Author Topic: TP Link firmware flash failed?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
TP Link firmware flash failed?
« on: May 10, 2017, 12:01:51 PM »
No, I'm not an extremely savvy computer person but I can do basic things.

I plugged in the TP3020 to power.  I connected it by ethernet cable to my PC.
I went to the IP address and was able to proceed through the steps.
Went to upgrade firmware page.  Pasted the meteobridge file there meteobridge-tl-mr3020-v1.4 (3).bin
When I entered that, it showed the firmware upgrading and completely fininshed 100%.
But then, when it rebooted, error, unable to connect to site.
Which vital step did I screw up?  I am now unable to communicate with the TP Link at all.  Fortunately they are not hugely expensive.
If anyone can suggest where I went wrong, appreciate it.  I don't want to ruin another one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: TP Link firmware flash failed?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »
How is it connected to your LAN?  Can you see it in the router's DHCP client list?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
It had showed as TP Link, then it disappeared.
I don't know how to find it.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »
Not there.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »
Reboot it and connect it to your router via cable.  See if it grabs an IP that way.  There is also the MB magic IP finder utility to try.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
Reboot it how?  It's nowhere to be seen.  It is plugged in via ethernet now.  How can I find it?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 01:41:48 PM »
Power cycle it

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 02:08:43 PM »
Thanks, I tried it.  No change.  Unit is powered and flashing but no one is home.
Guess I will purchase another one and try again.
I wish the instructions were more detailed and in plain language.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
The picture you posted shows wifi devices.  Are you sure you are looking at the full DHCP list on your router?  I've run them both wired and wireless and you have to get into the MB Network page to enter your wifi credentials.  You did not get that far, right?

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
The picture you posted shows wifi devices.  Are you sure you are looking at the full DHCP list on your router?  I've run them both wired and wireless and you have to get into the MB Network page to enter your wifi credentials.  You did not get that far, right?
Right, turns out, I didn't know what DHCP was or a "client list".  I had to google both. The average computer user doesn't know these things.  I am trying to log into my Verizon router, but someone has changed the password.  Sigh.
I appreciate your help.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
Got it.
Had to go on 4 day trip, but now that I am back...
My modem password was written "ADMIN" instead of "admin".  Once I discovered this mistake, logged into modem successfully.  Meteobridge was not there on the client list.  Why?  Because I had it Ethernet connected to my PC instead of my modem (ok, duh  #-o).  When I connected the TP Link to modem, there it was!  I know, made an easy thing hard.  :oops:
Now I am wondering, my modem is not in same room as my PC and desk.  If I leave the TP-Link hooked up via ethernet, the Vantage console has to go in there too, right, for the data cable.  Is it just as easy to bring the TP link back to my desk and let it communicate wirelessly with my modem so that I can keep console where I sit most of the time?

Offline merlinwx

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 11:23:33 PM »
Is it just as easy to bring the TP link back to my desk and let it communicate wirelessly with my modem so that I can keep console where I sit most of the time?

The short answer is yes.  Once you have a WLAN link established between your TP-link and the modem/router, you can move the console/TP-link anywhere within range of the router/modem.  This is similar to my setup...router in one room, console and TP-link in another, and I can use my laptop anywhere in the house to check my WX.
Davis Vantage Pro 2/Weather Display
Meteobridge 3.3/TP-MR3020/Belfryboy logger
WU-KCOCANON7/CWOP-DW5626

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 09:58:44 AM »
I am up and running fine now with no apparent problems.  I report to WU and CWOP.  I can still use my WL software by using an IP address.  I can also use Cumulus, but unfortunately not at the same time as WL. I choose obsolete WL because it stores historical data on my hard drive (who knows if WU will always do this??)
On my previous computer, I used VVS and this allowed me to run both at the same time.  I didn't transfer that software over to new desktop.
Meteobridge won't go down with annoying Windows updates, as occured previously.  I had to get a message from WU informing me that my station wasn't sending data (while away on 4 day trips) and then go to Team Viewer from a remote laptop to turn desktop back on and restart VVS.

anything