Author Topic: WeatherLink/Weather Underground connection  (Read 7210 times)

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
WeatherLink/Weather Underground connection
« on: February 22, 2018, 12:38:14 PM »
At this point I have successfully installed the VP2 and Console, the WeatherLink 6.0.3 software, the USB data logger and appear to have connected to the WeatherUnderground.  However, there is no data showing in the Weather Underground pages.  How often does WeatherLink.com send data?  Can we adjust that?  I assume the local software can be used as well to send out the data, not WeatherLink.com.  How do I set that up?

I can't find a manual or I would have started there...
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: WeatherLink/Weather Underground connection
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
Go to the WL website ( www.weatherlink.com ) and complete the Account application process by filling-in the Upload information.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:48:06 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 12:49:10 PM »
Ok, I have done that and my local station shows data, but the 10 day forecast is still blank for each day.  I 'll have to give it time.

Again, how often does WeatherLink.com send data out to Weather Underground (or any other weather service such as CWOP).  Are we able to adjust it?  If I get an expansion module for the WeatherLink software running on my laptop, how often can I send updates?  I'd like my services to be as close to real time as possible.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 03:24:33 PM »
WL sends updates to WU at 15 minute interval.

WL accepts data at just about any input, but ONLY uploads data to other sites at 15 minute intervals.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:26:36 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »
I have configured my WeatherLink Windows software with Weather Underground.  It uploads data at 2 minute intervals.  I'm a bit surprised that the historical data from the time I have started uploaded isn't displayed: see https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDNEWWI3#history and see the blanks under the radar map.  The graphs below that section appear to display all their data just fine, just not the historical info.  It's a great place to see the max wind gust for the day, for example.  Puzzled about that.

One last thing.  I assume, using an expansion module for the Weather Underground in the Weatherlink Windows software, the upload from console to laptop to internet REQUIRES the Windows software to be running all the time, right?

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
Yes, Weatherlink has to be running full time for it to upload to WU full time.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:59:02 AM »
If you want updates to WU every 2 seconds you could try Cumulus software. It's shareware.
The Weatherlink WU expansion module will do this also but as you have probably noticed Weatherlink will freeze when it's uploading data to WU, CWOP, or any other service you choose.
You'll see the spinning anemometer icon while its doing this. I always found that annoying.
Cumulus doesn't do that.
You can't use both software's at the same time but if you don't like Cumulus you could always shut it down and reopen Weatherlink.
Just another option.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:02:15 AM »
I haven't done enough research and don't know about Cumulus. Does it have a wether network like Weather Underground, Weatherlink, and others? What weather services can Cumulus push to?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »
It can send data to WU, CWOP, PWS Weather, Weatherbug, and WOW.
It doesn't have any weather network. Just software to display your weather data with several choices as to where to send that data.
Here is the website for Cumulus. http://sandaysoft.com/cumulus-1-9-4-build-1099
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 11:27:11 AM »
I'll chime in as a very satisfied Cumulus user that does everything I want, and very easy to use.  Cumulus is very reliable including for WU updating and does the Catch up if the computer or Cumulus has been shut down.  It also does WU Rapid Fire.  Others may have different wants or don't want a computer on 24/7 so there are several other options for them.

I shut down Cumulus on the 15th and last day of each month to run Weatherlink so that I can maintain the Weatherlink data as well.  My 10 min datalogger interval setting holds 17 days of data so that works well.

Enjoy,
Paul
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 08:42:55 PM by PaulMy »

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 06:38:29 PM »
Well, I guess that's how I'll be sending part of Sunday!  Thanks for the feedback...

anything