Author Topic: Davis Vantage Vue on the roof?  (Read 2031 times)

Offline mrmattis

• www.overskyet.com
Davis Vantage Vue on the roof?
« on: October 30, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
I have placed my Vantage Vue in front of my house, and the height is ok for temp/humidity etc. The wind readings are way off, because of the surrounding buildings.

If I mount this on the roof, I guess it will be about 6m from ground to the Vantage Vue.
How much will this influence the rest of the readings, and what would you prefer for best "overall performance"?

Please take a look at the picture.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ITYSVR6#history

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Davis Vantage Vue on the roof?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
... what would you prefer for best "overall performance"?

The question should be - would you prefer accurate temp/humidity?  Or more accurate wind?

I would pick accurate temp/humidity.  And also, if I lived in Norway, I might consider the effect of snow accumulation......

Offline mrmattis

• www.overskyet.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 12:48:47 PM »
I guess it all depends on how much negative effect a roof placement has got on the readings. Is it just minor effect, or is it way off, except for the wind?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 01:20:11 PM »
I guess it all depends on how much negative effect a roof placement has got on the readings. Is it just minor effect, or is it way off, except for the wind?

What would you consider a "minor effect" on temperature?  What would you consider a "minor effect" on outside humidity?

What is the roof material?  How far above the roof?  Mounted near the edge or near the middle?  Direction of prevailing wind?

[Note that a building will have an effect on wind to as much as 6 meters above the roof]

Offline mrmattis

• www.overskyet.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »
The roof is made of black asphalt shingle, and the pole would be about 1,3m over the roof, near the edge. The direction of prevailing wind is north.

I think the best solution would be talking to the nearby farmer. He has got some open fields nearby....

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
That roof would cause the "outside temperature" to be increased during any sunny days.

And the wind direction and velocity would not be the same as they would be in "free space at 6 meters".

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »
The roof is made of black asphalt shingle
I think the best solution would be talking to the nearby farmer. He has got some open fields nearby....
You couldn't ask for a worse roof to mount the Vue above. Let alone the daytime error, even after the sun has set that asphalt will radiate heat for hours.
I'd talk to ole' McDonald if I were you. ;)

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
I'll chime in here because I just got done with a roof fiasco.
I mounted mine about 4 feet above the roof, and still got temperatures that were affected by the shingles.

Also to keep in mind, the roof and soffit hold in heat from the day, then release it at night, so your readings will be wrong at night too.
The only reason I did it is because I saw everyone else doing it, and I was fighting a DP problem with CWOP. It went right back down to a 10 ft pole in the lawn.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline dcriner

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »
It needs to be moved much farther away from the building, and higher above ground level.
Doug

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:10:48 PM »
It needs to be moved much farther away from the building, and higher above ground level.

If the Vue is mounted higher above the ground, then the temperature and humidity measurements will not be "correct".

But, of course, if it is not mounted at about 6 meters above the ground, the wind measurements will not be "correct".

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 07:13:10 PM »
WMO, temp between 1.25-2.0 meters, wind 10 meters.