Author Topic: Nearby Weather Stations incomplete and missing mine  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
Nearby Weather Stations incomplete and missing mine
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
Ever since WU was revamped the Nearby Weather Stations feature only shows a small number of stations and doesn't include mine. This makes a comparison quite difficult.

Does anyone know what criteria is used when displaying these stations and why my own is missing?

Emails to support have gone unanswered. Not very good really.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Nearby Weather Stations incomplete and missing mine
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 07:34:30 AM »
I have the exact same experience, tried to contact WU about 3 times because some translations in their Czech version are totally wrong, or even misleading... never any reply nor correction

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 07:41:46 AM »
I don't believe this. Having loaded my WU page a second time I can now see my own station. Can't recall seeing it previously.

There appears to be a problem with the data loading. Not sure if it's software dependent. I use Firefox v46.0.1

Doesn't WU have a Facebook page they can be contacted on?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »
They never reply, I tried FB, email and the direct contact form...

and I wrote about it here in detail as well, for example, they have the term "rapid fire" translated as "rapid fire", but the problem is that in Czech, the translation literally means "extensive forest fire" and has no other meaning. And this expression is written next to the station when it has the rapid fire feature enabled... so you can imagine how confusing this can be because in the Czech localization, some stations have "extensive fire" next to them.... looked very funny especially in the winter, when the temp right next to it was below freezing point, but it is obviously not so obvious during the summer...

never got any reply, I even offered them I will help them with the translation for free (because half of the stuff is still in English), no response, by any communication channel

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »
Jackym,

Why don't you write to the support people here.Just keep doing it until you get a response. http://help.wunderground.com/#request

No point posting on my thread because WU staff don't read these pages.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 09:30:12 AM »
Ray, this is exactly what I was referring to in my previous posts - I tried to contact them at least three times via their email, via their online feedback form and via Facebook.... I guess they are not interested...

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 11:05:27 AM »
Jachym,

There may be good reasons they're unable to communicate. It's unlike them to ignore messages from people who supply them with all the data that justifies their existence.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:02:40 PM »
I dont know, Im just saying the facts.

I tried to contact them several times, via several communication channels, offering help and also letting them know about these serious issues on the web. Whatever the reasons for ignoring me are, the conclusion is, nothing has changed and there is not much else I can do.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
I've sent off an email to John Celenza at WU regarding the issues raised here.. hopefully he'll work the WU end, and I'll repost his reply(s) here.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »
Thanks Ken, much appreciated.  =D>

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
Had the following exchange with John Celenza .. hopefully, there will be progress made :)

Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 09:52:44 -0700

Hi Ken,

Absolutely, will do right now.

Thanks!
John

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Ken True wrote:

Hi John,

Hope all is well with you...

There is a thread on WXForum.net at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29525.0 which has some lamentations about the total lack of response from WU (in various channels) regarding two different issues.  Would you mind having someone check the thread and then follow up on the issues raised?

Thanks!

--

Best regards,
    Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Dr__Bob

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 02:07:09 PM »
I've also seen weird things where my station disappears off the map.  The circle is there showing where my station *should* be, but nothing else.  At the same time, the page will say things like "Station reported 16 minutes ago."  But if if look further down at the history graphs, I see that they *are* updating, with entries more recent than "16 minutes ago".  After some time (sometimes hours later), things are back to normal, with my station showing up on the map, and report times just seconds ago. 

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 02:10:52 PM »
Thanks Ken,
this is what I was referring to:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=28084.msg282076#msg282076

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 02:12:38 PM »
Thanks Jachym,  hopefully they'll follow that thread too and contact you :)

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 02:57:53 PM »
I e mailed them about the small number of nearby weather stations listed and their response was "use the arrow icon in the upper right hand corner to add more stations"....which it doesn't do, so that bit of advice is wrong. I also mentioned about the map of stations on the dashboard, it always shows temp and direction...clicking on the icon symbol to change whats shown, does nothing....they replied that this is a known problem with "internet explorer". I also told them to bring back the feedback section so we can see if others are having similar problems, then we wouldn't have to contact support for everything.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:29:07 PM by catdon »
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 04:10:58 PM »
Don,

Sounds like they're getting confused about adding a favourite location at the top of the screen and Nearby Weather Stations that doesn't seem to have any option for adding / removing stations.

I also fail to understand the row of dots and the left / right arrow on the extreme right and on the same level as Nearby Weather Stations. The arrows are greyed out and the dots don't seem to indicate anything.

And finally, there are sort options for the columns but the way the wind is displayed sorting it doesn't make sense as it's sorted by direction rather than strength.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 05:39:52 PM »
Don,

Sounds like they're getting confused about adding a favourite location at the top of the screen and Nearby Weather Stations that doesn't seem to have any option for adding / removing stations.

I also fail to understand the row of dots and the left / right arrow on the extreme right and on the same level as Nearby Weather Stations. The arrows are greyed out and the dots don't seem to indicate anything.

And finally, there are sort options for the columns but the way the wind is displayed sorting it doesn't make sense as it's sorted by direction rather than strength.
Yeah I don't think they understood my question...glad to see that others are complaining also...many annoying little problems over there :???:
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline Wunderground Support

• Weather Underground
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 02:48:18 PM »
Hey all,

William at Wunderground here. I'm sorry that several of you have not received responses to your support requests. While we answer thousands of emails every month, we're a small company and it can be challenging to support millions of users around the world. This isn't a unique problem—most internet and app companies have very high customer-to-employee ratios. Many abandon direct support altogether, relying entirely on FAQ and help articles. While we have no intention of doing that, we can't respond to every request. We try our best to find and prioritize issues based on severity and number of users affected. Sometimes inquiries don't receive the attention they deserve and I apologize for that!

Our development team is currently knee-deep in backend changes intended to modernize our systems. As many of you know, we were the world's first weather website. While we're very proud of that, it means we have technical debt from two decades of site fixes and patches. The updates are going along very well but I suspect that our developer resources for fixing other bugs will be pretty thin for several more months.

In the meantime, if you include William in the subject field, it's much more likely that I'll see it and reply back.

Jáchym—I'll see what I can do about the translation on Tuesday.

Ray Proudfoot—I can't find any emails from you since 2015 but all I could do was search by "Ray Proudfoot". Please write in again from the account associated with your PWS and include William in the title. I'll have to look at the specific station to see what's going on.

Sincerely,
William
Wunderground Support

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »
Wow Ken, you sure have some pull.
That's impressive. =D>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 05:08:04 PM »
Yes impressive.  I must say though that in any contact I have sent to WU over the past years I've always received a response.  I guess mine have been easier ;)

Paul