Author Topic: Adding extension to existing pole  (Read 1576 times)

Offline WBDubya

Adding extension to existing pole
« on: March 10, 2018, 12:08:55 PM »
Several years ago I mounted a pole for my weather station (anchored by concrete) in the ground. Wife decided she wanted a tree planted close by. Fast forward a couple of years and now the tree is blocking the station. What’s the easiest way to add an extension?  A pole hinge would be awesome for servicing when needed but I’m having trouble locating something suitable. Diameter of the pole is 1.75”.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Adding extension to existing pole
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 03:54:32 PM »
I used one of these "Omni Tilt" tilt bases from DX Engineering. The kit isn't exactly cheap at $119.85, but it is well made and did what I wanted for being able to tilt over and service my vertical Ham antenna. I also got the optional large wing nuts to go along with it.

Here is the link to the product page on DX Engineering: https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/dxe-omnitilt-2p_sn_xl.jpg?rep=False
The wing nuts are off to the right on that page under "Related Products". Ignore the square ground plate in the photo. This is meant for antenna radials, you wouldn't need that.

You can kind of see this tilt base on my antenna. It is just above where the tripod legs converge.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WBDubya

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »
Thanks. I believe this may work!  It is more than I want to spend, but the convenience is probably worth it.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
I saw another post of yours that you might have already extended the mast.
I don't know if you went ahead with the tilt base, but I was going through the MFJ catalog and found their version for a lot less. ($79.95)
Here is the link for that product: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1903

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:29:10 PM »
These designs look like something that can be slapped together for under ten bucks if you raid a scrap metal bin.  Just saying.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol: