Author Topic: Console UPS power backup  (Read 1078 times)

Offline m-a-r-k

Console UPS power backup
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
Hi, first post!
We have frequent power cuts and dropsouts here in the Highlands.
A significant problem for me was that the console of the WS-1001 clones does not use batteries, so that a power cut creates gaps in the data.

An external rechargeable battery is the solution. It needs the following capabilities:
1 It doesn't have to be switched on to work.
2 It has the right voltage for the console - 5V at 1A.
3 It has enough capacity for several hours.
4 It has passthrough charging, that is, it can power a device and charge itself at the same time. Beware! Not all batteries can do this and this is the hardest part to satisfy.
5 It has to recharge faster than its output to the console, in other words we need to charge it at greater than 1A, so we need a 1.5-2A charger.

Research lead to the three items below, all quality products and well priced.
I've been running this setup for months and it has survived many power cuts keeping the console running throughout.

Portable Charger RAVPower 16750mAh Power Bank External Battery Pack with Most Powerful 4.5A Output and iSmart Technology
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OJXVDAU

Anker USB Charger 24W 2-Port USB Wall Charger and PowerIQ Technology
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016LPTBO8

CY USB 2.0 Male to Right Angled 90 Degree 3.5mm 1.35mm DC Power Plug Barrel 5v Cable 80cm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YA1J4XO

Plug the Anker charger into the mains socket.
Plug USB lead into a socket on the Anker USB charger and the other end into the 5V In socket on the battery.
Plug CY USB lead 3.5mm plug into the console and the other end into 2.1A socket on the battery.
I managed to velcro the battery onto the console stand and put the excess wiring behind the stand.

Hope this helps others in my situation.
WU ID: ITAIN5
Aercus WeatherRanger - WS-1001 Clone

Offline railrode1

Re: Console UPS power backup
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
I soldered a usb connector to my power cord and use a 12v usb charger connected to my solar batteries. Never looses power now. Could also use a 12v SLA battery with it's charger/maintainer , plugged in the wall. Oh, further reading i see that's what you've done.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 10:06:41 PM by railrode1 »
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »
The best arrangement where 5V supply is required is a 12/5 volt convertor powered from a 12 volt battery supply with or w/o LVD depending on the expected length of outage and battery size. You then have a lot more choice re battery capacity and chemistry.

Even though the plug packs might be rated to supply 5v / 1 amp there will generally be a lot of surplus in the supply hence a 1.5-2A charger may not be required but in any case doesn't hurt to pull the battery up quicker, main requirement however is something smart enough to simply maintain the battery.       

Offline timwebb2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »
here is something I use, see attached photo, it works for me.
Its a power bank with a usb to mini plug (with 2, 2.5 and 3 mm plug) as I was not sure which size plug would fit the console.
Will run for hours if charged up and display turned off.
I use it to take around the house with me and it saves being powered via a mains plug.

Offline m-a-r-k

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
Yes, that's similar to mine, except my battery is connected to a charger to keep it topped up. But yes, I could disconnect from that charger and move the console around to my PC for instance.
WU ID: ITAIN5
Aercus WeatherRanger - WS-1001 Clone

anything