Author Topic: I am considering purchasing this used Vantage Pro 2  (Read 1245 times)

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
I am considering purchasing this used Vantage Pro 2
« on: April 04, 2017, 10:05:39 PM »
I am considering purchasing the used Vantage Pro 2 shown below. As I'm not fully up on the Davis modifications over the years, I'm hoping some of you more experienced members can shed some light on it for me. I have asked the seller but he knows way less than I do about the unit. I have some questions and then anything else you can share with me would be appreciated.

a) The ISM (I think I called it the right thing) doesn't look like the current generation. Should I be concerned?
b) I'm assuming the extra box (ISM) is a remote for the anemometer, any ideas?
c) It appears to include the aspiration fan, can you confirm?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: I am considering purchasing this used Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
You have a DFARS VP2. It has a fan that operates in the daytime only. You also appear to have a remote transmitter for the anemometer so it can be separated from the main station (called an ISS, intergraded sensor suite). Only way of knowing what console you have is to post the serial # on the back, then the age and version can be determined. Then you can move forward.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
You have a DFARS VP2. It has a fan that operates in the daytime only. You also appear to have a remote transmitter for the anemometer so it can be separated from the main station (called an ISS, intergraded sensor suite). Only way of knowing what console you have is to post the serial # on the back, then the age and version can be determined. Then you can move forward.

In addition to CW2274's great comments, get the manufacturing code that should be listed on the printed circuit board assembly. It is in the ISS--the white transmitting box attached to the ISS. These numbers will tell us when the Davis equipment was made and we can better help you.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:14:12 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »

I presume there is an anemometer somewhere to go with what you have shown?  and a datalogger?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:58:13 PM »

I presume there is an anemometer somewhere to go with what you have shown?  and a datalogger?

I asked and yes there is an anemometer. Why do you ask about the datalogger? Because of the USB cable pictured? I did ask but he's not sure. He's selling the unit for someone else. I'm going to call him in the morning to follow up with more questions. That's one I have presented.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 11:13:47 PM »

I asked and yes there is an anemometer. Why do you ask about the datalogger? Because of the USB cable pictured? I did ask but he's not sure. He's selling the unit for someone else. I'm going to call him in the morning to follow up with more questions. That's one I have presented.

The datalogger is attached but embedded in the console. You open the tabs in the console that grants you access to the batteries and you will find the datalogger, if it exists. It will have either a usb or a serial connector coming out it. The datalogger is expensive and necessary if you wish to upload to the internet or even your software!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:15:19 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

If you want to connect the station to a computer you must have a connection dongle - i.e. Weatherlink datalogger which comes in serial or USB version.  I didn't see it so that why the ? 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
Thanks, yes I know the datalogger is required to communicate with my computer. I'm just not sure if one is included. I suspect not. I will find out in the tomorrow. I'll have to talk with the person who listed it and he will have to check with the owner who is an older gentleman who is not tech savvy.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:07:43 AM »
Hi, looking at the image with the big photo of the console, is that not the connection plug to the weatherlink
Its right at the bottom of the picture.... having looked a bit further, that is the weather link USB cable i beleive?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:09:24 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

anything