Author Topic: Snow on the 5 in 1  (Read 1087 times)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
Snow on the 5 in 1
« on: January 18, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
This is my first winter with the 5 in 1. EVERYTIME it snows I must trudge out 300' to knock the snow of the solar panels or else temps in the sun spike by 10 degrees above ambient. Additionally, I get zero wind speed readings due to snow buildup blocking the cups.

Is the darker color on the case of the Atlas 7/8 (when buried under snow) really going to allow the snow to melt in a timely fashion? I can't really imagine how this could be successful.

I would never buy an all in one unit again (by any company).

Acurite should have come out with the Atlas Elite which would have gone a long way to alleviate these serious problems.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: Snow on the 5 in 1
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
I have the same issue. Ironically, in CT, the snow has been light(in depth)...or when heavy, it's been blowing around really good and never sticks to the 5 in 1. So it hasn't been an issue with that station. But in VT, it's more of an issue. Even with being mounted on a shed, it's somewhat sheltered due to the topography of our yard. We need a pretty good gust to clear things off after it snows. I haven't had a wind reading at that location since early yesterday.

My highly nontechnical way of cleaning it? Using an old tiki torch whilst standing on a hose box. Hey, it works.  :lol:
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »
I posted on this problem when the 5in1 first came out.  Like you guys we get lots of snow in Michigan.  All in one not a good design when the snow builds up on the unit and stops the cups.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:42 PM »
It's not bad when it's lower to the ground a guy can clean it off i had this happen a week ago had to clean off the panels but when up in the air you need to wait for mother nature, just hope for a windy day to blow it off.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »

Acurite should have come out with the Atlas Elite which would have gone a long way to alleviate these serious problems.

The anemometer and wind vane are detachable from the Atlas and can be extended to something like 30 feet with an optional kit.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »

The anemometer and wind vane are detachable from the Atlas and can be extended to something like 30 feet with an optional kit.

That's a big plus for keeping the wind speed data flowing. There's still the issue of 10F degree temp spikes due to the unpowered fan.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I knocked the snow off around 12:40 p.m. est.   Scroll ------->

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »
That's a big plus for keeping the wind speed data flowing. There's still the issue of 10F degree temp spikes due to the unpowered fan.

The Atlas solar panels are essentially vertical with no horizontal ledges where snow can build up and block them like the 5n1.