Author Topic: New Davis station purchase  (Read 1381 times)

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
New Davis station purchase
« on: June 06, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
It's been a long time since I've last been on the forum, but wanted to check in before I bought a new station for a client. We're going to for a Davis VP2+ wireless by the way the heads of this client are going. But between a slow work year and a new baby over the last year I've been out of the loop with pretty much all of the weather stations companies including, Davis so I'm not even sure anymore what we need to get besides the station. We're going to need to transmit it to the office which as far as I know will require the Davis transmitter links much to my chagrin after spending so much time with other companies stations and being able to do it cheaper with an Xbee solution. So if they just want it passed to something like WxUnderground and maybe have the data collected on a local server do we need the console? Or do we just need a weatherlink and and an Envoy?

They are choosing the VP2+ for the aspiration plus the added UV and Solar sensors due to it being agricultural work, plus they're looking into adding a sensor or two as needed by near the station to possibly to control irrigation in the future but that is getting a bit further ahead. If anyone has any ideas or comments about the setup it would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows of any current deals it would be appreciated as the current USD to CAD exchange is not very helpful at the moment. Thanks in advance to everyone and hope everyone is doing well!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: New Davis station purchase
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »

Davis VP2 is still a great choice and Scaled Instruments a good place to buy from what I have investigated (ask for best price quote) and possibly drop ship to USA location.  Yes the U$ exchange adds considerable to the cost and likely shipping, and HST but no better option in Canada at present that I am aware of.

An Envoy can be a bit lower cost option instead of the console and that is what I have for connecting to my weather computer.  I also have and use the console for our living area for a quick look whenever we want.

Remember you will also need to buy the Weatherlink datalogger or third party equivalent.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline geofb13

• Contributor
Re: New Davis station purchase
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
Thanks Paul! We went with Scaled Instruments for everything other than the antennas for the repeater as they would add more money to the shipping cost because of their unique sizes and the fact that I could get a similar set from a place near Ottawa for less than Davis sells the one antenna for in USD. I ended up getting some quotes from a few places and the only place that was even close to being reasonable was just a website that I stumbled upon and is selling a Pro 2 Wireless station for $700.

anything