Author Topic: Looking at a Davis 6152  (Read 1622 times)

Offline DJFaninTN

Looking at a Davis 6152
« on: July 21, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »
Total newbie here with zero experience. I have been looking at a PWS for a while and have decided I wanted to go with a Davis Vantage Pro 2. The ole saying you get what you pay for is a lesson I have learned over the years and it appears that is the case here.

Here is what I am wanting out of my PWS. Temps, Rain Fall, Humidity, Wind. We live about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico so we have that coastal breeze here. The yard is fairly open so placement is not going to be a big deal.

The model I am looking at is the 6152. I had considered the 6153 (comes with FARS) but after emailing Ryan over at Scaled Instruments he was saying since we have that coastal breeze that the 6153 may be overkill here and could produce temps that might not be accurate.

Here is my million dollar ? What are the Davis Sensor Suites like 6322, 6323, 6327 & 6328? From what I am gathering is it is more like an all in one uint where you cannot separate the components if you wanted. Is that correct?

Last ?. I do have a PC sitting in the office but rarely use it. 99% of what I do is on a MacBook Pro Laptop from Apple and go wireless throughout the house. I just like things that work so that is why I went Apple years ago. Since that PC is sitting there in the office, I guess the best thing to do is to hook directly into the PC via the console. Since we have fiber optic here at the house would it be better to use the 6555 Weatherlink Ethernet or just go with the 6510USB Weatherlink USB Port?  I am not exactly sure I understand what the 6555 does.

Besides posting to WU I am not sure where else I would post my info once up and running.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Looking at a Davis 6152
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
Basically the 6152/6153 is a "complete" system that being a console & ISS where as the 6322/6323/6327 & 6328 is the ISS part only of a complete system, that is no console.

Quite a few options with what you want a logger to do but I would go 6555 or serial logger over the USB logger. The 6555 basically will automatically upload to WeatherLink.com with no on going costs, data will be viewable from any computer as well as downloadable but lots of other options
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:47:51 PM by Mattk »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:47:07 PM »
The model I am looking at is the 6152. I had considered the 6153 (comes with FARS) but after emailing Ryan over at Scaled Instruments he was saying since we have that coastal breeze that the 6153 may be overkill here and could produce temps that might not be accurate.

Here is my million dollar ? What are the Davis Sensor Suites like 6322, 6323, 6327 & 6328? From what I am gathering is it is more like an all in one uint where you cannot separate the components if you wanted. Is that correct?
Even coastal areas can have calm or little wind at times, this is where FARS plays it's roll. All depends on what you want from your ISS, accurate temp/humidity 24/7 or accurate when the wind blows.
As far as splitting, the the VP2 is modular and can be separated apart for more proper placement of your anemometer, whereas the Vue is all in one, a compromise.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »

Odd statement on artificial readings? Sorry just don't get that at all.
What can give artificial low readings is heavily vegetated area when it's not natural or placement of shield under a large shade tree would be artificial cooling. But a fan doesn't do any artificially cooling, it is what is is. Stick with the FARS and don't look back.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »

Same. I'm betting on a misunderstanding.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:57:04 PM »

Same. I'm betting on a misunderstanding.

So am I, especially since he's on the Gulf Coast in the deep south. FARS is needed more than it's not down here, for sure.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline DJFaninTN

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:34 PM »
maybe I am the one reading it wrong then.

"Actually since you live in a coastal region and will probably almost always have movement of air, then the aspiration may not be all that important.  It is when the the air is dead still that the air can heat up inside the shield and cause false temperatures. No ACTIVE aspiration means  less maintenance."

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:06 PM »

Just interpreted wrong..   :lol:
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:54:50 PM »
maybe I am the one reading it wrong then.

"Actually since you live in a coastal region and will probably almost always have movement of air, then the aspiration may not be all that important.  It is when the the air is dead still that the air can heat up inside the shield and cause false temperatures. No ACTIVE aspiration means  less maintenance."
As I've stated, what's important to you. Personally, I could live on the windiest place on earth and I'd still have a fan.

Offline danb35

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 08:18:26 AM »
As to the "send your data to the web" question, there are a few options:
  • Davis WeatherLink IP.  Most expensive, but plug it into your console, then into your network.  Set up with your account information and you're pretty much online.
  • Otherwise, some combination of USB cable and software on some kind of computer.  Cable options:
    • Davis WeatherLink USB cable/data logger.  Overpriced.
    • @BelfryBoy's clone of the Davis cable.  Still considerably more expensive than a USB cable should need to be, but Davis deliberately makes it hard to hook up a computer to the console.
  • Computer/software options:
    • Your PC, running one of many possible software packages.  If you buy the Davis USB cable, it will come with their Weatherlink software; reviews on that don't seem to be very good.  Cumulus is one that seems to get good reviews; Weather Display is another.
    • Meteobridge, running on a small, inexpensive, low-power router.  Meteobridge is custom firmware that's installed in place of the router's stock firmware, and will read the data from your console and upload it pretty much wherever you want.
    • A Raspberry Pi running WeeWX.  The Raspberry Pi is a small, inexpensive, low-power computer that typically runs Linux (though other operating systems are available).  WeeWX is software that will read the data from your console and do many things with it, including uploading it pretty much wherever you want.

The most "plug-and-play" option would be the Weatherlink IP.  Not quite as plug-and-play, but quite a bit less expensive and more flexible, would probably be the Meteobridge ($66 for BelfryBoy's cable, shipped; $20 or so for the used router to install the Meteobridge firmware on, about $75 for Meteobridge).