Author Topic: Trying to connect my bridge to ethernet  (Read 435 times)

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
Trying to connect my bridge to ethernet
« on: May 21, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »
I am trying to move from wireless connection to ethernet connection for my Ambient WeatherBridge, but I am running into issues. My Netgear Orbi ethernet ports are full so I have my old airport extreme setup to join the Orbi. My bridge is then connected via ethernet to my Airport Express. Unfortunately, my bridge is blinking rapidly and cannot connect to the network for whatever reason. I tried resetting it and unplugging/plugging it back in, but continues to blink rapidly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? The manual doesn't really have any troubleshooting suggestions.
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
Re: Trying to connect my bridge to ethernet
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »
What do you mean by "join the orbi"? Are you trying to connect the Express wirelessly or by an Ethernet cable?

A picture would be helpful, if possible.

Also, what vintage is the Express? Some are no longer manageable by the current Airport Utility, but there are ways around that.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:22:10 PM »
The Airport Extreme (4th Generation 2009) can join my WiFi network that is setup by my Netgear Orbi. It is connected wirelessly as I don't have anymore ethernet ports available on my Orbi.   I couldn't get my bridge to connect to the network using that method, so I setup my Airport Express to the WiFi and connected the ethernet from my bridge to the Express. For some reason that is working flawlessly. I can access my meteobridge panel and it is uploading to my weather networks.

Now that I think about it, there probably isn't any benefits to doing this method instead of connecting it to just WiFi.
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:08:28 PM »
The Airport Extreme (4th Generation 2009) can join my WiFi network that is setup by my Netgear Orbi. It is connected wirelessly as I don't have anymore ethernet ports available on my Orbi.   I couldn't get my bridge to connect to the network using that method, so I setup my Airport Express to the WiFi and connected the ethernet from my bridge to the Express. For some reason that is working flawlessly. I can access my meteobridge panel and it is uploading to my weather networks.

OK, cool, you got past the blinky light thing then.

Now that I think about it, there probably isn't any benefits to doing this method instead of connecting it to just WiFi.

I took it from your original message that you couldn't get the WeatherBridge to connect via WiFi. Is that still the case? Using the Express is an OK workaround but the WB should be able to connect directly - and you are right that if it can, introducing the Express into the picture has no value-add.

I don't use the WiFi on mine, but I believe it is 2.4GHz only. See this thread about issues w/ connecting 2.4-only devices to an Orbi (honestly, doesn't make sense to me as WB should not see any 5G networks, but apparently the problems are real).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Using-devices-that-require-2-4ghz-on-Orbi/td-p/1372273

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
Also meant to point out - you can get a 5-port Ethernet switch for under $20US which would then allow you to connect wired, which I highly recommend for anything one isn't constantly picking up and moving around.

And you'd have three ports left over for other things.  :grin:

anything