite systems with a color display?

Thanks for the help.
KB2MFS

I am using a Wx3in1 with my Davis station. I bought mine from Ham Radio Outlet. I am using a Weather Envoy to feed the Wx3in1. You don't need a TNC or the "APRS" dongle with the Davis in order for it to work. I am uploading via APRS-IS all the time at CWOP. Unfortunately, I am not within range of any digipeaters that I can send via RF (unless VHF conditions are unusually good).
I looked up your callsign on QRZ.com and it looks like you are within range of digipeaters, unlike myself.

Here are the supported WX systems:

2.9. Weather station support
WX3in1 Plus 2.0 allows you to receive weather information from weather stations
using RS-232 cable. Data is then encoded into the APRS packet and may be sent to
APRS/APRS-IS network at specified intervals.
Supported weather stations:
• LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2300,
• LaCrosse/Technoline WS-2350,
• Peet Bros Ultimeter 100,
• Peet Bros Ultimeter 800,
• Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000,
• Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100,
• Davis Vantage Pro (with RS232 datalogger),
• Davis Vantage Pro2 (with RS232 datalogger),
• Davis Vantage Pro Plus (with RS232 datalogger),
• Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (with RS232 datalogger)

I really like this little box and it was very easy to set up and get working.

Greg H. KE8DAF

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 06:37:42 PM »
I can vouch for Weather Display's ability to control a TNC. I've done it. You would need a 2 meter radio and a TNC and the cable to connect them. Also a free serial port on the PC running Weather Display and a cable to connect that to the TNC. Weather Display sends a text file to the TNC that controls the PTT and sends the APRS weather formatted data file.

I use a KPC-3+ Packet Communicator. One little gotcha. If WD via the TNC doesn't seem to be controlling the radio (keying it), you will need to connect to the TNC with a terminal program and enter CONVERS (I think) to enter converse mode. Seems like I had to do that after a reboot of the TNC.

I just took a look at http://www.weather-display.com/.

It says: "APRS output (internet and direct com port as well)", so it sounds like it should work with a TNC.