Author Topic: R M Young 26800 Translator: Is anyone using one for a weather station hookup?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I recently got an R M Young 28600 translator which works and I'm hoping to hook up some sensors and do a little programming for it.  I have had a 27600 that I have played with, but it was hard to enter programs using just the front panel keys.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with this device, and have hints or some snippets of programming to share on how to make it do what each sensor setup should be?

Thanks for any input, whatsoever, even on the 27600 since they are very close to one another in features, just a lot different port configuration.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline PRAT

Dale -

I have a 26800 that I have about 3 days of experience with so far  :grin:

I've been on the phone with RM Young couple of times getting my setup operating, and am just getting my feet wet with programming and serial output wiring.  At the moment I'm using the RMY comm software to screw up program the data translator.   

Offline PRAT

Update:  Got the 26800 set up the way I wanted it last week, and just today got it talking to WeatherView, and it's updating WU as we speak.

It is a little bit of a learning curve as far as understanding the programming instructions and getting the serial ports set up correctly, but very versatile once you get it figured out.  Let me know if I can help out.

Steve

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
That's great news.  I have been stagnated with numerous other projects and family situations that cut into my play time.

I know it is almost impossible to pull instructions out without writing them down or having the RMYoung program to talk to and program the device.  But if you happen to have code pieces that you can share, that would be wonderful for me to study.

Oh, I was going to ask earlier where, if any place in particular, you were able to come up with various devices to hook to the translator?  I have a 5103 wind monitor, a barometer, and a siphoning rain gauge, and a tipping bucket which can be adapted very easy, but things like accurate thermometer / humidity devices are scarce as hens' teeth on eBay.  Is there some other place I should be looking for affordable devices to hook up to it?

And I'm interested in a source for the terminal blocks that plug into the back of the translator.  Have you found any or needed a replacement? 

I wish there were more of these translators available.  I've only seen two on the eBay sales in the last three years and was lucky enough to see one that was sort of embedded in another piece of 'undesirable' equipment and was able to afford to buy it. 

Thanks, and congratulations on the great accomplishment.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline PRAT

Thanks!  I'm excited and a little surprised that I got it working.

I hate to admit, but I was so frustrated with the time that I had wasted trying to make other stuff work that I bought the wind/temp sensor and the translator new from RM Young.  The wind is our major concern here (60+ mph gusts just this morning), so I wanted that piece to be as bulletproof as possible. Now that that is up and running I may try to find a bargain rain gauge or solar sensor, but at the moment I'm happy with what I have. 

I'm happy to send you the instructions that I have mine programmed with, but it will probably be easier to explain if I can give you a call and kind of walk you through the first few lines.  Once you get the hang of it it's pretty straightforward.  Same with configuring Weather View although you need a special version of that program that costs a little more.

PM me your email and I'll shoot you what I've got as far as code.

Steve

P.S.  Have you've downloaded the 26800 manual and the RMY config program already?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:42:48 PM by PRAT »

anything